Looking into black metal...

I'd say that Gontyna Kry - Welowie is an easy album to get into...especially if you're coming from a melodic death background.

Profanum - Musaeum Esotericum
Thee Maldoror Kollective - A Clockwork Highway
Thee Maldoror Kollective - New Era Viral Order
Bethlehem - Schatten aus der Alexander Welt
Vinterriket - Finsternis
Mystic Forest - Green Hell
Shining - III
Empaligon - Black Dominated Annihilation
Drudkh - The Swan Road

Some favourites from my collection

Dissection - Storm of the light's bane & The Somberlain (Both mandatory)
Dawn - Slaughtersun (Crown of the triarchy)
Naglfar - Vittra
Sacramentum - Far away from the sun
Immortal - At the heart of winter
In the woods... - Heart of the ages & Omnio
Taake - Everything
Drudkh - Everything
Shining - Everything
Weakling - Dead as dreams
Silencer - Death pierce me
Enslaved - Everything
I could go on but that's a good start

Snowblind said:
Hmmm...that Wolfnacht track was surprisingly good. I could have sworn remembering Wolfnacht to sound like a shitty Absurd ripoff. This comes across as a cross between Thousand Swords and United Aryan Evil. I'll definitely have to look into picking up this album.

This is the only good Wolfnacht album (from what I hear), and indeed it's far from being an Absurd-rehash. The respective spirits of TS and UAE are present on it at times, I'd somewhat agree with that.

It'd be nice to see more people getting into it actually, I've been singing its praises mostly single-handedly for a good while now. Tracks four and six are the really great tracks, if you like this one I imagine you'll love those.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=22874

Snowblind said:
I'd say that Gontyna Kry - Welowie is an easy album to get into...especially if you're coming from a melodic death background.

This one gets the GoD seal of approval.

I listened to the Wolfnacht track. I liked the beginning of it, but I got lost with the heavy section. It definitely reminded me of the Fullmoon album...another one I just don't see the value of.

The Sort Vokter was great, though. Minimalist fuzz, just the way I like it.

Bahaha.

Beherit - The Oath of Black Blood & Drawing Down the Moon
Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger and A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Don Sathanas
Nokturnal Mortum - NeChrist, Goat Horns, Lunar Poetry
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God, Ultima Thulee
Negura Bunget - 'n Crugu Brudului
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Enslaved - Eld
Deathspell Omega - Inquisitors of Satan, Infernal Battles, Si Monvmentvm Reqvires Circvmspice, Kenose.
Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Don Sathanas
Catamenia - Chaos Born & Eskhata
Naglfar - Sheol & Diabolical
Ulver - Bergtatt & The Madrigal of the Night: Eight Hymns to the Wolf in Man (actually it's called Nattens Madrigal, but I like this name better)

Tranquillian said:
Some favourites from my collection

Dissection - Storm of the light's bane & The Somberlain (Both mandatory)
Dawn - Slaughtersun (Crown of the triarchy)
Naglfar - Vittra
Sacramentum - Far away from the sun
Immortal - At the heart of winter
In the woods... - Heart of the ages & Omnio
Taake - Everything
Drudkh - Everything

Shining - Everything
Weakling - Dead as dreams
Silencer - Death pierce me
Enslaved - Everything

I could go on but that's a good start
Ye heard the man.

my personal all time top 15:

1. Burzum- Hvis Lyset Tar Oss -------------------------------------------------- Norway
2. Emperor- In the Nightside Eclipse ------------------------------------------- Norway
3. Darkthrone- Transilvanian Hunger -------------------------------------------- Norway
4. Immortal- Pure Holocaust ---------------------------------------------------- Norway
5. Enslaved- Vikingligr Veldi -------------------------------------------------- Norway
6. Graveland- The Celtic Winter ------------------------------------------------ Poland
7. Averse Sefira- Battle's Clarion --------------------------------------------- U.S.
8. Sacramentum- Far Away From the Sun ------------------------------------------ Sweden
9. Beherit- Drawing Down the Moon --------------------------------------------- Finland
10. Demoncy- Joined in Darkness------------------------------------------------U.S.
11. Ildjarn- Det Frysende Nordariket -------------------------------------------- Norway
12. Sort Vokter- Folkloric Necro Metal ----------------------------------------- Norway
13. Havohej- Dethrone the Son of God--------------------------------------------U.S.
14. Varathron- His Majesty at the Swamp ---------------------------------------- Greece
15. Gorgoroth- Antichrist ---------------------------------------------------------- Norway

Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon
Absu - Tara (black/thrash)
...and Oceans - The Dynamic Gallery of Thoughts
...and Oceans - The Symmetry of I - The Circle of O(not as good as the debut)
Anorexia Nervosa - Redemption Process
Antestor - The Forsaken
Bathory - Blood, Fire, Death
Belenos - Spicilege
Blinded by Faith - Under an Occult Sun
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Children of Maani - Veil of Osiris
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
Dawn - Naer Solen Gr Niper For Evoghe
Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice
Diabolical Masquerade - Nightwork
Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Emperor - In the Nightshade Eclipse
Enslaved - (all there releases)
In Memorium - Form Misery comes Darkness
Lensgel - Solace
Nokturnal Mortum - NeChrist
Nokturnal Mortum - Twilight Fall
Ophthalamia - Via Dolorosa
Rotting Christ - Sanctus Diavolos
Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun
Summoning - Dol Guldur
The Axis of Perdition - The Icheumon Method
The Axis of Perdition - Deleted Scenes from the Transition Hospital
Veneficum - Engima Prognosis
Windir - 1184
Windir - Arntor
Windir - Likferd
Windir - Soknardalr

Cynical said:
my personal all time top 15:

1. Burzum- Hvis Lyset Tar Oss -------------------------------------------------- Norway
2. Emperor- In the Nightside Eclipse ------------------------------------------- Norway
3. Darkthrone- Transilvanian Hunger -------------------------------------------- Norway
4. Immortal- Pure Holocaust ---------------------------------------------------- Norway
5. Enslaved- Vikingligr Veldi -------------------------------------------------- Norway
6. Graveland- The Celtic Winter ------------------------------------------------ Poland
7. Averse Sefira- Battle's Clarion --------------------------------------------- U.S.
8. Sacramentum- Far Away From the Sun ------------------------------------------ Sweden
9. Beherit- Drawing Down the Moon --------------------------------------------- Finland
10. Demoncy- Joined in Darkness------------------------------------------------U.S.
11. Ildjarn- Det Frysende Nordariket -------------------------------------------- Norway
12. Sort Vokter- Folkloric Necro Metal ----------------------------------------- Norway
13. Havohej- Dethrone the Son of God--------------------------------------------U.S.
14. Varathron- His Majesty at the Swamp ---------------------------------------- Greece
15. Gorgoroth- Antichrist ---------------------------------------------------------- Norway
Had the pleasure of seeing Demoncy with Fog (now Typhus?) a couple of years ago they are a fine USBM band!

I don't think I've seen nagelfar recommended...I like this band a lot so you can give it a try..not to be confused with naglfar who pretty much suck IMO.