Lyrics about girls, relationships, etc.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Hey, I like that song, JP!

Besides, the notion that metal can't be about positivity and happiness(as well as religious themes...for the last time, religious doesn't mean preachy) is severely limiting a theoretically limitless style of music.
I suppose. But I can't imagine a band whose music sounds like Immolation or Darkthrone talking about how much they love their girlfriend, or how much they miss her after getting dumped in their lyrics.

Life Sucks said:
But I can't imagine a band whose music sounds like Immolation or Darkthrone talking about how much they love their girlfriend, or how much they miss her after getting dumped in their lyrics.
I can understand that it might be tough to imagine, but it's entirely possible. Love lyrics have simply been given a severe stigma by groups like Whitesnake or Dashboard Confessional.

You guys just have to accept the fact that most people's perception of metal lyrics is that they are supposed to be negative, agressive, dark, ass-kicking, etc. Metal is not about positivity or tender emotions. Metal can be positive in the sense that it gives one a feeling of power or an imperative to rally against deception and world-views perceived as false or stifling. The spirit of metal is not to be a whiny little bitch. Mawkish love lyrics would relegate a metal song to the realm of nu-metal or emo. I just do not see how lyrics about love, relationships, etc. reflect the spirit of metal in any sense.

love can be fuckin metal.

it can also be absolutely abhorrent. but that is up to the artist's use of 'love lyrics'.

of all the types of topics to sing about, love is by far the easiest to fuck up and ruin a song. therefore, it is a challenge to write a GOOD love song. especially a metal one

Girl lyrics dont HAVE to be bad... plenty of GOOD metal groups do it well... the key IMO to having GOOD girl lyrics is that the love lyrics have to be somewhat disguised, with metaphors and such. It also shouldnt be "I wanna take your clothes off" kind of lyrics... that just totally craps it and is one big reason why commercial girl lyrics are SOOO bad...

I think Opeth for example handle girl lyrics very well, as it's more sorrowful, and lends a deeper feel to it.

Oh and I DESPISE gore lyrics... simply disgusting.

Decadent said:
Haha. Anyone else listen to Blood Duster? I hope not.

:lol:

Anyways...Lykathea Aflame sang about sadness and longing and a lot of positive stuff, too. And they're still BRUTAL AS SHIT.

Life Sucks said:
I suppose. But I can't imagine a band whose music sounds like Immolation or Darkthrone talking about how much they love their girlfriend, or how much they miss her after getting dumped in their lyrics.
Well those are only two possible sounds metal can have. Its like saying because male A prefers to have sex with men and male B prefers to have sex with men that it's impossible for a male to want to prefer to have sex with a woman.

crimsonfloyd said:
Well those are only two possible sounds metal can have. Its like saying because male A prefers to have sex with men and male B prefers to have sex with men that it's impossible for a male to want to prefer to have sex with a woman.
True. I was basically implying that I such lyrics do not fit with extreme metal, whereas they would not seem as out of place on a power/trad metal album.

Cythraul said:
Damn!!! You busted out the old "men having sex with men" analogy.
Hehe, theres no better way to get a bunch of guys to agree with you then by making them think that they are agreeing that all men want to have sex with men. It works every time :cool:

Life Sucks said:
True. I was basically implying that I such lyrics do not fit with extreme metal, whereas they would not seem as out of place on a power/trad metal album.
Yeah that may be true in general. But I would also say there are exceptions to the rule. Just like a guy can watch The View, read YM magazine, listen to No Doubt but still prefer to have sex with women. :D