Males and Females

And I suppose companies can legally pay women less? Research I've read on the subject, like this shows that income disparity is not a simple result of oppression and does not always go in a single direction.

Don't have time to read that right now. I agree that income discrimination doesn't go in a single direction, but when it comes to higher earning jobs women often have a lot more difficult of a time being hired.

Not if the extremists are what's in the way of the US finally letting go of all the bullshit it attaches to sex and race.

No sure what you mean when you say "all of the bullshit" but I think most people realize that race and gender are still major issues in our society.

Then why choose to call it that? "Patriarchy" makes it seem like it's a male-exclusive or male-created phenomenon.

No it doesn't. You're just fixated on a simplistic definition of the term.

Race or at least cultural differences are always going to be a source of inequality in a country that has mass immigration, I would have thought, unless you only allowed fairly westernised middle class people in or something.

Mathiäs;10768941 said:
That is a definite possibility. It happened to me with one of my longtime friends who I always considered to be average looking, but then as I really got to know her everything changed dramatically.

Those kinds of events are very special because initial attractions can fade easily, but one built over a long period of time is hard to shake.

Yeah, absolutely. I wasn't attracted to my previous girlfriend (shut the fuck up) at all when we first met, but as we started to get to know each other better, her physical "imperfections" became endearing and I fell in love with the damn girl.

Laura also makes a good point. Very few waves of feminism, especially now, as far as I know, are trying to "destroy men", or whatever fantasy those ignorant of the movement have deluded themselves into believing. They're just as concerned with men's issues as well. Take the short-sighted stance on child custody that semi-literate MRA types like to bring up, for instance. This is an example of the patriarchy at work. Most feminists want it done away with just as much as everyone else. It's just striving toward the ideal where people aren't consigned to pre-determined roles based on an antiquated binary approach to gender based on the set of biological cards they were dealt at birth.

I can't wait until I live in a world where I can walk into a car dealership or auto repair shop and not be treated like I'm wearing a diaper and a helmet, personally.

I can't wait until I live in a world where I can walk into a car dealership or auto repair shop and not be treated like I'm wearing a diaper and a helmet, personally.

I remember you were surprised ice was slippery after driving on it like a week ago.

It does make me angry how gendered baby clothing and toys for small children are. That is just stupidly unnecessary.

This is done to attempt instill as early as possible a sense of gender and cultural role, here is your pink shit, you will grow up to be a worthless sandwich maker.

Here's some black or boy toys, etc etc, you will grew up to be strong and protect your sandwich/baby maker.

However this does not work both ways, as a woman who is masculine is usually trying to get ahead, better herself. A man who is feminine is automatically bad. Being feminine is badddddddd. Works the same with homophobia.

balls I've studied this at uni and the definitive point always seemed to be that as much as it irked feminists, they had to admit that gender roles are mostly innate.

So I went to see Neurosis and YOB with the chick I met from the High on Fire show. Weve been talking for a few weeks and things are cool, but I realized Im not really attracted to her. Shes definitely someone I see having a lifelong friendship with because we have ALOT of similar interests and outlooks, and shes fucking rad, its just Im not attracted to her physically.

All good. No harm no foul.

After doing a click on AIDSbook, I have to say you are fucked if you don't find her attractive.

Don't have time to read that right now. I agree that income discrimination doesn't go in a single direction, but when it comes to higher earning jobs women often have a lot more difficult of a time being hired.

This could be because people in higher positions tend to be older and hold onto archaic ideas about women, and/or because women tend to work part-time or have a greater chance of switching to part-time later on to take care of a child, and people are less likely to hire someone for a higher-paying position if they are going to switch to part-time. Also, men tend to spend more money and idolize high-paying jobs more.

No sure what you mean when you say "all of the bullshit" but I think most people realize that race and gender are still major issues in our society.

I mean shitty slacktivism like "Stop the R Word." It doesn't solve any real problems. It just breeds self-righteous do-nothing tribalism for social justice.

No it doesn't. You're just fixated on a simplistic definition of the term.

After some thinking, agreed.

Mother Nature by Sarah Hrdy is a good place to start. But if you look at the animal kingdom in general, it's obvious. Men and women have different reproductive anatomy. It's not the craziest thing in the world to assume they'd evolve different psychological traits like any other animal.

Hell, even basic sensory things are different. Women can distinguish between colors and hear better than men. Men can see better than women and create better 3d models of things in their heads. Differences between male and female behavior go further back than our own species. Our brains are even different.

Yeah race will always be a social issue in America, at least during our lifetime.

Disagree. I'm biracial and grew up in a really diverse town, and I didn't even get race until I was ten-years-old or so. It wasn't until all these concepts were taught to me in school that I thought of black and white skin as anything more than quirks of physical appearance like brown hair and red hair. Obviously some people are still racist in society, but the millennials are so far past that that some are vehemently anti-racist.

Mother Nature by Sarah Hrdy is a good place to start. But if you look at the animal kingdom in general, it's obvious. Men and women have different reproductive anatomy. It's not the craziest thing in the world to assume they'd evolve different psychological traits like any other animal.

Hell, even basic sensory things are different. Women can distinguish between colors and hear better than men. Men can see better than women and create better 3d models of things in their heads. Differences between male and female behavior go further back than our own species. Our brains are even different.

Never heard of that Hrdy book; will take a look. Appealing to the "nature" of another species and pointing to the "obvious" analogous sociobiological structure between us and them to demonstrate something is so evidently a shifty move that I don't feel like I should even have to explain why it fails. It strikes me as a weird combination of the naturalistic fallacy and the is-ought problem. Needless to say, just because species in the animal kingdom adhere to some binary way of living (that we're looking at and projecting from our biased human perspective, mind you), doesn't automatically mean that it's written into our genes that men are to behave one way and women another; and even if that was the case, the fact that you have people actively wanting to buck the system indicates that it's just not right to think that because you're born with two X chromosomes that you're predetermined to live your life in a manner rigidly defined by a history of fuckup humans.

Disagree. I'm biracial and grew up in a really diverse town, and I didn't even get race until I was ten-years-old or so. It wasn't until all these concepts were taught to me in school that I thought of black and white skin as anything more than quirks of physical appearance like brown hair and red hair. Obviously some people are still racist in society, but the millennials are so far past that that some are vehemently anti-racist.

Go to a poor urban area and make that claim. Economic, educational, and social disparity among different races is still a very big deal.

The only people who believe that immigration, miscegenation and a political and media atmosphere of post-white supremacy will lead to a world without racism are people who are gormless enough to see it purely as a construct created by certain structures of power within a limited time span. The entire world would have to move in the same direction at the same rate, due to the effects of globalisation and so on. In the UK there is supposed to be a load of tension brewing between the Pakistanis and the recent Roma immigrants from Eastern Europe. They have very different ways of life. Now if you listened to the gormless, politically correct response to this, either from a mainstream politician or someone like Vimana, there would be some "positive" step towards a mystical eventual goal of harmony between the races. How can anything like that be finite or working towards something when you have mass immigration? What happens when the Syrians come? People will have always said what I'm saying now, but when did race riots stop happening, when did racially motivated murders stop? As far as I can tell they haven't, so a lot of what people say is bollocks. One thing happened towards the latter part of the last century, white people, as a whole, generally, ended up being more open minded about race and had less of a positive self conscious racial identity. Again, gormless politically correct people will be singing and dancing, waving rainbow flags about how great that is. I say, well it isn't shit, it's better than us still having what was going on in the US in the 1910s-1920s where entire black neighbourhoods would be destroyed in huge race riots over very slight incidents involving single individuals. It's also better than having the holocaust and apartheid and so on. There is another side though. It's not so much that now whites are the victims in the world or whatever, we're not, but unlike the time just before that period, we are no longer half of the world population, we don't directly administer most of the world and most of the supposed future world powers have none white populations, as well as non hispanic whites slowly losing their majority status in the US. Basically, it's a bit like this, the power of white people being less racist, to use a simplistic term, is offset by their decreasing power in the world. I think gormless people would, again, simply sing and dance about the latter, but through their horrendous world-view of absolute cultural relativism, they lack the customary phlegm and moral fortitude to be able to criticise social wrongs in none white populations and other societies generally. So you can see the problem.

Go to a poor urban area and make that claim. Economic, educational, and social disparity among different races is still a very big deal.

Disparity =! Racism. Try not being so bigoted against the "poor". It's no different than pitying the "savages". Who is to say those living in the projects or "ghettos" are wrong for their lifestyle? Fucking privilege speaking. Everyone needs to be like white urbanites.