Looking for the best 5150 sim in 2016

Mar 1, 2009
France
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

long time I havent posted here, working on other music stuff etc.
Want to make some metal again but don't want to rebuy a Kemper (I had to sell it to buy some mastering gear), And I would mostly need the best 5150 amp sim available in 2016.

As I haven't followed the evolution of amp sim, I though some of you guys could help me sorting this out?

By the way, I still have the Torpedo Wall of sound 3 that I bought some times ago, is it still relevant in 2016 or are there any better cab sim out?

Thanks guys!

I use TSE X50 v2 and like it a lot. The built-in impulse loader is very good and can be used for loading 3rd party impulses.

I'm loving Thermionic 5 Psycho (a, b ,c), those give amazing 5150 feel. Thermionic IMO nailed amp sims, first time ever Marshall sim sounded like Marshall.
TSE 50v.2 is 6105 but still grate.

Just listening to the demo and it seems awesome!
+ its AAX which is great for me on pt12.

What are the best IR nowadays guys? Does the ones inside are great?

BTW, there's a lot of talk about Bias amp, maybe getting the pro version... How does their 5051 compares to the TSE X50 V2?

Thanks again for your help for getting me back on tracks! ;-)

My humble suggestion: Get Kazrog's Thermionik Psycho B (5150 II emulation), the freeware impulse loader Ignite NadIR and one (or some...) of 3 Sigma Audio's cabinet impulses. Great, mix-ready OOTB sound for only 20 bucks!

I tried them all... Bias, Guitar Rig, Amplitube, Peavey ReValver, TSE X50, the Line 6 stuff (still somehow like their POD 2.0's Soldano...)... and found Thermionik to be superior to all of them - with X50 on a honourable second place.

Last edited:
My humble suggestion: Get Kazrog's Thermionik Psycho B (5150 II emulation), the freeware impulse loader Ignite NadIR and one (or some...) of 3 Sigma Audio's cabinet impulses. Great, mix-ready OOTB sound for only 20 bucks!

I tried them all... Bias, Guitar Rig, Amplitube, Peavey ReValver, TSE X50, the Line 6 stuff (still somehow like their POD 2.0's Soldano...)... and found Thermionik to be superior to all of them - with X50 on a honourable second place.

It sounds really good in this clip.

Love the Uberschall sim too.

Thanks a lot guys!!
I feel like the TSE X50 will do it for me: all in one package, the texture perfectly suited to my taste, great sens of realness and some great IR already in... what else to ask? and it seems there will be some update soon.

Particularly loved this vid:

Thermionik 5 seems cool, I'll may add some amps if needed later. Didn't see it's possible to buy amps one by one, was a bit discourage by the price of the whole package... That's a great idea.
I don't know why but there's something less smooth in the texture; but that's a taste thing I think.

I'm really intrigued by the 3 Sigma Audio's cabinet impulses; they cost a lot, not sure what they would bring to the table compared to other great IR already included in the X50. And ssl preamp are not selling points to me, prefer chandler or neve or api as preamp for gtrs...ssl as eq sure, not the new pres...
But it's the guy not the tool, so...

anyways thanks for your help guys! Very interesting inputs!

Hey Kazrog! Love your clipper too btw! use it on lots of stuff even if I have a Lyra 1 for clipping my master! Can't wait for the Kclip update! ;-)

Will you do a Diezel sim? I loved my Diezel Einstein (that I had to sold) and always dreamed of the Herbert.
The Diezel Herbet + Peavey 5150 II is my all times favorites amps combo in fact.

And thanks for the coupon!

By the way Kazrog, any exemple of th AC30 and AC30 Top boost? And what would be the best IR for them?

I think I will buy the Psycho C, Serpent, and Vocal 30, plus the 3 Sigma impulses Mesa Oversize, Zilla Fatboy, Us Custom, Orange 212 and Vox AC30...On top of the TSE X50.

Now that's a setup!

Took time listening to the 3 sigma impulses and really really like them; thanks for the info on those GrabtharsHammer77!

Hey Kazrog! Love your clipper too btw! use it on lots of stuff even if I have a Lyra 1 for clipping my master! Can't wait for the Kclip update! ;-)

Thanks!

Will you do a Diezel sim? I loved my Diezel Einstein (that I had to sold) and always dreamed of the Herbert.
The Diezel Herbet + Peavey 5150 II is my all times favorites amps combo in fact.

Yes, I have a couple in the works...

And thanks for the coupon!

No problem! Always happy to share deals with Sneapsters early.

By the way Kazrog, any exemple of th AC30 and AC30 Top boost? And what would be the best IR for them?

The clean tone in this video is the Vocal30 model in Thermionik 5 - actually running with no cabinet at all - for ultra glassy cleans:

This quick clip is the Vocal30 model running into the Top Boost cabinet IRs in the Recabinet 3+4 library:

As for what I recommend, it really depends on the tone and what your goals are. For authentic combo tone, obviously the IRs from the amp itself are the way to go. However, I've found that it also sounds great through a wide variety of other IRs (or no IR at all, like you hear in the clean example.)

Ok so I'm done with amp sim & IR purchases!

Kazrog, you'll be happ to see that I've just bought this from your website ;-) :
KClip 2 Pro: Pre-Order (Upgrade)
Thermionik - FB100
Thermionik - Psycho B
Thermionik - Psycho C
Thermionik - Serpent
Thermionik - Vocal30
Thermionik - Marshland 800
Recabinet 5

And as far as IR, I took those from 3 Sigma Audio:
Mesa Oversized
Zilla Fatboy
Vox AC 30
Orange 212
Orange 810
Ampeg SVT 810
GK Neo 810

And now I'm set!!!!!! Very happy! Thanks guys!!

... Waiting for your next release of DIezel Kazrog! ;-)