Listening to thread???

For a while I didn't get the wailing vocals (he literally just wails most of the song), but I kinda dig it now. That piano ending is gorgeous, however.

It's hilarious. I love all the BM purists calling post-black metal ridiculous, as if ten inch spikes and corpsepaint weren't already ridiculous. I get it, it's part of the image, but some people think they walk around the grocery store like that.

Maybe you could recommend something then, because pretty much all of the "post rock" bands that I've tried listening to were boring as shit, and borderline shoegazing.
this is some post-metal-heavy-proggy kinda stuff you may dig, fairly tech without wank, spectrum of 'clean' to 'full strength' vocals, like a mix of older Isis and newer Gojira:

same album, this one is a bit more nuts, probably a bit more indicative of the rest of the album:

Reactions: Talking Backwards
More 80s cheese incoming! Anyway, I just found this amusing. It's like if Jeff Loomis had joined Kamelot instead of Arch Enemy.

This guy really loved This Godless Endeavor.

Last edited:
The most hilarious fucking thing of, well a while, is that the back and forth of "you just like 80s cheese/prog/no new music" vs "the fuck?", randomly had me stumble upon Anciients the other day. Other than there simply being a thread about Opeth, and me looking for an example, I'm not exactly sure what led me to the specific page that I visited, but I'm glad it did. Been listening to Heart of Oak pretty much non stop. This is from their upcoming album:

Or just a long driving trip! The album's really good, actually. I've been following Bloody Hammers for a while, and they've always been really good but just weren't enough apart from the rest for me to really dig into them. Nothing was too memorable until I heard this new album, their fourth. They completely changed from psychedelic occult doom to REAL goth rock from the 90s with a southern psychedelic doom rock shtick with a touch of dark wave. It's really interesting and amazingly catchy.

Since we're posting about once great bands that have a new album soon...

Not really impressed with this at all. It sounds like another band doing their best to rewrite a FILLER song from Kill 'Em All, but falling way short. If this is any indication, the new album will probably be even more boring than Death Magnetic.

Yep, heard it the other evening. It's just Hit the Lights sped up. It's an improvement over Death Magnetic, but if they continue in this vein at least the album will be interesting. I like the thrashy aggression and I hope they keep it and this wasn't just a one-off.

That said, the drums are way too loud, the kicks sound like they are just plug-ins, and the guitars are way too low in the mix with too many mids. They need to raise the guitars, up the bass and lower the mids and get that AJFA sound back, because judging by the drumming, that's what they're kinda going for.

You would have thought after all those years Lars would have learned to make interesting drum patterns. And I'm not even talking about the non-existent bass drum work. The song is very simple, but with a good drum, it would have been enjoyable instead of just boring. Well at least the snare sound is ok this time.

Sunburst wants to be Nevermore real bad. Surprised they don't have a second guitarist. One guitar in that style can limit you, like Communic.

Yep, heard it the other evening. It's just Hit the Lights sped up.

Hit the Lights sped up?? What the hell are you listening to? It's a slower song. It's not bad, the drums sound like shit, and really, "we're so fucked" is a lame lyric, but it's still better than what they were doing.

Last edited:
Sunburst wants to be Nevermore real bad. Surprised they don't have a second guitarist. One guitar in that style can limit you, like Communic.

Hit the Lights sped up?? What the hell are you listening to? It's a slower song. It's not bad, the drums sound like shit, and really, "we're so fucked" is a lame lyric, but it's still better than what they were doing.

The riffing is a bit faster. Overall it's pretty much the same beat and tempo.

Not really sure what you mean, unless you're specifically thinking of live performances. Besides, Waves of Visual Decay was about perfect.

Yes exactly. Nevermore's style demands 2 guitars live. That live version of EoR with the band as a four piece is just bad.

Reactions: nckissfan
Wasn't sure which thread to post this in. Oh well. Should be right up Traxan's alley though!

Last edited: