Males and Females

@EspaDa - hah, I came with a similar question:

How important do you folks find shared musical interests to be? With sound carrying I rank it up pretty high compared to, say, gaming, which you can do without involving your SO. It's tough to blast some music if it's found offensive, let's not even mention road trips.

Also, for the guys. How much luck do you have with ladies into similar music who don't look 'metal'?

I have yet to find a woman with similar metal tastes. I dated this blonde woman who was into metal, which was cool, but slipknot was her favorite band and I could not stand that shit. I tried my best to tolerate it but that literally became the reason we broke up. We went to a slipknot concert and I was mocking them afterwards.

Anyway luckily I'm also into classical and jazz and some classy women find it appealing that I can go to a symphony with them and actually enjoy myself. The woman I'm seeing now is big into classical. I think at least some kind of musical connection is important.

Best to stay away from metal girls. Psychotic attention whores.

My wife doesnt like 99% of the music I listen to but she does like Messiah era Candlemass and Hail to England, so there's that.
I just imagined you going, "I'll take it." :tickled:

@EspaDa - hah, I came with a similar question:

How important do you folks find shared musical interests to be? With sound carrying I rank it up pretty high compared to, say, gaming, which you can do without involving your SO. It's tough to blast some music if it's found offensive, let's not even mention road trips.

Also, for the guys. How much luck do you have with ladies into similar music who don't look 'metal'?

For me, it's basically the single most important aspect I look for in a woman aside from them just being a genuinely good person. I would have a hard time really connecting to someone if they weren't into some of the same bands as me. It's not a complete deal breaker (saying that they hate Seinfeld is...) but my music is such an important part of who I am as a person that if I can't share that with my SO then what is the point?

In regards to your second question, I don't really hang out with chicks who are into metal that don't wear denim and leather on a daily basis.

I've never dated a chick who liked metal. Whenever it comes to putting on music in a shared area it's usually hip-hop or something electronic. One of my exes was into Sons of Anarchy so I would sneak in some Down songs from time to time and call it "Biker Metal" but it didn't work.

But yeah it's really not that important in the grand scheme of things. If you have to listen to Beyonce, she can deal with some Dying Fetus. It's a relationship after all.

I guess I've almost exclusivly dated girls who are into metal to various degrees. I don't really think it is that important though, but it is natural when you used to hang at metal clubs, have metal friends, etc. Long hair usually attracts that crowd too.

My wife now shares some of my tastes and tolerates pretty much everything (except Tony Wakeford). She does like Kent though, the worst band in the world which is abit awkward. ;)

Most metal girls aren't really into the same stuff as me anyway, I mean I don't think I have ever met a girl who likes albums like (as in a big fan of not just thinking it is good if I put it on) Awaken the Guardian, Battle Cry, Dark Quarterer, will of the Gods is Great Power etc. It is either 70s inspired stoner/doom/retro occult rock shit or it is full blown black/death style. Sword and Sorcery doesn't really attract girls. ;)

A highly varied music taste with a definite appreciation of metal has always been important to me. It's nice being able to shoot the shit with someone about new albums coming out, or have them actually want to look into the band they overhear you listening to.

But the variety is the more important part, not really into one-dimensional stereotypes.

Last edited:
I guess I've almost exclusivly dated girls who are into metal to various degrees. I don't really think it is that important though, but it is natural when you used to hang at metal clubs, have metal friends, etc. Long hair usually attracts that crowd too.

My wife now shares some of my tastes and tolerates pretty much everything (except Tony Wakeford). She does like Kent though, the worst band in the world which is abit awkward. ;)

Most metal girls aren't really into the same stuff as me anyway, I mean I don't think I have ever met a girl who likes albums like (as in a big fan of not just thinking it is good if I put it on) Awaken the Guardian, Battle Cry, Dark Quarterer, will of the Gods is Great Power etc. It is either 70s inspired stoner/doom/retro occult rock shit or it is full blown black/death style. Sword and Sorcery doesn't really attract girls. ;)

You don't know the girls that I know then.

A highly varied music taste with a definite appreciation of metal has always been important to me. The variety being the more important part, not really into one-dimensional stereotypes.

Honestly, this. I need a girl that gonna get down to Lizzy with me but she also has to sling whiskey and blast Dolly Parton and Kraftwerk as well.

Reactions: Carpe Mortem
Amen. I edited my post just as you must have been typing BTW. It's better. Stronger. You quoted too soon.