Live shows

Saw Immolation and two of the dudes from Sepultura last night. Immolation was badass. I wish the volume was a little louder, but I on the other hand, I love how clean the sound is at that venue. Makes it easy to follow all of those delicious leads.

I left after three songs of the quasi-Sepultura set. Didn't realize they were gonna play an entire set of nu metal garbage. The saddest part was how much more into that crap the crowd was than they were into Immolation.

Next up in my queue:
Candlemass and Taake
Cyrptopsy
Morbid Angel and Suffocation

A few other maybes in the summer. Just waiting for travel plans to fall into place.

I left after three songs of the quasi-Sepultura set. Didn't realize they were gonna play an entire set of nu metal garbage. The saddest part was how much more into that crap the crowd was than they were into Immolation.

oh cmon you knew how that was going to go.

Did they play Those Left Behind?

This is the set Immolation probably played:

1. The Distorting Light
  2. Kingdom of Conspiracy
  3. Majesty and Decay
  4. Destructive Currents
  5. Swarm of Terror
  6. Fostering the Divide
  7. Immolation
  8. When the Jackals Come
  9. A Spectacle of Lies
  10. Epiphany

oh cmon you knew how that was going to go.

Did they play Those Left Behind?

Honestly, I didn't. I don't know Sepultura's discography that well. I was looking forward to hearing some thrash and giving the band a more legit shot. I had heard they were gonna play Roots in its entirety. I hadn't heard that album since high school and didn't remember anything about it.

As for Immolation, I believe the only song off Dawn of Possession they played was "Immolation." Lots of stuff off their new album.

That sounds like it could actually be cool.

There's a one man band from the city I used to live in that seemed to play at every local gig.

I can't be fucked listening to it but it always felt like each song was the same 2 or 3 'technical' riffs played over and over. At least most tech death bands go for the riff salad approach. That way you get the novelty of being bored by different things rather than the same thing over and fucking over.

Saw Gorguts last night. Second time I've seen them and fucking hell they were insanely good. They played with MGLA and Marduk. Got there too late for MGLA and caught a bit of Marduk but not for me. Pretty ridiculous paying $85 to see one band but I was drunk and did it on a whim as my mate was going.

IMG_8342.JPG

This one today :kickass::kickass:

112ca3d9-f98d-45dc-9aa7-fd880ac933e4.jpg

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
Saw DTP, Gojira and Opeth last night. Gojira was heavy as fuck and Opeth delivered as usual. Hadn't seen them since Ghost Reveries tour. The Sorceress tracks played were extremely heavy.

Saw DTP last week. Thought Devin sounded great despite having the onset of a cold. Gojira and Obituary/Gruesome playing the same night here but I had to go with the Obituary show. Would love to see them both. I keep missing Gojira :(

Saw Helmet the other week. They played Betty from start to finish. Sound was huge. Drummer did a great Stanier impression but real Stanier would have been better.
IMG_8582.JPG

Saw Arizmenda, Volahn and Candlesmass last night. Second time seeing Arizmenda and third time seeing Volahn. Both were phenomenal. Arizmenada is still one of the best and most unsettling live shows I've ever seen. Even in a larger venue, Murdunbad gets down into the crowd, crawls around half naked, throws shit at the crowd, and gets right up into people's faces. It's one of the most unsettling live performances you'll see, and I think I've concluded that Arizmenda is music about being sexually abused. Volahn played some new stuff that was epic as fuck. Cannot wait to hear their next release.

Candlemass was honestly outdone by their openers. The new vocalist is adequate, but not especially interesting. The crowd, however, was fun to watch, as they were constantly climbing onto stage and dancing around, crowd diving, and in the case of one woman, trying to make out with the singer mid-verse of Under the Oak.

Looking forward to Cryptopsy one the 2nd and Suffocation/Morbid Angel later in the month. It should be a good start to the summer.

Fuck, Cryptopsy was intense. Absolutely cathartic and enthralling to experience in person. They played None So Vile front to back, so obviously it was a fucking excellent set. Highly recommended show.

I enjoyed Decrepit Birth as well, whom I hadn't heard before. Some engaging and dynamic compositions. I'm gonna need to check them out more. Rivers of Nihil was OK, but nothing I feel the need to explore more.

Morbid Angel/Suffocation/Revocation tomorrow. Great week for shows!

How was this show? I'm seeing this tour next week.