Live shows

Last great live shows?

Septicflesh. The band is obliterating live. Massive sound, perfect performances, every guy was very energetic and played with utter conviction. Spiros' vocals are monstrous, just like on the albums, if not better.

Satyricon. A total blast live. Frost is a machine and the whole badb plays great. Satyr sounds far better live than on the albums as well.

Sad to find this thread so buried. The winter was a dry spell for me, but the one show that came around I couldn't make.

Finally broke the 2019 seal and saw Voivod, YOB, and Amenra last night. Im questioning Voivod's role in this lineup, but I like both stoner/doom stuff and, well, Voivod, so it was a good show for me. Unfortunately no moshing for Voivod, didn't expect the crowd to be so dead. Every band killed it though, so it was still a good time of smoking and boozing.

I posted a couple Voivod vids to youtube because I can:

My filming sucks because I hold the phone low enough not to be a dick while also headbanging my drunk ass off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Satanstoenail
Just saw Paladin tonight with Bit Brigade.

This summer I'm going to see The chasm/Cruciamentum/Infernal Conjuration/Vimur, Dark Funeral/Incantation/Belphegor, Iron Maiden. Then there's a fest playing with Deceased, Demolition hammer, terrorizer, Sigh, Nunslaughter, Ecotovoid, and some other stuff in the fall. Going to feel like an idiot if I don't go, but it's also multiple days and expensive-ish and I don't have the stamina for lots of standing around drunk these days.

Reactions: EternalMetal
Sad to find this thread so buried. The winter was a dry spell for me, but the one show that came around I couldn't make.

Finally broke the 2019 seal and saw Voivod, YOB, and Amenra last night. Im questioning Voivod's role in this lineup, but I like both stoner/doom stuff and, well, Voivod, so it was a good show for me. Unfortunately no moshing for Voivod, didn't expect the crowd to be so dead. Every band killed it though, so it was still a good time of smoking and boozing.

I posted a couple Voivod vids to youtube because I can:

My filming sucks because I hold the phone low enough not to be a dick while also headbanging my drunk ass off.

Extremely watchable videos man. Sound isn’t too bad either. Fuck they’re good live.

I also agree that this thread needs more action. Are people really not going to any shows?

Reactions: EternalMetal
Just saw Paladin tonight with Bit Brigade.

This summer I'm going to see The chasm/Cruciamentum/Infernal Conjuration/Vimur, Dark Funeral/Incantation/Belphegor, Iron Maiden. Then there's a fest playing with Deceased, Demolition hammer, terrorizer, Sigh, Nunslaughter, Ecotovoid, and some other stuff in the fall. Going to feel like an idiot if I don't go, but it's also multiple days and expensive-ish and I don't have the stamina for lots of standing around drunk these days.

Your going to want to go see Demolition Hammer. They are fucking killer live.

Extremely watchable videos man. Sound isn’t too bad either. Fuck they’re good live.

I also agree that this thread needs more action. Are people really not going to any shows?

Thanks. My phone records the audio pretty well for a phone, and I think it is at least half the reason why you would watch a live clip. My brother asked me to take some video for him because he couldnt make it, which is why I recorded more than I normally would when going to shows. Wanted to mosh so bad for Voivod, so the lack of pit interest was disappointing (usually never a problem in Philly).

As for people not going to shows on here, I think that may be the case for a handful of guys. I know CIG mentioned that he doesnt really go to shows, which is surprising to me considering how invested in metal he is.

I got into the habit of just putting my highlights from the previous year into one post. Aside from local bands, so far in 2019 I've seen Earthless, Slayer/Anthrax, Judas Priest/Halestorm, and Aussie bands Holy Serpent (3x), Tyrannic and Lucifungus.

Coming up here this year... Cult Leader, Primitive Man, Bongzilla, Wo Fat, Metallica/Slipknot if I get a ticket, and I'm seeing Girlschool/Venom Inc/Raven in Melbourne.

