1. Rob Halford (Judas Priest)
2. Ronnie james Dio (Dio/Sabbath)
3. Sebastian Bach (Skid Row)
4. Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
5. Kevin DuBrow (Quiet Riot)
6. King Diamond (Mercyful Fate)

Geoff Tate, Tony Mills, Sebastian Bach, Halford

Honorable mentions: Dio, Dickinson, Carl Albert

...and probably a dozen others I'm forgetting.

But still, Tate on top of his game was arguably the best metal singer there's been to date. Then again, how many singers could ever pull off Painkiller the way Halford did?!

Mike Howe
Messiah Marcolin
Chuck Billy

Nice no-classical calls!

So 4 more than the already mentioned (even if the original poster listed 6) will be:

Doro
Lemmy
Byff Byford
Christian Augustin

Jon Oliva, Bruce Dickinson, Geoff Tate, and Mark Antoni (of Realm). Halford's best days were in the 70's.

Geoff Tate, Tony Mills, Sebastian Bach, Halford

Honorable mentions: Dio, Dickinson, Carl Albert

...and probably a dozen others I'm forgetting.

But still, Tate on top of his game was arguably the best metal singer there's been to date. Then again, how many singers could ever pull off Painkiller the way Halford did?!

halford could never sing it live even on the tour for the album so it makes you wonder how many takes/what studio tricks were used. tim owens sings it much better live.

anyways whats strongest? loudest? biggest range?

i'd say for power and range its:
geoff tate
eric adams
michael sweet
halford

i agree tate at the top of his game was the best there ever has been. can't believe no one else listed sweet or adams

halford could never sing it live even on the tour for the album so it makes you wonder how many takes/what studio tricks were used. tim owens sings it much better live.

anyways whats strongest? loudest? biggest range?

i'd say for power and range its:
geoff tate
eric adams
michael sweet
halford

i agree tate at the top of his game was the best there ever has been. can't believe no one else listed sweet or adams

I've heard bootlegs of Halford doing Painkiller in the early 90s and did a fantastic job. Even Ripper had to drop it a few steps.

I forgot Sweet. The guy's high range is absolutely mental. Eric Adams is/was quite good, but I think the four I mentioned are quite a bit better.

There's the first of the "many I'm probably forgetting" :lol:

Ditto on Mike Howe too... what a powerhouse voice! I hear he's now a born-again Christian and has distanced himself from metal. :mad:

Seriously?! I fuckin' hate when that happens. At least Dave Mustaine continued doing metal, even if he is a self-righteous ass.

I don't know how many time you saw Judas Priest with Rob Halford but I saw them at least 9 times. The first time in 1980 on the British Steel tour and the last time twice on the Painkiller tour. I never noticed Halford not delivering his vocal lines. Sometimes even stronger and higher than on the album.

So I am quite unable to understand what you are saying. Halford was my favorite singer in the 80s by far! Next up was Geoff Tate than Dio and last but not least David Wayne.

I don't know how many time you saw Judas Priest with Rob Halford but I saw them at least 9 times. The first time in 1980 on the British Steel tour and the last time twice on the Painkiller tour. I never noticed Halford not delivering his vocal lines. Sometimes even stronger and higher than on the album.

So I am quite unable to understand what you are saying. Halford was my favorite singer in the 80s by far! Next up was Geoff Tate than Dio and last but not least David Wayne.

first off this thread said 80's so no clue how a song from the 90's got in the mix. next off:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GveGqk5N8Vc&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFVqEDDuaAo&feature=related[/ame]

all 3 of those sound pretty much like ass. ripper sang the song downtuned a step but it still sounded better than that. halford has it downtuned now and it still sounds bad

Last edited by a moderator:
All those tracks are from the early 90s. What does that have to do with the 80s? And I did not mention a track from the 90s, I mentioned the painkiller tour. See the difference?

All those tracks are from the early 90s. What does that have to do with the 80s? And I did not mention a track from the 90s, I mentioned the painkiller tour. See the difference?

i see the difference. you said he sang stronger and higher on the tour but there are lots of videos of other tunes where he is struggling.

i see the difference. you said he sang stronger and higher on the tour but there are lots of videos of other tunes where he is struggling.

No I did not say that. You are twisting my words.

This is what I said:

So I am quite unable to understand what you are saying.

I told you about my personal experiences. I have never heard Halford not delivering his vocal lines. Why do I have to repeat myself to you?

In the 80s Halford was the best and strongest vocalist I ever saw.

I personally have never heard him sing like in the youtubes you posted. And just to make it clear; even there I think he is pretty good.

Is it all clear for you now? If not, work on our reading comprehension. Normally people must pay me to explain basic stuff like this to them.

1. MIDNIGHT
2. MIDNIGHT
3. MIDNIGHT
4. MIDNIGHT

:headbang:

Seriously, for adding some names:

1. MIDNIGHT
2. RAY ALDER
3. STEVE GRIMMET (Grim Reaper)
4. MIKE SOLIZ (Militia, Watchtower, Oblivion Knight)