Lomdim ivrit

RashomoN said:
yes.....that is true....

especially for me......cause I have spanish roots.....
and I have some Israeli-Argentinian friends who help me......

besides......spanish is very popular language in Israel (maybe the most popular) cause a lot of people (including teenagers) are addicted to Argentinian soap Operas.....
other people making a long trips to South America and coming back with good memories, great pictures, and new language.....

:D
Oh, those sope operas, I can't see what people sees in them (I really don't like argentinian TV except for a couple of exceptions)

Well, if you need more help with the language you can ask me, I have no problem in helping

after i haven't leadned since 2 or 3 weeks, i looked insede my book again and i found difficulties by learning again. here they are:

i'm trying to learn the past form from the verb "be" and "have". For the first one:

1. i know that there is no form or use in present of "be" but there is a infinitive form of this verb. my question is - when should i use the infinitive form

להיות

2. i couldn't find the forms for all persons of the past form from "i/you... have" יש [font=&quot]לי / [font=&quot]לך[/font][/font]

3. how should i say "i've (tele)phoned with smb." ...i mean i fond

[font=&quot] for sure the active form - מטלפן[/font] / מטלפנת
and the infinitive form - לטלפן

but i found for the same these verbs as well:

[font=&quot]להתפשר
[/font]לצלצל

I can see that these are infinitives as well but I don't know when and which form should I use.

So it would be nice if somebody could help me with my questions :)

1. איפה הוא יכול להיות => Where can he be ?
2. You have to use be at at the past : haiah li היה לי
3. don't really know how the lehitalfen should be used in your example... I am not really at ease at the moment with the 7 forms...
letsaltel means "to ring" as far as I know...

as 1 and 2 go: what BC-A said :)
as for 3:
I don't see what is wron with לטלפן:
"טילפנתי ל...." (I phoned ....)
"צלצלתי ל...."(I rang...up)
לצלצל is to ring:
the bell rang הפעמון צלצל
he rang the bell הוא צלצל בפעמון
he rang me up (he phoned me) הוא צלצל אלי
להתקשר: to call-same meaning (the root here is for comunication)
i guess you meant להתקשר and not להתפשר since the later means to compromise .

There are only small nuances between the three, and in spoken language it depends on your prsonal style i guess(for example, i only use להתקשר ). Otherwise, the usage is the same as for the english equivalent.

I hope i was helpful .

thanks a lof to both of you BC-A and OZ_H :p

and here comes the next question. i've learned from my hear book from "Pimsleur" that "i don't understand" is :

ani lo mevin /a/

.... but i looked in another learnsoftware today from Easy Language - there was for "i don't understand" :

ei'nenu/i/ mevin/a/

But in my self-study book i've learned that ei'neni/ei'nenu/ei'nena.... means "not there" for persons....like in the sentence

"he is not there" - "hu einenu po"

however - it means i looked for the same in 3 different books and learning softwares and found 3 different answers o_O ???

ani tzriha esra shelahem bevakasha :erk:

thanx BC-A...

and here am i again with my annoying questions....:ill:

1. i still agonize myself with the past....and this time i have a problem not with the language itself but with the book - there are just some examples of the past form of "יש" (in the meaning of "have", for example i had a book = haya li sefer ) but there are not given the forms for all persons

... so i hope that there are enough nice helpers here who can write them down ;)

2. i found for some words different versions, so i don't know when should i use which word:

bathroom: hadar am'batya / hadar rachtsa....where is the difference :ill:

toilets
: sharotim (for sure the pl. form) but i founf as well sharotei gvarim / sharotei nashim (for mens and womens toilets)....but what is more to be used in a "normal life"

few / a little (for quantity)
: kzat / me'at --> where is the difference in the use? ....i mean for small it is clear = ktan/ktana....but here o_O

hadar ambatya = bath room
hadar rechatsa = bathing room (or washing room)

toilets = sherutim .....this is the most used word
you can also say "Beit Shimush".....but the translation is to much idiotic!!!!.....
damn.....I never thought about that, this way before......
(Use House????)

kzat/me'at - there's a small difference.....but you can use them both.....(both translated as "wenig" to german)

Geri said:
thanx BC-A...

and here am i again with my annoying questions....:ill:

1. i still agonize myself with the past....and this time i have a problem not with the language itself but with the book - there are just some examples of the past form of "יש" (in the meaning of "have", for example i had a book = haya li sefer ) but there are not given the forms for all persons
היה לי
היה לך
היה לו / לה
היה לנו
היה לכם / לכן
היה להם / להן

just as simple as יש !

