looking for extremely sad songs

I couldn't disagree more. Devastatingly sad music is the most extreme music in my opinion. I think slam / brutal death metal is the only thing that rivals it in terms of extremity. The depressive / suicidal black metal sub-genre is a testament to this. Bands like Abyssic Hate, Forgotten Tomb, and Xasthur. Funeral doom also has more than its fair share of despondent bands, like Nortt, Funeral, and Abyssmal Sorrow. If you don't think DSBM and funeral doom are extreme forms of music then I don't know what to tell you.

I think that any doom metal can't be described by the word 'extreme'. To me, at least, extreme is usually incredibly technical, incredibly fast, and incredibly heavy. Sad, depressive music doesn't usually lend itself to speed and heaviness. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sad stuff as much as I do the brutal stuff, and the black metal genre is definitely full of it, but the most emotionally-stirring sad music is going to be slow and melodic, and not 'extreme'.

I'm not trying to shit on anyone's tastes here, but you can give me a black metal song and then show me a song like "Limbs" by Agalloch or At the Gates of Sleep by Insomnium and I think it'd be hard to beat songs like that in terms of being full of emotions such as sorrow and anguish and all that good stuff.

If you want really really sad, try Funeral's "from these wounds" album.
Quality, slow paced mournful dooooom.

Forget the doomy painful to listen to drama stuff.

Music that is real, epic, heavy, enjoyable and sad...AMON AMARTH's - Runes To My Memory...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRPOIztq2Gw&feature=related[/ame]
and TYR's - The Edge...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised ColdWorld hasn't been posted yet. The album Melancholie(squared) is depressing as hell, my go-to for sad moods.

ColdWorld - Hymn to Eternal Frost

More on the pretty melancholy side, but very sad

ColdWorld - Red Snow

More on the straight up tormented miserable side

And as Uaral has already been posted I'll just throw one more in

Uaral - Lamentos

Last edited by a moderator: