Life of Pi

I fully recommend Siddhartha to just about anyone, unless they prefer reading DVD instruction manuals instead of good literature.

It's a simple story about one man's journey into Buddhism over the course of many years, and it is quite beautiful. Nearly the entire time reading it I looked like this: :)

Bump because I started reading this today, about 10 pages or so. Reminds me very much of a book in the way that small lines, spaces, and marks are used to form words into coherent thoughts in a language I can understand. Pretty neat.

EDIT: My grammEr, she smells of an ox.

I am dying for others to read this. It's like one of those books that needs immediate discussion once it's read. Good thing NAD reads fast. We may have to take the discussion off-line. :)

You slackers should really read this before Shyamalan releases the film in the few months.

Great book.

Really cool stuff about India, your town seems awsome JayKee =) Have you been to the Zoo?

Nope, but after reading the book, I felt like going backpacking around India! Especially to all those tea houses that the author visits at the beginning.

It's a phenomenal book. I'm waiting for others to read it because I want to talk about the island with the meer cats, the fresh water pools, and the acid algae roots. Of course, I don't want to give away any spoilers but that book is full of metaphors galore.

JayKeeley said:
Nope, but after reading the book, I felt like going backpacking around India! Especially to all those tea houses that the author visits at the beginning.
If you want company, let me know. I was reading this book on the beaches of Playa. After the first few chapters, I turned to my wife and said, "How about vacationing in India?"

Sadly, shortly after he built the raft that he tied to the boat, I lost interest. And since that coincided with the conclusion of my vacation, I haven't found time to revisit it.

Zod

YOU HAVE TO FINISH THIS BOOK. PLEASE TRUST ME ON THIS!!!111 :tickled: Yes, I admit that the chapters where he's trying to gather himself with the tiger in the boat can stretch on a bit, just as his descriptions of all the animals in the zoo (and their habits)....but stick with it, and an amazing turn of events comes into place. Honestly, when I finished reading it, I had to call my mother up in England just to discuss it. (She was the one who recommended it to me in the first place).

I recommended it to my last prject manager in Florida, and 3 weeks after I left the project, he called me on the cellphone dying to speak about it. I think his voicemail started with "HOLY SHIT!!! Call me back now!!!". Or something like that, hahaha.

This is Shyamalan through and through. The film should be extraordinary.

JayKeeley said:
YOU HAVE TO FINISH THIS BOOK. PLEASE TRUST ME ON THIS!!!111 :tickled: Yes, I admit that the chapters where he's trying to gather himself with the tiger in the boat can stretch on a bit, just as his descriptions of all the animals in the zoo (and their habits)....but stick with it, and an amazing turn of events comes into place.
OK. I'll dig it out.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
Oh and by the way - not only is backpacking a cool way to travel, but doing it in India all the way up to Nepal is incredible.
Given I hate to fly, this one probably won't happen for me anytime soon. But I hope to see India some day. For now, their cuisine will have to suffice.

Zod

JayK, have you read any Hesse? This dude's style very muchly thusly reminds me of him.