Likening Coldplay to Kataonia?

I'd consider it stupid. Dunno about blasphemous though. Coldplay are one of the most overrated bands ever together with Oasis and Nirvana imho. Hah.

i'd pull out my broadsword and run you through if you said that within earshot of me!

just joking, i like that coldplay album. i haven't heard their new one, but i enjoyed parachutes and the other one. i wouldn't really compare it to katatonia though.

They dont compare to katatonia! Coldplay are good but nothing origional and its annoying the way everwhere you go you keep hearing coldplay songs till its stuck in your head then you hate it!

I love the Parachutes album, great songwriting...their new one is pretty dull, maybe two good songs but anyhow they sound nothing like any era of Katatonia, what are you thinking?

They can't really be compared to Katatonia, but i can understand why katafans might like them.

The new album x&y is pretty good.

I really like coldplay....I dont own any of their CDs, but I like em.....sometimes I think they have some really melancholic sound to them.....so in that aspect I could see somewhat how they would be likened to Katatonia.....but other than that they are in no way similar to Katatonia...........

i do like coldplay too.. 'parachutes' is their best album imo.. but i like 'a rush of blood to the head' too.. i'm really into lots of 'alternative' music.. and really don't care with their are on TV or not.. sometimes I don't even now it, until someone tells me..

They are awesome! (havent heard the new album though...)

I definetly see why someone could compare them.. melancholic music.
but i wouldnt compare them.
noone compares to Katatonia :)

Coldplay's good...better than Boobastank. But I don't think Parachutes has anything over new Katatonia. I actually think I like it better than last fair deal gone down...but Discouraged Ones. Hell no dude.

VampiricYouth said:
Would you consider if blasphemy to liken Coldplay's album Parachutes to New-Era Katatonia?

Heh! I thought noone will ever start such a thread!
There are some similar things. Coldplay plays guitars, bass and drums and one man sings. Katatonia does so too. :tickled:

However, i love Coldplay and Katatonia=)

I should have myself clearer :p

No band can compare to Katatonia, that is for sure...Katatonia are Katatonia and because of that are my absolute favourite band. In terms of the soundscape and lyrical content of both bands though, I really can see the similarity. That cold, melancholic atmosphere is very present in both bands, Although Chris(?) and Jonas have very different voices, I think the emotive output of their voice are quite similar. The same techniques etc...

Discouraged Ones is my favourite Katatonia album I think, that is the most depressing piece of of music I've ever heard, so I wouldn't liken Coldplay to that, but definitely later stuff such as Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Viva Emptiness.

i believe the comparision is sort of like comparing katatonia and APC..
the feeling are pretty similar, but the music itself is very different.
all of them are exelent :)