Liverpool 2008

as regards to the capital of culture:
culture is relative to perception. whilst the powers that be deem culture to be building expensive fountains in the city centre and the creation of smart, trendy warehouse apartments and the extensive block paving to comfort the feet of toursists, they seem intent on destroying the places where REAL culture tends to thrive.re. quiggins,the irish centre and the picket.
call me a cynic but it all reeks of hypocrisy and bullshit how this council can apply for culture when it refuses to spend money on any area outside of the city centre.

the important thing to remember about culture is it equals cultural funding and any type of funding attracts politicos and professional funding parasites. These ensure that said funding gets diverted into their pockets via block paving, dispalys on cultural diversity blah blah, and the occasional patronising art project for the plebs so the culture vultures can pat each other on the back. This process is vital otherwise the funding could wind actually being used for something useful, which must be avoided at all costs. todays words were : enablement, concept facilitation, space, exploration of, diversity, challenge, bollox

spot on mate,
this council actually had about 5 million quid which it could spend on projects for improving housing in run down areas and such, they ummed and ahhed about it for so long that the government told them that they could lose it as sefton council had projects that needed funding and could use the money wisely, so the liverpool council got their finger out and decided to build a 2 million pound fountain in williamson square.

being european capital will generate an economic boost, but i agree cash should be well spent - vox populi doesnt ask for arty-farty, olive/champagne brahbrah
(i bet only the city center will be featured, plebs are outfunned)

Lord_Of_This_World said:
spot on mate,
this council actually had about 5 million quid which it could spend on projects for improving housing in run down areas and such, they ummed and ahhed about it for so long that the government told them that they could lose it as sefton council had projects that needed funding and could use the money wisely, so the liverpool council got their finger out and decided to build a 2 million pound fountain in williamson square.

Is THAT what all the fucking building work is for there..?!! It's like this Glitter bin campaign, which has children's drawing on the sides, (no not about Gary) and it's the Liverpool 'Goodbye to Litter' campaign. My mate lives on Princess drive, a massive stretch of road and not one, NOT ONE bin, so the place always looks a tip. It's in Liverpool but because it's not the city centre, so no good to tourists they can't be arsed.

LIverpool may smell a bit but if you want a really good rancid odour from your a shitty city take the ferry across to Dublin and inhale. Smells so bad they've given Cork the city of culture for 2005 and not Dublin.

speaking of which ehy are there no tour dates for Ireland yet- or has the smoking ban here made them think twice about coming :D :D

http://www.egosumpapa.8k.com music for the metally unstable :OMG:

Su Jacko said:
Is THAT what all the fucking building work is for there..?!! It's like this Glitter bin campaign, which has children's drawing on the sides, (no not about Gary) and it's the Liverpool 'Goodbye to Litter' campaign. My mate lives on Princess drive, a massive stretch of road and not one, NOT ONE bin, so the place always looks a tip. It's in Liverpool but because it's not the city centre, so no good to tourists they can't be arsed.

oh believe me toxteth gets money spent on it,we in the north end arent "multi-cultural" enough

I got lost in toxteth once. Got on the wrong bus to my ex boyfriends. Some old lady showed me how you get the bus to the right place.

lovely little old lady she was.

But I do see what you mean whats the point in a city of culture when not all of the city receives the same facilities and funding.

...and now this song is for Strangelight, and for all of those who like it (and happened to be born in Liverpudli) :wave:

I wish I was back in Liverpool, Liverpool town where I was born
Where there ain't no trees, no scent of grease, no fiel's of waving corn
But there's lots of girls with peroxide curls and the black and tan flows free
There's six in a bed by the old pier head and it's Liverpool town for me

'Tis seven long years since I wandered 'way to sail the wild world o'er
Me very first trip on an old steam ship that was bound for Baltimore
I was seven days sick and I just couldn't stick that bobbin' up and down
So I told them "Jack, you'd better turn back for dear old Liverpool town"

I wish I was back in Liverpool, Liverpool town where I was born
Where there ain't no trees, no scent of grease, no fiel's of waving corn
But there's lots of girls with peroxide curls and the black and tan flows free
There's six in a bed by the old pier head and it's Liverpool town for me