Live Album In Your Collection

Some bands are much better live than they ever could be in the studio.

Allman Bros. many great live albums are one of the first that come to mind.

well, I went to see Dave Matthews Band live. I can't really stomach the stuff when it's played on the radio or my fiance plays it, but that was a damn good show. His saxophone player is awe-inspiring.

Helmet was also great live, both times I saw 'em, but I don't think I'd buy a live album just because I enjoyed the show.

And if Opeth's live show was any indication of their live DVD, no thanks.

NAD said:
Yeah but there's a lot of shitty live albums out there. Case in point, Nine Inch Nails is an INCREDIBLE band live. Tons of energy, extremely lengthy and interesting show (over two hours and I never got bored), and all kinds of kickass shit. They released a live album from the tour I saw them on, and it SUCKED SHIT.
Heh, I saw NIN get booed off stage when supporting GnR on the Use your Illusion tour in Mannheim, Germany. It was quite extraordinary to be surrounded by 100,000 krauts waving their concert tickets in the air at the opening band...must be a German custom or something. Skid Row were received well, but of course, GnR stole the show.

The opening band will always have the toughest crowd, especially when they're playing in broad daylight (and when everyone is still sober).

The best piece of music Trent Reznor has ever written was the soundtrack to Quake.

JayKeeley said:
The best piece of music Trent Reznor has ever written was the soundtrack to Quake.
I have 20 some odd NIN CDs yet I've never heard this. I think Dill offered to burn a copy for me, better bug him...

Saw Opeth live a few times, they are excellent in concert.

Also,

NIN > GnR + Skid Row :loco:

JayKeeley said:
I also have Opeth's Lamentations at the Shephards Bush Empire. Biggest waste of money ever. This is just a crock, and I just feel totally jipped. I thought that the Damnation stuff might work better live, and it really doesn't. Not bad, just boring as hell.

They played Windowpane and In My Time of Need when I saw them and it was a nice break and very good, right in between a heavy set. I wouldn't want to hear Damnation live in it's entirety though.

The song selection on the DVD is of course not real great, but it probably has something to do with the label more than anything else. Deliverance, The Moor, April Ethereal, Demon of the Fall, Blackwater Park, Master's Apprentices etc. are all great live and it's unfortunate they couldn't include more of these. The Damnation stuff isn't bad live, you just wouldn't want to sit through the whole album. Opeth is at their best live when they are at their heaviest.

I wouldn't mind seeing a DVD of the Lamentations tour. Great setlist and Moonspell put on a very entertaining show too. I could go without seeing Devildriver ever again though. :tickled:

J. said:
You assume wrong. It's Jeff, for the 48498191654435484th time.
:lol: bless :)

I'll second PJ on Dio's rendition of N.I.B., a great interpretation. Hell, Live Evil is worth the money just to hear him saying "I am Iron Man!" :lol:

Papa Josh said:

One of my faves though is Live Evil from Sabbath. Hearing Dio's renditions of "Black Sabbath" and "N.I.B." makes me wet my pants.:kickass: :worship:

True.

Although, I never really liked the way he did "War Pigs" just becuase he sings along with the instrumental Iommi sections - it just seems wrong to hear all those "whoa whoas" over Iommis melodies.

"War Pigs" is one of those songs that only Ozzy can really pull off. I do like the Faith No More version though.

The reason why the Opeth DVD is so disappointing is exactly because they dismissed everything prior to BWP. I know this is a label thing or whatever, but I can't imagine that any Opeth fan wouldn't want to see a better live DVD with songs from all their albums. If it was done right, it could have been a fantastic release.

I really wanted to like Damnation, and thought the DVD might help.

I've seen Opeth 4 times now, and truth be known, I would rather have one pre-BWP song in place of two-Damnation songs.

Fuck, I'd rather hear them do "Remember Tomorrow".

Fuck fuck, I'd rather see Maiden do "Remember Tomorrow".

Fuck fuck fuck, I'd rather see Maiden.

:loco:

JayKeeley said:
True.

Although, I never really liked the way he did "War Pigs" just becuase he sings along with the instrumental Iommi sections - it just seems wrong to hear all those "whoa whoas" over Iommis melodies.
I disagree on the vocal melodies, in fact, the only reason Ozzy didn't is because he can't. Tony Martin also did the vocal melodies over certain solo parts. It's more of a audience participation thing than anything, which goes back to part of what makes the live experience so special.

I can only agree with that :) the guy from Seqouyah does them too when they do their War Pigs cover. It's a welcome addition to the song.

JayKeeley said:
Fuck, I'd rather hear them do "Remember Tomorrow".

Fuck fuck, I'd rather see Maiden do "Remember Tomorrow".

Fuck fuck fuck, I'd rather see Maiden.

:loco:
:lol: