Live Videos Thread

Apologies if already posted, but this is a really good quality video of the Hellfest Show (the show HAS been posted, just this one is really good quality for a free live video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsQwiUKGkmg

PS: Also, I have apparently forgotten how to properly post a video, sorry for that.

What the heck is this, Henkka giving a speech in French? at around 40:00 or so. Anyone know what he's saying?

Great video, btw, and great sound.

Apologies if already posted, but this is a really good quality video of the Hellfest Show (the show HAS been posted, just this one is really good quality for a free live video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsQwiUKGkmg

PS: Also, I have apparently forgotten how to properly post a video, sorry for that.

Remove the s in http(s) and it will work.

Great video btw!

Edit: Just watched a few songs.... I'm very disappointed about Alexis guitar tone. Compared with his sloppiness and poor solo improvements, it doesn't make fun to watch any more songs of that festival.

What the heck is this, Henkka giving a speech in French? at around 40:00 or so. Anyone know what he's saying?

Great video, btw, and great sound.

He knows a couple other languages and always throws in a couple of words (I think spanish and italian too), it's just basic "how's everybody doing? I see people from X and Y" and so on.

Remove the s in http(s) and it will work.

Great video btw!

Edit: Just watched a few songs.... I'm very disappointed about Alexis guitar tone. Compared with his sloppiness and poor solo improvements, it doesn't make fun to watch any more songs of that festival.

Will try.

Tone wasn't great, true, but I feel his playing is coming around, at least compared to the BD times. I think by now expecting Tokyo Warhearts level is sadly unrealistic.

I think Alexi's downfall of playing started in 2010, especially that Bloodstock concert sounded very bad. But I have never seen him play so well like in 2009 North America tour. Just listen to this brilliant performance, just like in the early days. So not whole Blooddrunk era is bad, but yeah, around that time something happened and since then he is playing much worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all about motivation and inspiration. When you put a bad album out you'll not be as psyched as when you put out an album you're proud of.

I think Alexi's downfall of playing started in 2010, especially that Bloodstock concert sounded very bad. But I have never seen him play so well like in 2009 North America tour. Just listen to this brilliant performance, just like in the early days. So not whole Blooddrunk era is bad, but yeah, around that time something happened and since then he is playing much worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyT7nxIuysM

Laiho broke his shoulder in 2009 -> http://www.revolvermag.com/uncategorized/children-of-bodom-frontman-breaks-shoulder.html

I have said this before, but I bet that the numerous broken bones over the years have had a big effect on his playing.

I think his sloppy playing is more due to the fact that he knows he doesn't have to try and impress anyone anymore. Most of the mistakes he makes could easily be corrected if he warmed up more before each show. When he was younger it seemed to me like he was a lot harder on himself and didn't want to mess any riff or lick up but now he's got the "shit happens" attitude. However his playing has improved over the past year or so after he stopped drinking as much.

If I were to speculate on the reasons for the sloppiness I'd say it's a combination of:

- Age. As you get older you relax and set aside the drive to perfectionism
- Adrenaline. it doesn't help to do fine fingerwork
- Related to adrenaline, the drive to go crazy and put on a show, especially for Alexi who has this glam thing going on. You can see him struggle to regain composure after doing spins and throwing the guitar over his shoulder and doing kicks.
- Alexander was more of a leader to Alexi and he felt much more relaxed. Now it's like he feels the weight of the entire show is on his shoulders alone.
- Singing and trying to remember the lyrics seem to cause him additional stress.
- Those of you who own Alexi V guitars perhaps can comment on how comfortable that guitar is playing standing up and propping it up on your knee to do solos. It's probably not a light guitar and Alexi hasn't exactly buffed up over the years.
- Speed, often they play sets rather fast. Shovel Knockout is one song that sometimes they play insanely fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyT7nxIuysM
Yeah thats right. BD area was really bad. But if I remember right, he was really good around 2012/2013 when they included KTS in their setlist again.

That video was excellent! I do have a lot concerts from 2009 and they are indeed all brilliant. Graspop and Ruisrock are my favorites. And shit, is it really 6 years ago Alexi/ESP introduced the ESP blacky?!

I think his sloppy playing is more due to the fact that he knows he doesn't have to try and impress anyone anymore. Most of the mistakes he makes could easily be corrected if he warmed up more before each show. When he was younger it seemed to me like he was a lot harder on himself and didn't want to mess any riff or lick up but now he's got the "shit happens" attitude. However his playing has improved over the past year or so after he stopped drinking as much.

If I were to speculate on the reasons for the sloppiness I'd say it's a combination of:

- Age. As you get older you relax and set aside the drive to perfectionism
- Adrenaline. it doesn't help to do fine fingerwork
- Related to adrenaline, the drive to go crazy and put on a show, especially for Alexi who has this glam thing going on. You can see him struggle to regain composure after doing spins and throwing the guitar over his shoulder and doing kicks.
- Alexander was more of a leader to Alexi and he felt much more relaxed. Now it's like he feels the weight of the entire show is on his shoulders alone.
- Singing and trying to remember the lyrics seem to cause him additional stress.
- Those of you who own Alexi V guitars perhaps can comment on how comfortable that guitar is playing standing up and propping it up on your knee to do solos. It's probably not a light guitar and Alexi hasn't exactly buffed up over the years.
- Speed, often they play sets rather fast. Shovel Knockout is one song that sometimes they play insanely fast.

You've got a few good points. I have to disagree on a few things though...
The "I don't have to impress anyone anymore" thing. ... We're talking about Alexi Laiho and not Kirk Hammet. Alexi is still the same "I want solo battles 24/7" person he was 15 years ago.

The warm up thing is a good point (after 30 mins my playing is nearly double as clean as when I just started) but that's only an excuse for a few songs and not a whole show.

The age points... I thought the older you get, the better your playing will be. Nearly all of the great metal guitarists (Romeo, Loomis, Gilbert,...)are still as awesome guitarists as they were 20 years before.

The Alexi guitars are really light because of the wood and easy to play while staying (as long as you don't have those neck diving problems like the older LTD Alexis). Thats not a big problem.

The speed thing.... this is no excuse for me. All of the members are able to play their songs faster. I remember a time when they played BBT nearly 20-30% faster and it was no problem for all of the guys. SK is definitely easier to play faster.

A big problem is his guitar tone. Even if you play perfectly clean you will not sound as good as when you play with less distortion an highs.

Could be. Not saying I liked Alexander's style the best, but now the cameras are always on Alexi, like there's no other member in the band. I guess we should realize as Bodom fans that being metal is not about looks or cocky attitude.

He's actually playing pretty well here. At least the first solo in Hate Me went very well. His voice also sounds better than it has been in many other videos. Less forced.

Last edited by a moderator:
A stupid question: does anyone know why no one uses a spit guard when playing live? It'd eradicate all the pops when saying letters like p.

I really like that Moscow show video. It's has a couple of unusual things. Like someone seriously botching the start of Scream for Silence.

I really like that Moscow show video. It's has a couple of unusual things. Like someone seriously botching the start of Scream for Silence.

You mean Alexi's guitar wankery before the song starts? :D I guess someone did screw up. Seemed Alexi was ready to start way earlier.