Looking for a new amp, any advice?

madbutcher

May 23, 2005
St Louis
www.harkonin.com
I am currently looking to buy a new amp. I know everyone here is in love with the 5150. But I am going to this store in my area to try out some....

http://eddiesguitars.com/new_page_3.htm#sixtyfive

I for sure want to try out the Bogner Uberschall, VHT Pitbull, 5150III, and soldano slo.

Anyone see others I should try out? There are a lot there I have never heard of..... and the Krank that they have isn't the ones I see everyone here talking about.

Basically want something for standard tuned black/thrash metal, capable of good clean sounds. Used for live and recording purposes.

The Krank Chadwick isn't much of a metal amp, as far as I knew... definitely give the Diezels a try, tho. I have heard great things about the VHT Deliverance too. Orange Rockerverb too!

The VHT Deliverance 120 is a beast! Such a brutal low end, but so clear - even when the gain is pushed hard. Downside is it's 1-channel and no FX loop. We got this paired with a 6505+ in my band and the combination is pretty killer.

I'd highly recommend looking at the VHT SigX. This has some amazing clean tones, and still has the super higain. 3 channels - lots of options with tone selectors, boosts and wattage.

Honestly, despite all these high priced boutique amps, you really can't beat a 2-channel Dual Rectifier - it's got a great clean, it lets you select whether you want the loop to only be active on one channel or the other (or lets you toggle it on and off via a footswitch, the best option!), and along with the 5150 is pretty much the most legendary tone out there! I just won an auction for one on ebay for $1100 shipped, can't wait until it gets here!!!

Or if you want to buy new/want more versatility, the Dual Recto Roadster is the absolute KING - just stay away from the current 3-channel Dual Rectifiers, they're harsher than the 2-channels or the Roadster (this is from speaking to a guy who has owned 2-channels, 3-channels, and now a Roadster, as well as tons of other sources)

Hey Marcus,

I'm curious if the new Roadster's sound similar to the old 2 channel Dual Rectos. I heard a similar claim from someone on another message board. Any comments regarding this?

I'm really, really interested in a Recto for the future. I really should own one, but never have for some reason. I would prefer the older sound thought. A Racktifier would be king!

-Joe

The Roadster is a great amp. The clean is much more in line with the Road Kings (bit more boutique sounding than the standard Dual Rec clean), and it's got a tone of wattage options and reverb built in.

Any of the rectifiers will give you a bit of fizz in the high, and mush in the low - but a good retube kit and you can really tighten it up a whole bunch. Some JJ 6L6GCs in the power section and preamp tubes to taste (I still use JJs, although a bunch of different types).

Hey Joe - the dude I mentioned who has owned all variants and is a Mesa nut is around my age and works at my local guitar store. He's a fucking awesome guy and really knows his shit when it comes to dialing in amps, and I just saw his band play this past weekend where he was using his Roadster through an OS cab, and JESUS H CHRIST did it sound incredible. He says the Roadsters can do the sounds of the 2- or the 3-channels, and that it's his favorite amp he's ever owned (and along with 2- and 3-channel Rectos, in the past he's had a Mark IV, a DC10, an Engl Savage 120, and a Framus Cobra that he sold after like 3 weeks cuz that amp blows! :heh: )

Thanks for the reply dude, I needed that reassurance. I guess one thing that has turned me off from Rectos, is the majority of bands I've seen use them probably have no idea how to tweak an amp. They tweak with their eyes most likely.

I'm sure dialed in (with a boost) I'd love it for metal. Was this guy using a boost at that show?

thanks man

-Joe

Also I wouldn't know where to begin when tweaking that amp. The simple 5150 makes me obsess for days on tweaking every little bit!

-Joe

You know, the IME the Recto really isn't hard to dial in - I think their reputation for shitty tone comes from a) the red channel on the 3-channels (the orange is apparently a LOT closer to the red on a 2-channel) and b) people as a whole just being stupid :lol: Plus, the manual is probably one of the best I've ever read; it gives great insight into the workings of the amp and how to tweak it, and is excellently written; worth downloading the PDF from the Mesa site just to read for pleasure! And yeah, he was using a Maxon OD808.

Should have put I need to stay under 3000 US. I thought Diezels were usually higher than that. I have played the einstien once. It was OK but I wasn't blown away really.

Used VH4's and Herbies go for $3200 all the time... Just have to keep on eye out.

Thanks Marcus. Yeah, I guess many people, including myself lol, don't always read manuals.

I might have to check out a Roadster.

Nice cleans, eh?

-Joe

Oh yeah dude, especially the new ones - apparently the Mesa Lone Star has the greatest clean tone the company has ever produced, and they stuck it in the V2 Roadsters :) AND, it has built in 'verb that you can set to automatically be on or off for each individual channel!

Oh yeah dude, especially the new ones - apparently the Mesa Lone Star has the greatest clean tone the company has ever produced, and they stuck it in the V2 Roadsters :) AND, it has built in 'verb that you can set to automatically be on or off for each individual channel!

Niceeeee.

This amp is definitely a semi-long term goal for me.

-Joe

What is the difference between a dual rec and a roadster? I know a dual rec tone very well and was told that if I like that I will love the Bogner Uberschall.

The only spot I can try out Mesa stuff where I am is a guitar center. I really hate guitar center. They didn't have a Roadster or a Stilleto that I have been told to try out. I tried out a 3 channel dual rec and did not like it at the time, I thought I was just not dialing in right, but if you say the 3 channels suck I will make sure to re-visit a 2 channel while on my amp search.

thanks for everyones input.

I love the sound of Orange amps. But as far as I know, they only have that one "Orange" sounding gain. If I was going for a rock/punk sound, that is the only amp I would use.....but I don't see it working for thrash/black stuff.

...I probably will test one out and see just for kicks though.:)