Languages

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerRobot

^___^
Feb 21, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
www.myspace.com
I have been wanting to learn a foreign language for a while, for multiple reasons. First of all, I think it could be fun, and it'd give me a reason to study abroad. Secondly, it seems that learning another language would only increase the effectiveness of your thought patterns, or allow you to think differently when you think in the other language.

I know lots of people here speak a foreign language. Do you think it increased your intelligence? What language should I learn considering these points?

I'm a language freak and as Polish I'm already anvanced in English and know German as to communicate (this one is difficult :/ ). I plan to learn Portuguese this vacation and I learn Arabic at college though this year we made not much progress..

It's a shame that you (meaning Americans) are not given the chance to learn languages at school. Our kids learn English or German since they are 7.

French is very complicated so I wouldnt recommend this one. Though it is used in Canada and could be useful. Simple languages for English-only-speakers should be Italian, Portuguese or Spanish for they have many words in common and grammar isnt very hard to learn. German is more demanding.

And a quotation to finish this monologue:
"You have as many lives as many languages you speak" ^^
I think that learning languages is worth the effort.

Since you live in the US, Spanish would probably be a better option. Just because there are so many Mexicans living in the US now-a-days. I tried learning it for 2 years in high school, and hated every moment of it. Its alot of work to learn another language, but good luck if you try.

Status
Not open for further replies.