Let's talk Bergstrand

For those of you who liked Stabbing the Drama's mix, Nine's "Killing Angels" is a similar Bergstrand-sounding mix. It's got that same thing going on.

Sounds like a cool mix, much more natural than STD. I LOVE the music too!

edit: The first song on their MySpace is really cool and has a sick mix, but I can't find any information about what album its off or anything. Any info?

Bump.

When you see pictures of him in the studio micing drums, heputs a mic on each cymbal. ThenI'm curious whohe treatd them in the mix. I pressumehe manually phase aligns them, but does he also gate them? Since every cymbal has it's own mic it seemms quite logical.

I just spot mic'ed all the cymbals much like that in a session just this week. Helps get a ton of separation on the kit. Everything sounds really close and defined. The cymbals themselves take quite a bit more EQ to sound right in the mix, but you get a lot more control over everything too. Generally haven't had need to manually phase align anything. Just a standard phase invert on snare top in order to get the bottom end back with the cymbal mics, and life's good.

I think I'll try this very soon. I'm really interested on how this would translate to a mix and how the EQ needs to be handled. Getting more seperation is actually pretty cool on this. Normally I have no problem with L/R seperation doing my normal trick, but interesting to see how this would work out.

I'm especially siked about the china sounds he gets. It's cool to see a lot of guys have different techniques to get them there.

I've been relistening to The Apostasy, Stabbing the Drama, Reroute to Remain & Expanding Senses. All brutal mixes!

p.s. I typed the previous message almost a sleep in my bed, when I just returned from a wedding of a friend, guess what state I was in.

I think I'll try this very soon. I'm really interested on how this would translate to a mix and how the EQ needs to be handled. Getting more seperation is actually pretty cool on this. Normally I have no problem with L/R seperation doing my normal trick, but interesting to see how this would work out.

I.

I would recommend you to have some sort of stereo ambience if you are gonna spot mic the cymbals real close, just to glue things together.

+1
Having a very little room for drums I started to use spot micing for cymbals, just to have more separation and less shitty room bleedings...it works really well and I've never had any problem with phase. Stereo room mics to glue everything.

The key to Bergstrand's sound is the drums. There was some real magic in that live room at the original Dug Out. Some of that was lost when he moved. I thought that I read somewhere that he tried to re-create that space in the new facility???

He really should find a new mastering engineer though. Some of his albums (R2R and STYE, for example) are totally trashed because the low end is totally outta control and that layer of noise is on top of everything. It's a shame, because under that bullshit there are some truly amazing recordings.

The only prod I really dig by Bergstrand is "City", because it is absolutely mad and fits so perfectly with the music. I think a real producer job doesn't consist in finding the "biggest" sound, but to suit the musical purpose of the artist you are working with. I mean, sometimes, the artist himself doesn't know how much exactly the "matter" of the sound affects his music. This is the producer's job. "City" is ugly sounding, chaotic, even stupid, but is is precisely what SYL is : a punk band playing with all the buttons of a nuclear powerplant.

Necroed this because I'm jamming the shit out of both Stabbing the Drama and Expanding Senses lately. I know people get sick of that same snare but I love it. Sounds huge.

Stabbing the Drama is still a shining example of low end in a metal mix. If I could figure out that trick I think I'd die happy.

Ah good to know. Might be time to delve into the Toontrack stuff finally. I bought Addictive Drums 2 and some of their expansions but for metal I'm not having much luck getting useable sounds (it's great for most other music styles though).

The Metal! pack has I think three kits mixed by Bergstrand. I think they sound terrible, but I tend not to like his snares and kicks so I'm sure that's part of it.