MAN food

What's the manliest food ?? he ?

• Souvlaki (Puffs)

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Brain (Kreustfeld-Jacob whatever the spelling)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Entrails (Pooh-addicts)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pork or beef testicles (MAN)

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • What time is it again ?

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
Kokorech
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You may always hear that Turkish and Greek kitchens are very similar and may be you will be tired of hearing that over and over for everything. But really Kokorec (it may be read as Cocorech) is unique for both countries and name is the same for this fast food. Before Mc.Donalds, Burger Kings or any other American things come in to Turkish or Greek Market, we had our fast kind of meals. One of them is Kokorec and it has impossibly good taste, hmmmmmm!!![/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You may know what it is made of; intestine. It may sound disgusting but noooo it is nottttt. The intestine is washed times and times and good stuff is put inside them and you begin to grill this wraped intestine over wood fire. And some of its portion is taken from the stick (shish-kalamaki) and with knife it is cut into very small peaces. After that some spices is added and it is put inside a bread. I usually prefer half of the bread. ( I am getting hungry!!!)[/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I must regret that it includes big amount of fat and collesterol. And it is forbidden to eat by European Community. Even Greece is in EU, Greeks rejected to forbid this traditional meal. The reason of forbiding of Kokorec was after mad-cow disease. But Greeks has continued the discussion by saying "We are eating Kokorec for years and nothing has happened to us!":)[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I know this kind of words excist in Turkey too. Especially after the accident of Chernobil Nucler Electric Central, all the neighbouring countries said to be infected by nuclear dirt. And Turks said "Nothing happens to us! We will continue to drink our tea (Cay-Tchi)." Nobody can say what happened to Turks after that accident couse we will see it some years later. And all the affects will be seen in all the neighbouring countries after some years.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The reactions of Greeks and Turks proved that traditions are very strong against anything including the treat of health.[/font]

Web posted [font=ARIAL,HELVETICA,GENEVA,sans-serif]Wednesday, December 22, 1999[/font]

Turks ponder impact of EU on their favorite sandwich

The Associated Press
ISTANBUL, Turkey (AP) -- Turks say their country can abolish the death penalty, reform the courts and even slash chronically high inflation. But it can't do away with kokorec, a street-sold sandwich of roasted tripe, chopped tomatoes and oregano that could be banned if Turkey adopts European Union health standards. "We won't give up our kokorec, EU or no EU," said Talyan Erdogan, a student, as he bit into the popular snack. After the initial euphoria of being formally named a candidate for EU membership, Turks are beginning to grapple with the cans and cannots of membership. Newspapers have offered a list of cannots that include eating kokorec from street stands and dining on roasted sheep's heads. Turks will also have to give up their often dangerous driving habits or risk fines that will be 50 percent higher next year, in line with those applied in the EU. Turks are beginning "to worry that they might have to give up just a little too much of their identity in order to conform to EU standards," the English-language Turkish Daily News said in a commentary. "After all, smooth-flowing, orderly traffic is a blessing... as long as I am not forbidden to ignore red lights." There are tens of thousands of pages of EU regulations members must adhere to, from food safety to telecommunications to administrative law. It is unclear if kokorec would indeed be banned. Greece is fighting a ban despite EU concerns that lamb brains, spinal cord and glands -- possibly infected with mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy -- could easily be mixed with the tripe. The EU named Turkey a candidate for membership earlier this month although the process could take years. Turkey must first carry out sweeping reforms, including putting an end to what human rights activists and diplomats say is the widespread use of torture by the military and police. Turkey must also reform its legal system and stop jailing dissidents for their writings. Turkey will also have to abolish the death penalty. EU members have demanded that Turkey not carry out its death sentence against Kurdish rebel leader Abdullah Ocalan. Turkey must also reduce its inflation, currently about 60 percent, and trim the state deficit. Turkish leaders have vowed to speedily push through reforms and some optimistic Turkish politicians say that Turkey could be ready for membership in as little as five years. "We have to modernize ourselves from non-governmental to governmental institutions. From traffic to hospitals, everything will change. There is no other way," said Huseyin Bagci, a political analyst at Middle Eastern Technical University. "It is the most important mental change for Turkey in the last 100 years." The EU welcomes the public debate. "It's a good thing that there is public debate and that people begin to think about what is this EU they are thinking of joining," said Niall Leonard of the Commission's office in Ankara. Some Turks are optimistic that when it comes to kokorec, they may be able to win some converts in the EU. "Maybe the Europeans will start eating it too," said Hakan Danisma, as he made a late-night stop at a kokorec stand.

s0177.jpg

If you ever have eaten a "curryworst" or a "cervela" (sorry, don't know the words in english) then you probably have eaten all those horrible things at once. (they told me that there cat's tongues in it,... when i was a kid. it didn't stop me from eating it though :D )

You know, it's already a classic by now here to tell such things to disgust each other, but the point is that people really do exaggarate in this. I remember tests from 'Test Aankoop' and they were much more positive than one might expect. Come on, why would they throw cat's thongues in it :err:

Cerulean said:
You know, it's already a classic by now here to tell such things to disgust each other, but the point is that people really do exaggarate in this. I remember tests from 'Test Aankoop' and they were much more positive than one might expect. Come on, why would they throw cat's thongues in it
err.gif

Yeah, i do know that it's not that bad, but i was trying to over-gross the turkish...and failed miserably

Btw, when i was a kid, they also told me that there was a huge man dressed in red who would give you a lot of toys on some particular day. I also believed that :). In fact, i almost believed everything they told me... But not now anymore, now i am paranoid :heh:

Cerulean said:
I don't want to eat this animal's arse :cry:
Why would someone eat it while you can eat a niiiice tasty steak :p

Well I don't know about its arse but heifer udder is really delicious. It's been ages since I last ate some, miss it :(

yo should see the shit fillipinos, thai's etc eat, chicken embryos raw, bones and all, cockroaches in batter, cooking with goats bile

The meat that goes into this Turkish sandwich is what we call "kolbász". (Maybe you Turkish people brought it with you when you invaded us :)) So Hungarians may have to give it up after we join? They will miss it so much! :)

They're also afraid that traditional poppy seed cookies will be banned.