loyalty

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
so suppose a guy had been unemployed for a couple of years and had no real previous work experience to speak of -- he was pretty "down in the dumps" (you do say that in america don't you i sure hope i'm doing this "colloquialism" thing right) and one day, just for laughs, this guy applies for a job he has no actual qualifications for at a smallish company with only three or four other employees -- against all odds he bullshits his way through the interview process ("yes sir i am looking for lasting work -- why yes sir commitment is my middle name") and actually gets selected over fuck knows how many other applicants and so guy has a full-time job.

even though he gets paid fuck-all, it's still more than welfare and enough to pay the rent and some beer, the boss and his co-workers are decent people and he gets along with them well enough for the most part, even though the idea of a boss watching him and telling him what to do is hardish to swallow. the job is mostly stupid and pointless and a complete fucking dead-end in terms of "advancement" and other things like that, but this guy doesn't really believe in "careers" and irrelevant bollocks like that so who the hell cares honestly.

NOW as it happens, within a smallish time interval, something like 4 or 5 months, this guy has already become pretty much instrumental for the company to function right. leaving now would put the boss (who, i reiterate, is a good guy) in a pile of deep shit without a shovel.

and let's cut the crap -- the point is i really want to do something else already, and i have a great opportunity at the moment to start up a pretty exciting business with one or two of my buddies. i have a real hard time accepting menial 9-5 work and getting home every fucking weekday with no energy left to do anything at all, but that's beside the point and i don't want an argument about that.

the question here is the moral conundrum posed by the above situation: are you an asshole if you just suddenly announce "welp, i'm gonna leave, i know the company is going to fall apart for a while until you find a replacement but that shit just ain't my bitch" to a guy who gave you a job when you could get no other job, despite the fact that it pays very little, and despite the fact that you dislike your job and find it hard to get up in the morning, and despite the fact that there is now an opening to throw caution to the fucking wind & raise a giant middle finger in the face of "YOU CAN'T EXPECT TO MAKE MONEY OFF YOUR OWN BUSINESS ESPECIALLY NOT NOW WITH THE ~GLOBAL ECONOMY CRISIS~ JUST SHUT UP AND WORK AND WATCH THE SIMPSONS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE" mentality

i need to do shit with my time that doesn't make me want to kill myself. if now is not the time, i have a feeling there won't be another time that is right either. i don't like being an asshole to people who have been nothing but nice to me either though...

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/helloween/keeperofthesevenkeyspartii.html#9

man its so true... they just don't... understand :headbang: fuck society :headbang:

you need to find someone to fill your position, that way your boss will not piss his pants once you decide to tell him you're leaving. (if you do)

i also do not believe in "careers", and the point of your life is to do what makes you happy.

I don't see a problem with leaving if you're moving on to bigger and better things. Your boss would probably understand.

How long would it take to find a replacement for you?

it would take circa 0 seconds to find 100 000 applicants with the job market being as it is at the moment, and i'm sure there would be someone who could do the job as well as or better than me amongst them, but it would take a couple of months to train them. it would not make mr boss guy happy, i know that much for a fact.

then again, if i am leaving anyway sooner or later (which i SURE AS EVER LIVING FUCK am,) better to do it now than postpone the inevitable until i make myself even more invaluable, right?

also, it's worth noting that this job is technically/legally an "apprenticeship" although i am mostly past the stage of training and am now working independently and doing as much for the company as anyone else -- what this means is if i wanted to i could technically walk tomorrow without giving as much as a single day of notice. i like to think i'm not that inconsiderate though.

i would say leave if you are not happy ... but give them them a couple of weeks notice and offer to help in the transition of your replacement.
this is the right thing to do if you want to help your boss out.

Imo - if you already know that you don't feel like working there - you sure still can force yourself to, but I don't think it will last for too long, you'll have to leave sooner or later. And yep, you have to care for yourself.
But if you also care about your boss - tell him that you're going to leave in advance, so he has time to find a replacement for you, or find a replacement yourself (there are probably many people searching for a job now). Cuz if you'll leave kust suddenly it will be a fuck-up for the company, fa sho.

-------------------------------------------------------

Ha, this sounds like heaven to me.
I remember working in the office 9.30-18.30 (officially), but in reality you're leaving at like 19.30-22.00
And sometimes when your boss is out and you're leaving at 19.10 he calls you and asks if you're still there, and when you say "no" you here "what? why?!" lol

i would say leave if you are not happy ... but give them them a couple of weeks notice and offer to help in the transition of your replacement.

this is what seems like the decent thing to do to me also. i'm just a little bit scared of his reaction and i know in advance how fucking awkward those last weeks will be in a company with like 4 people who all know that when applying, i said "i'm probably gonna be working here for a long time!" and other stupid shit like that

if we always worry about what other people think we would not get anywhere. circumstances change in everyone's life. do what's best for you.

i mean ... all you have to look at is the current massive global layoffs that are happening ... does it seem that companies give two shits about letting go of people?
its what's good for their bottom line is what they are worried about.

...and on the other hand, that makes me feel stupid for voluntarily quitting when i know plenty of others would walk over corpses just to get a job, any job

it's not that i am going to quit working though, it's just that i think it's a great idea to start a business with no previous experience of running one, right in the middle of a huge recession

then again i've rarely made claims of making sense

it's not that i am going to quit working though, it's just that i think it's a great idea to start a business with no previous experience of running one, right in the middle of a huge recession

:lol: ... my suggestion on that matter (since I run my own business as well) is to have at a bare minimum money to survive for the first 6-12 months put aside as the business grows/adjusts.

and actually starting a business in bad economic times is not as bad as you think. its sometimes the best time to do it ... supplies are plentiful and negotiable and the competition is sometimes tapped out.

I agree with everyone else - you're not a dick if you give your boss a head start of a month or so. That's by far enough time to find someone else and teach that person the basics provided it's not a dumbfuck. I was gonna ask if you don't have any uppsägningstid like regular people but the apprenticeship makes it not so I guess. Just one question: if you had a decent salary, would you stay? Chances are your boss will offer you just that, you know.

I've been working a ass-end job for years now, and believe me, you don't want to end up like this. Do yourself a favour, and think about yourself first. It's not like it will be the end of the world for your colleagues.

Erik, try to remember this: You have to be your first priority. Sure, your boss is a good guy, but employees come and go, and its part of his responsibility to find a replacement as you should be free to leave at your discretion.

Another thing I'd recommend is to follow your instincts, they should serve you well. I believe you know what you want to do already.

Putting other pursuits on the back burner in favor of the 9-5 grind will simply leave you a bitter employee down the road. Come up with a 4 week exit strategy and leave on favorable terms. Best of luck with the biz.