Language constructions/misuse that piss you off

Something that I find frustrating (I now try and avoid it at all costs, but I see people do it a lot) is when people confuse singular and plural pronouns.

You don't pick up on it as easily in spoken phrases, but it's more obvious in typed cases. For example:

"Someone might fail to pass a GRE exam, but that doesn't mean that they are unfit for graduate level work."

"Someone" and "they" don't match up; "someone" is singular, while "they" is plural. This is a mistake that lots of people make, including myself (although I'm a fiend about it now, so I rarely do anymore). And it's actually easy to avoid. Just replace "someone" with "people" (or some variant of a plural, as "people" by itself might sound strange).
People use "they" in that situation because writing "he or she" is awkward and pointless. Personally I would if "they" became the acceptable way to write that sentence. Ideally we could invent a word that mean "he or she" but it's not going to happen, so "they" is the best we have.

When someone asks me how I'm doing, I always reply with "could be better." Interestingly, the asker always seems to think that something is wrong with me when in reality there isn't, it's just a statement of fact. Most often this occurs at work, but people are too goddamn stupid to realize that I would rather be somewhere other than work, like oh I don't know, playing golf or something?

That rant probably doesn't fall within the context of this thread, but either way it's interesting.

Ebonics that are used constantly instead of in a joking manner.

Bad spelling.

When "you" is abbreviated as "u".

So if you ever managed to get something published that contained a grammatical error, would you ever be able to sleep at night?

So if you ever managed to get something published that contained a grammatical error, would you ever be able to sleep at night?

Well if I ever ever published something that contained a grammatical error ever, I'd talk to my editor ever and get him to correct it on the next pressing... ever.

But no, I wouldn't lose sleep. You see, I am a laidback person. No thoughts can get between me and my sleep. And I don't let the errors bother me for more than ten minutes, typically, unless they're a repeated offense.

But no, I wouldn't lose sleep. You see, I am a laidback person.

Laidback but not laid. OH SHIT SON!!11

No but seriously, I just thought that since about a fourth of this thread contained hate-spewing posts from you with death threats to anyone who fails to use contractions, that you know..maybe you were a little bit stressed in general.

Also, nice catch on the ever :lol:

So, i'm from other country but i can imagine how annoying it is cuz here happens the same thing.

well, idiots will exist everywhere, but you know what is worst? who writes like that doesn't know the correct form.

bunnycake.jpg

Show me where I threatened to kill someone.

This brings me to my next one: failing to use contractions, such as, "I seen her walking that way," instead of, "I've seen her walking that way," or, "I saw her walking that way." I swear, the next person to do that will get stabbed in the larynx

Thinly veiled sarcasm not noted? Thought you were the expert on that!