Holy Serpent played in the street at a fest in Wellington, that was good:

Zse4a1k.jpg

Primitive Man is sick live, you should definitely enjoy them!

Even though I don't listen to them, I think Slipknot would probably put on a sick show. But they just lost the garbage can dude, so they are probably done.

As for people not going to shows on here, I think that may be the case for a handful of guys. I know CIG mentioned that he doesnt really go to shows, which is surprising to me considering how invested in metal he is.
I think living in Western Australia maybe has something to do with that as well, most international bands don’t go there because it’s too far. Not sure about the local scene though.

But yeah I don’t get not wanting to see bands live. Ever since I’ve been into music, if I get into a band I’ll go see them live if I can.

I got into the habit of just putting my highlights from the previous year into one post. Aside from local bands, so far in 2019 I've seen Earthless, Slayer/Anthrax, Judas Priest/Halestorm, and Aussie bands Holy Serpent (3x), Tyrannic and Lucifungus.

Coming up here this year... Cult Leader, Primitive Man, Bongzilla, Wo Fat, Metallica/Slipknot if I get a ticket, and I'm seeing Girlschool/Venom Inc/Raven in Melbourne.

Holy Serpent played in the street at a fest in Wellington, that was good:

Zse4a1k.jpg
I’ve seen Holy Serpent a bunch of times, good band. Also going to see Cult Leader this weekend.

But yeah I don’t get not wanting to see bands live. Ever since I’ve been into music, if I get into a band I’ll go see them live if I can.

As an introvert dealing with the crowd can really suck sometimes. But I mostly still go if I like a band.

Meh, im an introvert to the core and I love going to shows. Most people I meet up with probably think im a moron though cause I usually pregame the booze and smoke up with my concert-going friend on the way to the show. Once the music comes on though, anyone can fuck off, im there for the show, not to chat.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
Meh, im an introvert to the core and I love going to shows. Most people I meet up with probably think im a moron though cause I usually pregame the booze and smoke up with my concert-going friend on the way to the show. Once the music comes on though, anyone can fuck off, im there for the show, not to chat.

Haha I used to play in a band way back and so I know a lot of the faces I see and it absolutely throws my social anxiety through the roof. It doesn't stop me from going but it's goddamn stupid to have to put up with. Fortunately my wife likes metal so it helps to have someone to go with. She also drives so I can drink freely which helps.

Damn, that's too bad. I don't have social anxiety (I just like to be alone), so I can't relate, but maybe just wear a hat and chill by the bar? Id personally never let others get in the way of my enjoyment of some good metal. For example, friday night, mid-conversation Voivod started playing. My friend was drinking a beer, and his friend was in the middle of talking about something I couldn't give a fuck. I was like, 'see you on the floor', and left.

Nah it's cool. It's been that way since like 6th grade so I just deal with it and enjoy what I can. Was just thinking of reasons some might not like shows as much since it was brought up. The social aspect is the only real draw back for me. Other than that I can't imagine not wanting to go. It's like a whole other dimension to the experience of a band.

I can't really relate to social anxiety either. I started life out cripplingly shy and may be terrified on first attempt, but I get comfortable with things once I've done them a few times. It's almost a miracle that I managed to get hooked on such a social hobby. 15 years of going to live shows has slowly raised me from complete dweeb to relatively confident person. My most apparent introvert trait may be rarely initiating conversations with strangers, so I'm more comfortable seeing people and bands I know (applies to almost all shows I go to by this point).

Kung Fu Necktie on a Friday night? Im there! Slough Feg killed it the last time I saw them live, and now to see them at my favorite dive would be excellent.

Saw them last night and they were great. Hard-hitting and catchy, but more varied than most of the similar bands I've seen (figured they would be when I listened to their album yesterday).
I saw them on Saturday and was bored shitless by their set. Way too much ambient dirge for me. It didn’t help that the venue was ridiculously packed and I could barely see a thing. I hadn’t heard their latest album. I think my main problem is that I still want them to be Gaza and they just aren’t. I enjoyed all the supports though.