Latest CD you bought...

Mechanical Poet that good? I remember getting their Tales For Freaky Children album back in 2007, when they were supposed to play on Progpower Europe, but cancelled when it turned out that the organisation wouldn't pay for their plane tickets. I wasn't really impressed with that album, since it was pretty much only 5-6 songs and then some of those songs again, only translated in Russian. On top of that the quality of the album wasn't great and the songs didn't really 'grip' me, so to say. Perhaps their new material is better though.

What makes Mechanical Poet wow to you?

My girlfriend just lent me Tales For Freaky Children... I was severely disappointed with that album. It wasn't memorable or even powerful at all, and it was just too weird.

Woodland Prattlers is their debut, and it, on the other hand, is awesome. It's heavy, it's catchy, it's just got some really good songwriting. The vocalist is better, too. It has some quirky things to it, but it's quality.

Over the christmas period i got:

Pagan's Mind - Live Equation Limited Box Set [Excellent DVDs!]
Luca Turilli - King of the Nordic Twilight
Creed - Full Circle

And ordered

Luca Turilli - Prophet of the Last Eclipse
Luca Turilli - The Infinite Wonders of Creation [Now i'm up to date :lol:]
Alter Bridge - One Day Remains

It Bites - The Tall Ships

Heard a couple of songs off of this album the first time around when I was listening to Progulus Radio (which is pretty damn awesome, btw!). Got totally hooked after requesting a few other songs off the album and finally went ahead and bought it (after I managed to find it in the pop section of my local record store....wtf?). This album is a lesson in oldschool prog rock and John Mitchell is an amazing vocalist!

200px-Legend_of_the_Shadowking.jpg

Freedom Call -Legend of the Shadowking

Just came out today. Adds to an already stellar FC discography. It's more proof FC cannot bring out an album that doesn't make you smile from ear to ear, sing-a-long and headbang/air guitar accross the floor. Some of the songs are even a lil darker/heavier, Chris Bay shows off his vocal range :headbang: :kickass: BUY IT!

Epica - Design Your Universe
Sons of Seasons - Gods of Vermin
Power Quest - Master of Illusion (a new, unharmed copy, about time!)
Avantasia - The Metal Opera, Part 1

And apparently three other surprise albums on the way for my birthday... hmm...!

Edguy - Rocket Ride (Digipack edition)
Avantasia - Lost in Space Pt1 & 2
[Really can't wait for the new Avantasia albums :headbang: i find i'm enjoying everything Tobias has ever put out at the moment]
Kamelot - Epica (£3.48 from Amazon! Bargola :kickass:)

Great album! What do you think, Steve?

Not at all convinced by this one

1. Vocals seem particularly weak compared to previous efforts

2. The longer songs seem a little meandering to me.

3. First 3 songs I like...even if Gods of Thunder sounds alarming like "Freedom Call" from the Crystal Empire album in places. Love the riff though

It all seems a bit disposable to me dude at this stage......I'm finding this a lot with bands these days.

Not at all convinced by this one

1. Vocals seem particularly weak compared to previous efforts

2. The longer songs seem a little meandering to me.

3. First 3 songs I like...even if Gods of Thunder sounds alarming like "Freedom Call" from the Crystal Empire album in places. Love the riff though

It all seems a bit disposable to me dude at this stage......I'm finding this a lot with bands these days.

Aw, that's a shame. Though, the only other Freedom Call album I've listened to is Crystal Empire, so I don't have the experience with their older stuff that most others do.

Nazareth - Hair of the Dog
Gamma Ray - To the Metal
Honeymoon Suite - s/t
W.A.S.P. - Babylon
Ace Frehley - Anomaly
White Wizzard - High Speed GTO
Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
Enuff Z'Nuff - Strength
Lord Weird Slough Feg - Ape Uprising!

Aw, that's a shame. Though, the only other Freedom Call album I've listened to is Crystal Empire, so I don't have the experience with their older stuff that most others do.

I think the first 3 records for me were the best.

I tend to find that, a bit like Gamma ray for me, there are 4 or 5 cool songs and I just don't like the rest at all.....a little too samey perhaps. But there again I'm sure some people would say that about PQ as well! lol!

I think the first 3 records for me were the best.

I tend to find that, a bit like Gamma ray for me, there are 4 or 5 cool songs and I just don't like the rest at all.....a little too samey perhaps. But there again I'm sure some people would say that about PQ as well! lol!

Gotta get into more Gamma Ray, now that you mention them! I only have Land of the Free 2 - not a bad album, but not spellbinding, either!

I just bought this morning:
- Bal-Sagoth: The Chthonic Chronicles
- Bal-Sagoth: The Power Cosmic
- Naglfar: Sheol
- Winterborn: Cold Reality