\m/ Thrash Metal Discussion \m/

Xentrix were pretty cool. I should catch up with them again.
I personally prefered the debuts from Forbidden, Sacred Reich & Paradox to their later material. Sacred Reich in particular blew me away with their agression which seemed to disappear from alot of thrash in the late 80's.
Have we mentioned Artillery yet?

I don't think anyone has mentioned Artillery. Funny thing is that I have all their albums as MP3s but never got to click enough to buy the boxset they released a little while ago. But it is definitively a well respected and cherish band among hard thrashers.

Are they melodic? It's a name I know but a band I do not.

The whole first album vs. second album debate is one I find quite interesting - I really tend to be a second album kind of guy. I actually think recently that perhaps I like the Xentrix better actually. I just think the songs tend to be a bit more ambitious on second albums, and I like interesting structures. I like first albums too, but not generally as much. Though I do phucking love Ignorance and Forbidden Evil!

Fuck!! Glen Alvelais quit Forbidden :( Replacement Steve Smyth. Is he any good? They should get Tim Calvert back, he was the best.

Will check that video when I get to an internet connection that doesn't utterly suck balls...

You people realy consider Artillery melodic?, what I couldn't get from them is that they are kind of raw for me, more like German thrash than Bay Area one.

I may have to recheck my MP3s.

You people realy consider Artillery melodic?, what I couldn't get from them is that they are kind of raw for me, more like German thrash than Bay Area one.

Their first two albums, yes, but By Inheritance was a huge change.

Like Hamburger Boy sais it´s a huge diffence between "Terror squad" and "Fear of tomorrow" Vs "By inheritance". Last one it´s as "thrash" or as "US power metal" as, for instance, Metal Church. Tons of melodies and catchy songs. I like a lot "Fear of tomorrow" and love "Terror squad" but, IMO, "By inheritance" is Artillery´s masterpiece and "Khomaniac" one of best metal songs ever :headbang:

Artillery sounds good. Not sure about the vocals but that is often the way with me and thrash... once I get past the vocals I often find I'm loving it!

Anyone have anything to say about Steve Smyth? I really want to know if he's any good...

Thanks for the hint both of you guys. I will definitively recheck "By Inheritance".

high-ish pitched, raspy, "typical" thrash vocals get annoying after awhile. i need some thrash metal with deep, manly vocals! any recommendations will be appreciated.

high-ish pitched, raspy, "typical" thrash vocals get annoying after awhile. i need some thrash metal with deep, manly vocals! any recommendations will be appreciated.

Dunno exactly what you're are meaning or looking for since it's all a matter of own perception.

As an example I perfectly tolerate vocals like Megadeth, Metallica, Testament (you can't get more manly than that), Atrophy, Heathen, Zoetrope, Forbidden, Flotsam & Jetsam, Hallows Eve (old at least), Xentrix, Znowhite. To me gets weird when you land on Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, Mastifal, Holy Moses (I know it's a female singer) territory where vocals are too harsh that I can't stand them, but I do dig perfectly Coroner whose vocals are harsh too and I love Abandoned a new German band with very potent manly vocals if you want. Also I have a bit of trouble with Toxik because of the high pithed vocals, but I managed to get used to it, same if you deal with Hirax (thrash-harcore) where you have to acquire the taste for Katon's vocals.
Let's say Metal Church is thrash (some considered it power), I don't stand Wayne's vocals much (I believe he started to sing better at "Masterpeace" but that was a weak album), but I love Howe's vocals: melodic, yet potent and defenitively not sissy. Nevertheless most people revere Wayne's era as the best of the band (which I disagree).

Nevertheless most people revere Wayne's era as the best of the band (which I disagree).

Overall, comparing "Metal church", "The dark" and "Masterpiece (of shit)" Vs. "Blessing in disguise", "The human factor" and "Hanging in the balance", I prefer tho Howe era too.

However, if I could only pick one album I´m sure this would be "Metal Church". All original songs (not the Deep Purple cover) are the perfect example of power metal in the way it should be and if I had to do a king of Metal Church top5 could be:
1. Badlands ("Blessing in disguise")
2. Hitman ("Metal church")
3. The final word ("The human factor")
4. "Gods of wrath" ("Metal church")
5. Tie for "Beyond the black" ("MEtal church") and "THe human factor"

All original songs (not the Deep Purple cover) are the perfect example of power metal in the way it should be

Well that's a point I need for a discussion in another thread.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/7958288-post15.html

Because of the time frame and the way I approached to metal during my developing years I recall people considering Metal Church more thrash, even there was a guy who I recall back at the end of 1987 who talk to me about speed metal bands and he talk about Helloween and Metal Church (I wasn't into neither at the time). I guess with all this modern tagging (there´s a discussion in some thread about it) there's also some revisionism of what is what. To me the best example is this site bnrmetal.com (which I like) where Black Sabbath is labeled as 70's rock and doom, and yes all doom originates in Black Sabbath but I find weird to catalogue them as doom because when they play back in the 70's there was not such label o_O

It's like cataloguing "Welcome To Hell" strictly as black metal or thrash, they may have initiated the lyrical base of black and certainly have an influence on thrash, but back in 1981 was just another NWOBHM band.
Now two years later Metallica comes out with "Kill 'Em All" so, we can say definitively thrash started there?

I firmly believe we have complicated a lot the history and labeling/tagging of bands since the 80's, it was much simpler in the 70's IMO.

Wyv, I wasn´t trying to discuss or to say if Metal Church are thrash or power metal. Just trying to explain what does it mean to me and which are my feelings when I listen Metal Church.

Anyway, I´ll categorize Metal Church, nor power neither thrash, just one the best metal bands ever!!!! :headbang:

Wyv, I wasn´t trying to discuss or to say if Metal Church are thrash or power metal. Just trying to explain what does it mean to me and which are my feelings when I listen Metal Church.

Anyway, I´ll categorize Metal Church, nor power neither thrash, just one the best metal bands ever!!!! :headbang:

Metal Church is the shit, nuff said. :headbang:

Also, HeXen is some really good melodic thrash, check them out, State of Insurgency is my fav thrash CD.