\m/ Thrash Metal Discussion \m/

I have to add Toxik and Atrophy to my list, I don't know why I didn´t mentioned them before.

Just as a curiosity I like to see opinions regarding the following statement: Being Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament, Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, Sepultura (to me they´re more death than thrash) the most famous (or succesful) bands in thrash, where you leave bands that are well known but maybe not as famous like Death Angel, Dark Angel, Forbidden?

Well, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most obvious thrash comeback - Metallica. Death Magnetic has been a sales hit all over and has gotten good feedback. Is it because it's still "uncool" to like Metallica on this board?

Metallica hasn't released anything that can be considered thrash since Justice.

Thrash started getting popular again back in.. I dunno.. 2003? Now that there was yet again a market, bands could reunite to do what they like doing the most. If they reunite for the money or not is hard to say but it's definitely a contributing factor.
Most old school bands seem to go for this modern production that I personally think sucks. That and lack of passion/songwriting makes for a lot of crappy albums. I can't really think of any successful comebacks at the moment.. but on the other hand.. I try to stay as far away from them as I can.

I can't really think of any successful comebacks at the moment.. but on the other hand.. I try to stay as far away from them as I can.

Death Angel - "The Art Of Dying" one of the best comebacks in history IMO.

I’m a thrasher from way back. I think it’s the ultimate form of metal for a couple of reasons (apart from it’s what I grew up with). Thrash not only gave birth to all extreme metal sub-genres, it gave metal its own identity and independence from under the ‘Rock banner’. And as a very proud Headbanger for 25 years, that means a lot to me, I dunno how you all feel about this.
Personally, I can’t tell you how much I’m enjoy this current glut of thrash releases from the oldies and newer bands already mentioned in this thread.(if you don’t like Warbringer you just don’t like thrash metal), and have started to dig deeper finding names like; Suicidal Angels, Legion of the Damned, Susperia. It’s FUCKING AWESOME. People complaining these bands are just ripping off Exodus, Slayer and 80s Metallica are missing the point of what’s going on; it’s Thrash! If no bands in the mid 80s ripped off the innovators it would have been a long time between tours and releases for thrash-hungry metalheads, and I’m glad for my Artillery, Exumer and Evil Dead, and the list goes on.
So sure the new bands are borrowing heavily from the past, but who gives a fuck, they are playing it with so much passion and excitement, and it shines through on the recording.
But having said all of this I think it’s the future that is most exciting. The worst things that happened to thrash were the Florida Death Metal explosion and the commercial success of the‘Black Album’ the later for making so many thrash bands change their sound (for the worst) to, ‘expand their audien$e’ Testament’s-Legacy and Overkill’s-I Hear Black, are a couple of stinky examples of this trend. And Death metal/Grindcore for being there for a lot of disgruntled thrash fan. And once you started to understand blastbeats and the death growl (both so commonplace in metal today), then you got hooked on it’s extremities and only the heaviest of the established thrash bands Slayer, Sepultura were going to survive. Great late comers like Intruder, Vio-lence and Demolition Hammer didn’t stand a chance.
So what’s gonna happen with Bonded by Blood, Evile, Dekapitator and the rest of these promising new bands. Thrash certainly didn’t evolve to Death Metal; it was more consumed by its extremes. Perhaps they will evolve into something thrash in the 80s, early 90s didn’t get a chance to, with the Metallica sellout, Death Metal and I guess Grunge. Time will tell. So enjoy. Thrash back, it’s a fucking good thing.
Horns Up Brothers, we are the ones who know what the others do not. lmL

