Keyboards=Cheesy?

I listen to a lot of industrial, ebm, electro, synthpop, etc....when I listen to that kind of music, I want to be drowning in keyboard/synth sounds.
Keys are good in metal as long as their used at a tasteful level.

dreamtheater does over do it allot and i hate key board players who think there guitarist ........you key board players need to either stop it or pick up a guitar and do it the right way !!!!..... same for the guitarist who think they have mastered piano because they can play toccata and fugue on guitar.....even though it does sound cool if done right

I love keyboards. I take lessons on them and play them in a band. I love bands like CoB, Skyfire, Norther and Kalmah, all who use keyboards alot in their music. However, I don't like that band Warmen which seems to be only keyboards.

Sorry, but there's that one sound the prog bands overuse. Don't know the name of the patch or even to describe the sound, except for maybe a helium fart or a mouse being squeezed. Dream Theater uses it, Symphony X uses it...so does Scholomance. In fact, I would really dig the hell out of Scholomance if they cut that out entirely.

But that's the thing... the only reason keyboards sound cheesy is when they're overused. If they're used at a time when it's appropriate, and the song needs balance, or atmosphere, they're absolutely great.

Maybe that's the problem with having a keyboardist in the band... them wanting to play when it isn't needed.

Originally posted by Nightmarez
But that's the thing... the only reason keyboards sound cheesy is when they're overused. If they're used at a time when it's appropriate, and the song needs balance, or atmosphere, they're absolutely great.

Maybe that's the problem with having a keyboardist in the band... them wanting to play when it isn't needed.

Too true. Arcturus uses the same sound on The Sham Mirrors, but it works there or doesn't totally ruin a song for me.

I personally think that keyboards are cool- but only if they're used in proper coordination with the song. Not if it's just some shitty backbeat that continues the whole way through. It's gotta be used wisely- to give the proper effect, otherwise it just makes the sound totally wrong, which can completely ruin a potentially brilliant track.

Originally posted by Nightmarez
You guys tell me what you think...

I for one, think that as long as they're not overdone, keyboards can add just the right feeling, or mood to the song. They add sort of a balance if they're put in the right spot at the right time. However... constant keyboarding over guitar can get very annoying...very fast... at least to me that is.

Depends on the musical situation... But personally I love keys!!

Depends on band, the style of music and the way they are used. I really hate the power metal-type of synths, the annoying solos of Sonata Arctica and Children Of Bodom.

Power(so called)metal keyboards is really bad...
God...the solos of CoB makes me sick.

But that just because i really don't like powermetal.

But BM bands usally use the keyboard in a good way.:headbang:

Keyboards are good, as long as they're used to add atmosphere, or to make a chilling sound, instead of running the show. I also tend to like alot of bands which use keyboards, so I guess that makes me biased towards them.