Manes 'Vilosophe' makes me urinate with glee!

I bought the first Antimatter, not the new one. :p I'll send it your way if you want though, email me your address because I have certainly lost it by now. :)

NAD said:
I bought the first Antimatter, not the new one. :p I'll send it your way if you want though, email me your address because I have certainly lost it by now. :)

Only send it if you don't want it anymore. I'll happily buy it if it's worth it. I'll wait for the review though. Can't remember who's supposed to be doing that one...*cough*

JayKeeley said:
Only send it if you don't want it anymore. I'll happily buy it if it's worth it. I'll wait for the review though. Can't remember who's supposed to be doing that one...*cough*
Heh, if you checked your inbox more often you would know. :D It is definitely well worth it (why do you think I purchased their first one immediately?), let me know if you don't feel like buying it though!

NAD said:
Heh, if you checked your inbox more often you would know. :D It is definitely well worth it (why do you think I purchased their first one immediately?), let me know if you don't feel like buying it though!

Oh my gosh - I go one night without checking my e-mail and I get heat. :loco:

Between now and the next upload, I'm sure I'll get round to reading it.:cool:

So I heard Manes this morning, on the way into work. Well, it's different to what I thought it would be. It's much more 'electronic' than, say, Arcturus.

The first track is a little distracting, because track 2 is just phenomenal! I remember track 4 being great too. I'll hear the second half tonight on the way home.

So far so good.

By the way, notice how in the 90's, everything retro was being pulled from the 70's? Well, now we're in the 00's, it seems like I'm hearing more and more electronica from the gothpop days of the 80's.

Manes is one obviously. And believe it or not, Passenger is another. Passenger are less electronic, but you can definitely hear some similarities between these two. Worth a listen before anyone writes them off with the "In Flames sellout" crowd.

JayKeeley said:
By the way, notice how in the 90's, everything retro was being pulled from the 70's? Well, now we're in the 00's, it seems like I'm hearing more and more electronica from the gothpop days of the 80's.
Listening to Thyrane right now I'm getting the same vibe.

Well, eighties nostalgia began to manifest itself in more blatant forms late in the 90s with power metal (see the Maiden influenced thread)...what other examples of bands incorporating non-metal influences from the 80s in creative ways have you heard? This is not a dispute of your theory, I ask this for my own enlightenment. :)

Demonspell said:
Well, eighties nostalgia began to manifest itself in more blatant forms late in the 90s with power metal (see the Maiden influenced thread)...what other examples of bands incorporating non-metal influences from the 80s in creative ways have you heard? This is not a dispute of your theory, I ask this for my own enlightenment. :)

Sure, absolutley. But I'm being specific to the goth-pop scene of the 80's, not stuff like Maiden or Raven etc.

Bands like Joy Division, Depeche Mode, New Order, Siouxie and the Banshees all seem to have jerked their seed into The Gathering, Passenger, Manes, Thyrane, The Kovenant, etc.

Not that they were all 'goth', but they all had that same drone-like electronica vibe, you know?

And if you throw in some early 90's mainstream techno into the mix a la Prodigy and Chemical Brothers, you end up with the aformentioned hybrids - almost to a tee.

Ulver, Pain, 30 Seconds to Mars, Antimatter, etc. All these groups definitely have 80s influence.

NAD said:
Ulver, Pain, 30 Seconds to Mars, Antimatter, etc. All these groups definitely have 80s influence.

Yeah but these bands reference 80's pop culture correct? I just think it's interesting that we have these strands of post NWOBHM influenced metal bands, and post 80's darkwave gothpop metal, and the latter tends to be a little more....*gasp*...'progressive'.

NAD said:

Well, I find it very difficult to think of the futuristic cityscapes of current Ulver as having retro elements, and Mick has said that he's influenced by 70s prog...maybe my problem is not being familiar enough with 80s gothpop... :)

Demonspell said:
Well, I find it very difficult to think of the futuristic cityscapes of current Ulver as having retro elements, and Mick has said that he's influenced by 70s prog...maybe my problem is not being familiar enough with 80s gothpop... :)

You know, I don't really know Ulver past the initial trilogy, so I'll let NAD respond here.

But dude, Manes & The Gathering etc? Total 80's. If you're not familiar, check out Depeche Mode - very dark, 80's rock pop. I guess you do need to hear both sides before making the comparison.

By the way - Summoning's "Nightshade Forests" on Dol Guldur? Some Kraftwerk influence there...

And hey, this is just my opinion and obviously subjective. What do I know?! :D

@Russell: Let me know what you think of Elbow!

Well I think that you are right that Ulver is decidedly modern sounding, but if listen to some Kraftwerk it's obvious there is an influence, and they've been around since the 70s.

I think that the Depeche Mode influence is there as well, mostly the dark atmosphere but I think Garm learned a vocal technique or two from them also...

Listened to about half of Manes yesterday, quite impressive. Sounds like dirty electronica metal so far. I've been bombarded with new purchases this week so I have been unable to fully devour it just yet. :)

I'm really enjoying this CD now. Anybody get that last German bit translated yet? I can't find the text anywhere otherwise I would post it. Song title is Confluence. Cheers and a cold beer to anyone who does. :)