I’m a thrasher from way back. I think it’s the ultimate form of metal for a couple of reasons (apart from it’s what I grew up with). Thrash not only gave birth to all extreme metal sub-genres, it gave metal its own identity and independence from under the ‘Rock banner’. And as a very proud Headbanger for 25 years, that means a lot to me, I dunno how you all feel about this.
Personally, I can’t tell you how much I’m enjoy this current glut of thrash releases from the oldies and newer bands already mentioned in this thread.(if you don’t like Warbringer you just don’t like thrash metal), and have started to dig deeper finding names like; Suicidal Angels, Legion of the Damned, Susperia. It’s FUCKING AWESOME. People complaining these bands are just ripping off Exodus, Slayer and 80s Metallica are missing the point of what’s going on; it’s Thrash! If no bands in the mid 80s ripped off the innovators it would have been a long time between tours and releases for thrash-hungry metalheads, and I’m glad for my Artillery, Exumer and Evil Dead, and the list goes on.
So sure the new bands are borrowing heavily from the past, but who gives a fuck, they are playing it with so much passion and excitement, and it shines through on the recording.
But having said all of this I think it’s the future that is most exciting. The worst things that happened to thrash were the Florida Death Metal explosion and the commercial success of the‘Black Album’ the later for making so many thrash bands change their sound (for the worst) to, ‘expand their audien Testament’s-Legacy and Overkill’s-I Hear Black, are a couple of stinky examples of this trend. And Death metal/Grindcore for being there for a lot of disgruntled thrash fan. And once you started to understand blastbeats and the death growl (both so commonplace in metal today), then you got hooked on it’s extremities and only the heaviest of the established thrash bands Slayer, Sepultura were going to survive. Great late comers like Intruder, Vio-lence and Demolition Hammer didn’t stand a chance.
So what’s gonna happen with Bonded by Blood, Evile, Dekapitator and the rest of these promising new bands. Thrash certainly didn’t evolve to Death Metal; it was more consumed by its extremes. Perhaps they will evolve into something thrash in the 80s, early 90s didn’t get a chance to, with the Metallica sellout, Death Metal and I guess Grunge. Time will tell. So enjoy. Thrash back, it’s a fucking good thing.

Wow man, that was one hell of a first post!
Welcome to UM Forum.
Anyways, I agree, Thrash is Metal at its best
for it was the first subgenre that was really
just pure fucking metal and had less "Rock" influence
than any other subgenre of its time. To me, Thrash is
the one subgenre that truly captures the word "Heavy Metal".

I had just heard of this band today so im not
quite sure if this is Underground thrash or
underated for that matter. Anyone a fan of this band?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, lantern666, that post was nothing less than the history of thrash itself. I don't agree with everything you said, but it really puts the current thrash scene into perspective. Great post.

Like desert demon said I don't agree with all your post but it is a very good one. Thrash is a very good sub-genre were tecnicality and agression can go hand in hand (and unlike Death Metal the vocals are decent :heh:, that one is to piss UM).

I was a late thrasher (started in 92) but I begun to dug more and more bands with the years. Now I'm both discovering old bands and new ones, some I like some not. It doesn't surprise that a revival came in thrash because it's easy to digest, there's melody, harmony, clean vocals, speed, agression, technicality and even ballads! So yes let's rise our cups for the revival of thrash :kickass:

NP: Xentrix - 'Waiting'

I heard about it but never listened to it, so I will put it in the underrated because is a classic band. I usually refer as underground for new bands that haven't sign (most of the times) on any label with a good distribution, are only on the demo stage or not even that.
I will put Defiance in the level of Artillery, Attomica, Witchhammer, Death Row, Hammers Rule, Hexenhaus, Maninnya Blade, Sacrifice, Slaughter, Sylence, Stos, Savage Steel and countless others that had one or more releases and even achieved a cult position but never were as great (on distribution and sellings) as Slayer, Testament, Metallica, Megadeth, Overkill, Kreator, Destruction, etc.

If you want to check some underground thrash go to http://www.witches-brew.org/ and check their catalague as well the fourm (if you want) they are high on underground thrash, I know them for many years (even before joint UMOS, when they were call The Metal Gospel) and they know their stuff.

But having said all of this I think it’s the future that is most exciting. The worst things that happened to thrash were the Florida Death Metal explosion and the commercial success of the‘Black Album’ the later for making so many thrash bands change their sound (for the worst) to, ‘expand their audien Testament’s-Legacy and Overkill’s-I Hear Black, are a couple of stinky examples of this trend. And Death metal/Grindcore for being there for a lot of disgruntled thrash fan. And once you started to understand blastbeats and the death growl (both so commonplace in metal today), then you got hooked on it’s extremities and only the heaviest of the established thrash bands Slayer, Sepultura were going to survive. Great late comers like Intruder, Vio-lence and Demolition Hammer didn’t stand a chance.

WOW!! i feel honored u posted ur first ever post on my thread it was quite an epic post, im 16 atm if i was born 25 years ago im sure i would hav had the same life as u hav just had for the past 25 yrs, u were born in a gud generation i idolize people like you, my mate read ur post and was quite pissed by you bagging the florida death explosion, i agree with you though but look what genre prevailed, death is literally dead no offense knapik, thrash is reborn again, il repeat ur life u hav just lived for the next 25 yrs dont worry il do a damn gud job of it while im at it. \m/

DEFIANCE - VOID TERRA FIRMA

I swear dude you like some seriously good thrash, i thought no one would have herd of this band, from now on i wont doubt anyones musical tastes, u should check out holy terror u might already know them but, and if u want to hear some aussie thrash besides mortal sin check out hobbs angel of death i dont expect you to have herd of them as they are australian like myself ;) LOL

I always felt Defiance epitomized the fall of Thrash Metal as a viable form of art, as they capture the essence of the Thrash Metal movement of the late 80s in which bands were more interested in signing to a big label (after Metallica broke though) than actually creating something of legitimate substance.

WOW!! i feel honored u posted ur first ever post on my thread it was quite an epic post, im 16 atm

If you can push that out of a hat at 16 I can rest assured that the torch of the old school is passing to good hands in the next generation, my salute to you :kickass:

And yes definitively welcome to the forum ;)

Hey dude I wasn't bagging death metal. What I was saying was in 1990 I was 20 years old, there was a whole new group of kids listening to Napalm Death and Carcass, but my mates were happy with our thrash. That was until we were hit with disappointment after disappointment. Anthrax kicking out Joey, rockier sounding albums, (one point here in a previous post I bagged Testament's The Legacy. This was a mistake as The Legacy is a monster debut, what I meant was- The Ritual), I just think a lot of thrash fans the world over smelt a rat (because; despite society’s misconceptions, the Metal subculture is one above the average intellect) and until Pantera at least, they turned their backs on the thrash scene altogether in favour of Death Metal and long sleeve t-shirts. I think Pantera knew this, and no matter how big they got, they always tried to reinforce their ties to the Metal underground.
But the Florida Death Metal Scene had a lot to offer. Morbid angel became one of my fav all-time bands. The Morbid pentagram was the first tattoo I ever got. And Chuck R.I.P. from Death was one of Metal’s true geniuses. I can’t say I listen to a lot of contempry Death Metal, Decapitated in the only one of recent years that has gotten me excited. But some of the albums from that period between ’89 and ’94 were solid gold.
But wading through years of horrible Nu Metal, it wasn’t back catalogues of Death Metal I scoured looking for quality I may have missed. It was Thrash.

(one point here in a previous post I bagged Testament's The Legacy. This was a mistake as The Legacy is a monster debut, what I meant was- The Ritual)

OK, I was about to go all guns blazing on you, but then as moderator I remember that different people have diferent taste and conceptions and maybe you didn't like TL which is valid since I never have liked Slayer and everybody consider them a sacred cow.

I just think a lot of thrash fans the world over smelt a rat

Well I was one of them in a sense. I wasn't into thrash went it started and even peaked because it was too extreme for me at the time (now it was my gain since I'm getting into a lot of albums I didn't before and so I always have new material to enjoy). But to me the rat was Death (my apologies to the fans of extreme music) and Grunge and all those sub-genres that deviated from NWOBHM and classic metal, I sensed my precious metal went down the drain with those movements. Luckily Metal as a genre is absolutely resilient, and time allowed its many subgenres to survive and flourish, so now everybody can pick its favorite poison. The thrash revival is just a way to show that good metal will never fade and it will come back to caress the old fans and to hook up new ones.

Well, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most obvious thrash comeback - Metallica. Death Magnetic has been a sales hit all over and has gotten good feedback. Is it because it's still "uncool" to like Metallica on this board?

When we speak of a thrash revival you can see it two ways:
1) quality albums being released or...
2) good album sales and/or concert attendance
With this criteria I would mention Testament whose Formation of Damnation may not have been a sales smash but they did go on a high-profile tour with Heaven and Hell and Judas Priest.
Likewise Megadeth who continues to tour succesfully and whose last two albums have done pretty well.

Well after listening to both Death Magnetic by Metallica and Hordes of Chaos by Kreator. I would have to say Metallica and Thrash should not be named in the same sentence.