Lord of the fucking rings

Originally posted by Mr. Black
not really...few a bits of correct pronuncation and including the fact the balrog has a flaming whip when you all have to do is read the book up unto the point where the balrog is (with his flaming whip) doesn't make you an expert...i would had hope who ever made the film would had included it, as all you need to do is read the <1/4 of effing book once, if they left it out it would had been inexcusable...puting it in means nothing, compared to all the things they did leave out...e.g. Glorfindal, one of two ppl in the books ever to have killed a balrog, flaming whip and all...

You have to keep in mind that the movie would have been about 5 hours had they stuck exactly to the book, and 5 hour movies don't go over well with crowds. While we, the LotR fans would like a 5 hour Fellowship of the Ring, 3 hours is a good compromise. It is a very good result considering the fact that it is meant to be mainstream.

I didn't realize the whips were described in LotR. I am reading the Silmarillion and one of the Books of Lost Tales, and balrogs were discussed a bit further there.

All in all, though, I think you are being a little on the elitist side. There has to be some leeway in a movie that is based on a book. Fight Club is a good example: they changed alot of things that were present in the book, yet the movie is still amazing.