Looks like time is running out for Mike to work with

BenMech

student of the d'eh
Camel's Andy Latimer, who was recently diagnosed with Myelofibrosis.

Here's Camel's most recent news update:

The Nature of the eBeast
May 2007

Dear Camel Fans,

At long last, our return to England is complete. As with most things, it has taken far longer than we had anticipated, but most things do it seems. It was more than worth the effort. We are both so happy to be back home.

This eBeast is more of a personal message. We would like to share some personal news with you:

Back in 1992, when Camel had well and truly returned to the forefront of their musical niche, Andrew began to display some unusual physical symptoms that necessitated a visit to the doctor. After some tests, he was diagnosed with a little-known blood disorder called Polycythaemia Vera (PV). It's rather like an upside-down leukaemia where there are too many red blood cells as opposed to too many white blood cells. For most, fortunately, PV is a slow-moving disorder and it hasn't had a tremendous impact on our daily lives. In fact, it has been quite cooperative. However, it is a progressive disorder, and has a very specific course that it runs if the patient responds well to treatment. Andrew has responded very well to all the treatments, at each stage, and seems to have been on a very 'normal' course. As time has passed, his health has gradually become less robust as it once was. Many of you know that he lost his voice on the past two tours, and a couple of shows had to be cancelled due to illness (Camel's only performance in Ireland). His immune system has to work harder than normal, and being exposed to such a demanding tour schedule with so many different environments, it has been taxed considerably. He has had to deal with more than his fair share of colds, chest and/or throat infections. Nothing terribly serious, but it's not conducive to intensive touring. Ultimately, we were forced to announce the Farewell Tour, though Andrew was already thinking about the 'Retirement Sucks' tour.

We have now come to the latter stage of PV, and a condition known as Myelofibrosis (MF) is taking its place. Once again, this isn't necessarily a fast-moving disorder. It can be for some, but Andrew is a strong-willed person and has virtually followed the medical text-book to date. I feel he will continue on this positive route. His physical symptoms have changed thought, and they're having a more direct effect on our lives than the PV symptoms. Fatigue is the most common symptom, and with the recent move, we have both been considerably more tired than usual, so it's not surprising. Andrew would be the first to tell you that he isn't exactly speedy when it comes to writing music that satisfies his heart. MF is having a direct effect on this, so he's slower than he has been in the past. But he's still thinking/writing/playing. The spirit is willing, the flesh is a little under the weather at times.

There are a couple of reasons we have elected to tell you about this. The first is, of course, that he hasn't been in the limelight of musical output of late. Rather than continue the roaring sound of silence, we wanted to let you all know why. The other reason is a bit more down to earth. You have all been much like an extended family to us, and we feel you should know. Your support, both emotional and financial, has accorded us a life of musical freedom, and we have said many times in the past that we are eternally grateful. We say it again.

That, in a nutshell, is how things are with us. We have thought that some of you may want to write to Andrew. Since he needs to conserve his energy to focus on musical pursuits and his general health, he won't be able to receive nor reply to emails. Instead, we have set up a special Guest Book where you can post words of encouragement. That way, Andrew can easily read them when he has the opportunity, and take strength from your words. Remember, just because there has been a medical diagnosis, life is not therefore cast in stone. The power of our determination is the only thing that can impress a stone.

We see this glass as more than half full, and not empty in any way. Presently, we are looking for a home to buy, where we can build a new studio and get on with the business we both love. It's easy to look at the darker side of life, but I was certainly never one to take the easy path. There are so many blessings in our lives that deserve far more acknowledgement, from the simple song of the blackbird, to the strong relationship we have shared for nearly 30 years now. One of the beautiful things about this stage of life is gaining the understanding that it's really all about the little details, things that happen in the unexpected swiftness of a breeze. They are moments that make up the true quality of our lives. Everything in life is only as significant as we make it. That is the wonder of choice, where we think we have none.

forget to mention progress.

Andy had bone marrow surgery

ANDREW'S HEALTH DAY 15 POST TRANSPLANT...

Thank you for your light. The candles so many of you lit for Andrew on the day of his bone marrow transplant were truly felt. There was a special feeling in his room when the nurses brought in the transplant, and that feeling remained for several hours. Thank you all so much.

We've had many emails asking about Andrew's progress so I thought I would give you a condensed description of the process. The bone marrow is actually stem cells, harvested from a donor. The donor is given medication to stimulate these stem cells, and then they are taken simply through blood donation, much like giving a pint of blood. The stem cells are removed from the blood, and then transfused to the patient, that being Andrew. It is a strangely simple conclusion to a hugely complex process. In the end, a little bag holds Andrew's future, suspended above his bed connected to his intravenous line. It took about 2 hours for the stem cells to be fully transfused. And now, we wait.

It will be many weeks before we know if it is 100% successful. The donor's stem cells must replace Andrew's immune system, and this takes time. He is sure to have some difficult days, and the inevitable effects of chemotherapy will soon begin to show. During the next 6-12 weeks, he will be in isolation, to protect him from infection and monitor his progress. So, as you can see, it is now a waiting game.

His doctors are very pleased with his progress to date, and he has done well with the drug therapy. But we do take it one day at a time. Yesterday was a good day; we'll wait to see what today brings. One day at a time.

Some very dear friends of ours got together and bought a lovely new guitar for him, just before he went into hospital. He has that guitar with him, so he's keeping his fingers nimble and writing a bit of music. He is strong in spirit and determined to get well. I know this strength and determination is accentuated by the support he is given, by all of us, and all of you. Please keep those candles burning.

With thanks from the depth of my heart,
Susan Hoover

Absolutely fucking grim news. Poor man.. All i can say is i hope he gets better, or has as painless a death as possible.

He's definitely left his imprint on this world, it's safe to say that without him.. Opeth wouldn't exist in the same sense.

i love camel, and andy is top 5 guitarists for me. hopefully he gets better VERY soon.