List your picks 4 strongest vocalists of the 80's

Well since you said four "strongest" I will name what I think to be just that....... over the top guys that can blow you down with power, as opposed to my four personal favorites.

4) Steve Grimmett - incredible range and power. Still sounds good.
3) Mark Slaughter - Had I not seen this guy live, he never would never have made any list of mine, but his voice could peel paint off the walls.
2) Bruce Dickenson - I am actually not a big Maiden fan, but Bruce is not known as "the air raid siren" for nothing. Incredible lungs.
1) Geoff Tate - While not my personal "favorite" singer, when he was in his prime......... he was in his own category. His voice was a freak of nature.

Some good answers on this post, tough to pick four ..... Bach, Dio, Halford, Howe (my personal fave) The King. They all could bring it.

Bryant

its too bad mark slaughter has a bad voice now due to growths on his vocal chords

its too bad mark slaughter has a bad voice now due to growths on his vocal chords

He had surgery for those in 1992. He was back in 1993. The show I saw was "The rock never stops" tour, probably in 1998 It had Quiet Riot headlining with Slaughter and Warrant opening. It was the original Quiet Riot lineup. I more or less went to that show for nostalgic regions for Quiet Riot. QR and Warrant were not even in the same league as Slaughter, especially vocally.
I am not a fan of his work so much on disc, so I haven't kept up too much with them, but I know Mark makes his living mostly as a voice actor, doing voice overs on movies and cartoons and stuff.

Bryant

He had surgery for those in 1992. He was back in 1993. The show I saw was "The rock never stops" tour, probably in 1998 It had Quiet Riot headlining with Slaughter and Warrant opening. It was the original Quiet Riot lineup. I more or less went to that show for nostalgic regions for Quiet Riot. QR and Warrant were not even in the same league as Slaughter, especially vocally.
I am not a fan of his work so much on disc, so I haven't kept up too much with them, but I know Mark makes his living mostly as a voice actor, doing voice overs on movies and cartoons and stuff.

Bryant

yeah marks voice went out about 2006

I checked twice, I cannot BELIEVE none of you have mentioned John Tardy from obituary!

He's right up there with Chuck Schuldiner, for 80's Death metal...

Wow it's soo hard & so many good ones. We all know that Dickinson, Halford and Dio are gonna be at the top of almost everyone's list so I'll go for 4 seperate singers here.

Michael Sweet
Micjael Kiske
Jon Oliva
John Cyriis

Who's that?? Listen up.

Last edited by a moderator: