Weirdest/Rarest Album in your collection?

Rarest? probably something out of these:

first three The Chasm CD's (all near mint)
Under Moonlight Sadness - After the Cosmic Gate
maudlin of the Well - all three (original releases)
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Power of Omens - Eyes of the Oracle
Immortal Souls/Mordecai split - Divine Wintertime/Through the Woods, Towards the Dawn
Boris with Michio Kurihara - Rainbow (Japanese release)

can't think of the rest right now..

I have all these Japanese mini-LP prog remasters but I don't know that those are really rare as they are expensive/available through only a few stores.

Odd stuff, well, usually people would say "weird" is the most dissonant or noisy thing, in that case it might be Boris - Cloud Chamber...which is Boris being noisy in a whole other way, or Wadada Leo Smith - Lake Biwa, which is something like chamber classical meets the most extreme of free jazz ... Smith, by the way, is a phenomenal trumpet player who has been influential in free jazz/creative music for 30+ years, highly recommended stuff. If I were to say "weirdest" myself, I might vote for Wadada's 'Luminous Axis' album, a trumpet/percussion/laptop performed piece of music, which to me, is something that seems like people will only start getting in like 15 years, or maybe Herbie Hancock's 'Crossings', which goes to space, and comes back by way of the back of your cerebral cortex.

As far as CDs go, I think my rarest / weirdest are my Ambeon - "Fate of a Dreamer" CD and my Nest - "Trail of the Unwary" CD.

As far as my vinyl collection, probably my Agalloch - "WhiteDivisionGrey" LP or my Ahab - "The Call Of The Wretched Sea" LP (my favorite of my collection).

Love that White Sister release! I was listening to their other one Fashion by Passion the other day actually.

For me, I have never met anyone else that knows and has heard this band that I love from the early/mid 80s:

cover%2B-%2BKopia.jpg

Hard to describe the album. It had a lot of different, often weird, things going on (metal/punk/rock/experimental). Ahead of its time, or in another time altogether!

There are some tracks on Youtube:

Last edited:
That's a tough one. I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person (or at the very least, the first person) in North America to own a copy of Helion "Fool's Paradise". I had to contact the band directly to get it, and they said they'd never shipped to the USA before. Also own one of the "official" copies of "The Neverending Sun" by Onward, from right before they broke up (so stoked that they're back together now), and I have a lot of the old Bluelight Records reissues of Tarot's back catalog.

I have the Nasty Savage "Wages of Mayhem" demos on cassette, with the copying machine cover, autographed by the entire band, from back in the mid 80's. This was back in the tape trading days, where you could order a demo from an ad in the back of a magazine. 20 years later they officially released this, which I also bought, which may or may not also be rare, since I never see it around anywhere

White Eagle - Bustin' Ass (EP) on CD. (Ebay average selling price for this is over 400.00)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kick Axe's "Vices"...what a great album. I'll trump that one with my pristine vinyl versions of that, plus Welcome To The Club and Rock The World.

That's some good rockin' there...

I absolutely *love* Kick Axe...I have Vices and Welcome to the Club on both vinyl and CD, and 2 version of RtW on CD (the original issue and the re-issue)...oh, and the "reunion" cd they did, IV. These guys are by far my favorite unsung '80s metal band (with Coney Hatch in 2nd place on that list). I think George Criston was one of the best singers in the genre; I've got a couple other CDs he did, one was a band called Paradise (which I believe was led by a former Loverboy member), and Criston-Harvey, which I think put out just the one CD.

As far as hard-to-find stuff, I've got a few...the first that comes to mind is Jack Starr's Out of the Darkness, with Rhett Forrester on vocals. I'd love for this to get re-issued with a decent mastering job (acually I've got the original vinyl, and then Starr put it out on CD himself IIRC...it sounds terrible, though). "False Messiah" is a killer, killer track on here.

Jack-Starr-Out-Of-The-Darkne-550811.jpg

I absolutely *love* Kick Axe...I have Vices and Welcome to the Club on both vinyl and CD, and 2 version of RtW on CD (the original issue and the re-issue)...oh, and the "reunion" cd they did, IV. These guys are by far my favorite unsung '80s metal band (with Coney Hatch in 2nd place on that list). I think George Criston was one of the best singers in the genre; I've got a couple other CDs he did, one was a band called Paradise (which I believe was led by a former Loverboy member), and Criston-Harvey, which I think put out just the one CD.

As far as hard-to-find stuff, I've got a few...the first that comes to mind is Jack Starr's Out of the Darkness, with Rhett Forrester on vocals. I'd love for this to get re-issued with a decent mastering job (acually I've got the original vinyl, and then Starr put it out on CD himself IIRC...it sounds terrible, though). "False Messiah" is a killer, killer track on here.

Jack-Starr-Out-Of-The-Darkne-550811.jpg

I would love to hear the stuff you have with George...truly underground, indeed!

Rock on!

Not the weirdest or maybe not the rarest piece in my collection but still pretty cool; and it is better quality than what Metalblade used to release. Anyway this is the original CHS from the fan club and those who know this band will realize how far back that is.

DSCN0459.jpg

Lets see, some of the more rare/obscure CDs I own:

Mystere de Notre Dame - s/t

Carisma - 1825

Dividing Horizons - Seizure

Sunblaze - Illuminating Heights

Timesphere - Tranquility to Tempest
56425e7d82c8105713b52ff6f26045f4.jpg

Nothing on YouTube for this one, which is too bad because its awesome​

Mindscape - s/t

GREAT Queensryche clone, too bad they only released one album. (Technically 2 I guess, the 2nd had the same tracks as the first plus a couple more, that's the one I have)

Gone - Weakness Within Living Memory
gone-weakness-within-living-memory.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: