\m/ Thrash Metal Discussion \m/

Wyv, I wasn´t trying to discuss or to say if Metal Church are thrash or power metal.

But I needed your input anyway :lol:

I have to agree that with the Howe era Metal Church is indeed one of the best bands ever.

Dead thread, but I got shit to say anyway. Incubus (Opprobrium)'s Beyond The Unknown is absolutely ridiculous. Each riff fucking destroys. I always liked it but after another listen I realized how badass it really was. Also everyone check out Solstice (US)'s rerelease of their self titled, now named Pray for the Sentencing. Another overlooked deathrash masterpiece with some shred work by THE James Murphy.

this here is the defenition of what thrash metal should sound like. Turn it up and bang your head!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda got out of Metal Church after debut album. Love ton of bricks though. I always considered them thrash. They kicked ass. Drummer, vocals. Six feet of blood? or something. that singer reminds me of MC

Destruction
Sodom
Kreator
Darkness
Assassin
Tankard
Exumer
Slayer
Exodus
Testament
Sacred Reich
Onslaught
Coroner
Wehrmacht
Overkill
Agent Steel
Nuclear Assault
Mortal Sin
Exciter
Destroyers
Wolf Spider
Dragon
Master (from Russia)
Flatbacker (from Japan)

Of course old stuff, I collect 80's LP pressings.
recently very often I am listening to Darkness "Death Squad", Assassin "The Upcoming Terror" and Onslaught "Power From Hell".

Holy Terror
Abbatoir
Heathen
Death Angel
Flotsam and Jetsam
Zoetrope
Whiplash
Savage Messiah
Havok
Gama Bomb
Lich King
Municipal Waste

Enjoying the new Gama Bomb. Short, fast and funny. Works for me :D

To me the definition of thrash is Whiplash "Power and Pain"

A lot of other bands have maybe even made better albums but for some reason this one sticks. Maybe it was the unconventional riff writing and delivery that keeps me interested past other albums like "Reign in Blood" and "Pleasure to Kill"...:confused:

In order to avoid starting a new topic, I'll just post it here (for those who don't check the Thrash Metal topic in the GMD-subforum):

It's the second clip of a full-length song from Mortillery's upcoming third album and I like this song better than the first one, "Radiation Sickness" (no, not a Nuclear Assault-cover).

this here is the defenition of what thrash metal should sound like. Turn it up and bang your head!!!!

Violent Restitution is fantastic, as well as Shotgun Justice and Open Hostility (drums are triggered on this one) and of course Evil Invaders, which is my personal favorite out of the 4.

Need gear help. Ive been playing guitar for ten years just for fun but recently decided to make an album with my brother who plays bass. the demo tracks rip, but i was never serious enough to invest in good gear so im playing a crappy low end jackson through a crappy line 6, and my tone literally sounds like distorted farts. Im a huge fan of gary hotl's tone in exodus and want to sound somewhat like that. my budget is fairly large but not crazy. I was thinking about throwing some blackouts in my jackson, getting a kemper so i can run it on the dual rectifier profile, (through a marshal) and using a "gary holt HBE Doomsday device". I have a shit load of playing experience, but minimal knowledge of gear. if i take that proposed rig into a studio, will that be enough to fuck shit up?

Odds are you will probably be playing through a Fractal Axe FX type of rackmounted processor in most studios with modern recording these days. I have done a couple albums and you just plug in and find a good guitar tone/sound you like. So theres no worries about ambient sounds when using a mic in front of an amp. Just faster and easier especially when the clocks ticking and your wallet is getting thinner. Any tone you want you can find if the studio you're going to has a list of gear they have . The MOST important thing as a guitarist in studio is to have a guitar that stays in tune! Make sure the neck is adjusted, intonation is proper. Have it set up beforehand. Even put new strings on it a couple days prior to going in. I can't stress this enough. As far as gear in studio or on stage.... Keep it simple and play your ass off. Sorry if this wasn't exactly what you wanted advice on.