For the verb "to be" Here is what I have
:
הייהתי (haiyati)
הייהת (hayita for male hayiat for female)
היה היתה ( haiha , haitah)
היינו (haiynou)
הייהתם הייהתן (hayitem / ten)
היו (hayou)

notes:
one yod only to third person of singular and plural
Third female person is in "tah" except of regular "hah" (but not sure about this)

Geri said:
thanks a lof to both of you BC-A and OZ_H :p

and here comes the next question. i've learned from my hear book from "Pimsleur" that "i don't understand" is :

ani lo mevin /a/

.... but i looked in another learnsoftware today from Easy Language - there was for "i don't understand" :

ei'nenu/i/ mevin/a/

But in my self-study book i've learned that ei'neni/ei'nenu/ei'nena.... means "not there" for persons....like in the sentence

"he is not there" - "hu einenu po"

however - it means i looked for the same in 3 different books and learning softwares and found 3 different answers o_O ???

ani tzriha esra shelahem bevakasha :erk:

first of all a few corrections
einenu is the plural form it means we don't and as to understand we say "einenu mevinim" or "anahnu lo mevinim"

second thing
genarally "eineni/einha/eineh/einenu/einhem/einhen/eunam/einan" means "I/you(male)/you(female)/we/you(male plural)/you(female plural)/they(male)/they(female) am/is/are not" where "be" is not considered a verb.

to help you understand "hu eineno po" means "he's not here"
here the meaning of the sentence is "he's not present here"
"hu eineno nimtsa po" the verb in this case is left out because the sentence is understandable from the context.

about the "eineni" i don't have translation
it is also a translation but it's a high aristocratic language and peolpe don't use it in everyday life. you might find it in some poetry books.

another translation to "eineni" is when it comes as a single word sentence.
it still means "i don't" and the implied meaning is "eineni Kayam" meaning
"I don't exist".

so generally "eineni" means "I don't" and when a there is no verb in the sentence you understand the meaning from the context of the sentence.

hope i've been helpful

BC-A said:
היה לי
היה לך
היה לו / לה
היה לנו
היה לכם / לכן
היה להם / להן

just as simple as יש !

For the verb "to be" Here is what I have
:
הייהתי (haiyati)
הייהת (hayita for male hayiat for female)
היה היתה ( haiha , haitah)
היינו (haiynou)
הייהתם הייהתן (hayitem / ten)
היו (hayou)

notes:
one yod only to third person of singular and plural
Third female person is in "tah" except of regular "hah" (but not sure about this)

הייתי (hayiti)
היית (hayita for male hayit for female)
היה היתה ( haiya , haitah)
היינו (haiynou)
הייתם הייתן (hayitem / ten)
היו (hayou)

this is the correct form
there's a "ה" as the last letter it is transformed into yod "י" hence the double yod in the root "ה.י.ה"

another example
the root "ק.נ.ה" mean to buy
אני קניתי(kaniti)
אתה קנית (kanita)
את קנית(kanit)
(kana)הוא קנה
היא קנתה(kanta)
(kaninu)אנחנו קנינו
אתם קניתם(kanitem)
(kanu)הם/הן קנו

ע.ש.ה
to make
עשיתי(ASITI)
עשית(ASIT/A)
(ASA)עשה
ASINUעשינו
ASITEMעשיתם
עשוASU

so you conjugate almost every root ending with "ה" in the past form like this.
to know the root you simply look at the third person male conjugation(he did).

thanks a lot all of you....atem heyitem esrah gdola bishvilli ;)

and as i see - i would have enough to learn the next days

:loco:

hey you there :loco:
here is my next question:

i try to make the concrete difference between verbs in "pa'al" and in "pi'el"
my assumption is that:

"pa'al" expresses soething what you do , not in the moment but in generall
and "pi'el" something what you're doing at the moment.

For instance:
"ani lomedet ivrit" - when i mean that i do that generally but
"ani melamedet ivrit" - when i mean that i do that right now

it's not explained in my book so i had to consider by myself what could be the difference but if you don't know something for sure, it's difficult to say :Smug:

Geri
that particular verb L.M.D
in pi'el means to teach
in pa'al means to learn/study

"ani melamedet ivrit" means i'm teaching hebrew

the general difference between piel and pa'al is
piel is a when you do something to someone else like teach or tell/give some one a haircut "SIPARTI" "mesaperet".
pa'al are thing you do for yourself "Safarti" "soferet" which means "counting"

hurrah!