LTE Reunite

As long as you aren't denying it. From this post on, I'm just going to let you get away with badmouthing me left and right. It's only going to make you look like a bigger asshole. Cheers.

I didn't bad mouth anyone. Anyway, the "art" thing was your conviction, if you feel what I stated was "badmouthing", you're ultra sensitive. I really don't look like an asshole at all. I've never had anyone here besides you refer to me in that way...but with you, on the other hand, I've seen it quite a bit. Sláinte.

Bottom line is, Mike cares about his fans. If you were an amazing musician, I wonder how you'd feel if people equated your wanting to make money with you having a huge ego?

Also, +1 on LTE being > than anything Dream Theater has recently released. SFAM was amazing but after that I've been greatly underwhelmed with everything they've released.

You are equating Mike Portnoy's ego to both money and fan reception. I don't care that Portnoy does things for money. I think it's great that he's cool with his fans. I met him, he seemed pretty nice. Got no problems with that. This does not change the fact that he has a large ego. You can both respect your fans and think you are hot shit at the same time.

As for your last point, I agree. If only for the lack of LaBrie's wailing.

And Ken and Schen, guys, seriously. You've both devoted far too much time to this bickerment.

LTE touring the first time around was great to see, but it was also near the height of my love for DT. Seeing as I haven't heard a great DT album in years, I'm surely not interested in seeing LTE reunite. Given the opprotunity to see it again, I'd pass. I recognize the band member as being top flight musicians, but frankly the magic and mystique wouldn't be the same as it was before Jordan was announced as the newest member of Dream Theater.

Just my 2 cents.
Glenn

I was checking out Gonzo, an anime company and found out that they did a Dream Theater video..
I watched the video and thought the animation was great, but the video was nothing special.. and now I have that damn song stuck in my head ! Damn you Dream Theater !!!
The song was Forsaken.

I think thats the only half decent song on the new album, actually. The solo actually has some cool phrasing instead of just being a wankfest.

Actually in this case, by the very definition of the phrase "be the bigger man", it would fall on you to ignore posts that you feel start fights. But I'm not involved in this and dont wanna be :)

I do think that there's a lot of filler on the LTE albums. I can't stand all the jam stuff... I like organization!

Hopefully their set will look something like this:

Paradigm Shift
Kindred Spirits
Freedom of Speech
State of Grace
Universal Mind
Acid Rain
Biaxident
Another Dimension
When the Water Breaks

Exactly the set I had in mind. And hell yeah, Universal Mind owns. :headbang:

Detective Clarence Beauregard said:
And hopefully no random jams whatsoever!

This one's doubtful. :lol:

Ken, chill man your reading too much into things

Anyhow, the only wanking I hear revolving around Petrucci is the jelous MF's that could never come close to what that boy can and has done with a guitar and music. I enjoy every minute of Systematic Chaos and the rest of their albums as well. I think peoples problem is... first of all they jump on the pier group train that says you must hate DT and to prove this you must... A - start shit everytime the name is mentioned and while doing so you must... B - use the word wank at least every third sentence. I dont think people know how to listen to it, these so called long wank fests are musical passages expressing the atmosphere implied by the song. Some people just arent deep enough to go for the trip, they think they are listening to a "solo... aka wank fest". I find myself always amazed at how they can put that stuff together like that and they have never failed to provide me with an enjoyable adventure.

So...... WANK away all ye great budding musicians... I no doubt will soon be hearing your astonishing, state of the art, break through albums................ baaaahahahahahaha

Ken, chill man your reading too much into things

Anyhow, the only wanking I hear revolving around Petrucci is the jelous MF's that could never come close to what that boy can and has done with a guitar and music. I enjoy every minute of Systematic Chaos and the rest of their albums as well. I think peoples problem is... first of all they jump on the pier group train that says you must hate DT and to prove this you must... A - start shit everytime the name is mentioned and while doing so you must... B - use the word wank at least every third sentence. I dont think people know how to listen to it, these so called long wank fests are musical passages expressing the atmosphere implied by the song. Some people just arent deep enough to go for the trip, they think they are listening to a "solo... aka wank fest". I find myself always amazed at how they can put that stuff together like that and they have never failed to provide me with an enjoyable adventure.

So...... WANK away all ye great budding musicians... I no doubt will soon be hearing your astonishing, state of the art, break through albums................ baaaahahahahahaha

The thing is, in my opinion, these wankfests are not really musical. Take a solo like the one in Fatal Tragedy, for instance. THAT is an extremely melodic solo, and all the super fast parts are phrased really well and the groove is fantastic. Versus a solo like As I Am, that has some cool phrasing but the fast runs (to me at least) do not serve the same purpose that they did in Fatal Tragedy, but instead are just "noodly-noodly" and feel like they go nowhere, starting and ending randomly. I'm a lead guitar player, and I feel like solos should accent the song and provide some groove, and I feel that that hasnt happened in Dream Theater's case since about '99. Solos like Another Day, Fatal Tragedy, Spirit Carries On, and especially Under a Glass Moon (perfect example of how a solo can have very fast parts but still be extremely melodic and well-phrased) are some of my favorite guitar solos ever, but the solos on TOT, Octavarium, and Systematic Chaos (except Forsaken) leave a lot to be desired for me. Just my opinion.

If you can wank with the best of 'em, then go ahead and do it if makes you happy...if you have a successful career and maintain a fan base while doing it, then more power to you. There's way too much criticism...DT and Petrucci always seem to get more than their fair share. No one lays down an exceptional solo with every try. What feels and sounds right to the artist may not always strike the same chord with the listener...granted, it's magic when it clicks, but it can't always happen. "Wanking " can be a lot of fun. I still love to have my jaw dropped by some astounding fretboard acrobatics...doesn't mean I feel it's the most profound piece of music, nor should it need be.

well said Schenk so no need for me to write my typical book.... lol

I just get tired of the degradeing terms wanking, noodling ect ect. because I wish I could play like that and I refuse to say I wish I could be a noodley wanker.... lol

Under a Glass Moon to me is the best guitar solo ever, I wouldnt expect to hear that again. If the other one you may be talking about from the new CD is an ungodly long accending run of lightning speed that never breaths, as I recall the last time I listened I felt it had something to do with the topic the lyrics just came out of and go back into. In fact I felt it had alot to do with expressing systematic chaos. I dont really tear these things down like some people though. I couldnt tell you the names of any of the songs, recite lyrics or anything. I just slip them in and play front to back.

Maybe you should not write things like this.

And try not be be so sensitive and paranoid as if everything is directed at you...there are other people here.

Point being that you keep saying you're above this shit, but you keep stepping in it. I said I'd ignore your stupidity, and i'm putting you on ignore right after I hit enter. I realize it's hypocrisy for me to say I would let it go, but after you bullshit yourself in the pants saying "oh yeah, this fight is stupid!" yet continue to perpetuate it, I had to call you on the bullshitting.

/Asshole ignore on.

I actually don't like the solo in that song, and the only reason why I remember that song is because the solo that I dislike. ( Under a glass moon ).

yeah... so like your strange.... :cool:

everybodys different I guess, it blew me away

Yep Canto, that officially makes you the only person in the world who doesnt love that solo ;). Just kidding. To each his own. I freakin' dig it though.