Manes 'Vilosophe' makes me urinate with glee!

npearce said:
Manes gets better with each listen. I only thought it was OK after my first listen. It has now become one of the best of 2003.

Amen to that. NAD's review got me revisiting the album, and the month or so gap since last hearing it has given me a whole new perspective on the sound.

You know, it's so easy to get caught up in the electronica, that I initially bypassed some of the other elements going on. For example, the immense emotion (in the singing in particular) where that repetition just builds and builds. I love the second track for that reason.

Thanks to npearce for recommending it, thanks to NAD for reviewing it. A very likely contender for best of 2003.

NAD said:
I'm really enjoying this CD now. Anybody get that last German bit translated yet? I can't find the text anywhere otherwise I would post it. Song title is Confluence. Cheers and a cold beer to anyone who does. :)

I'm surprised Heather missed this post NAD - she loves doing shit like that. I'll get her the CD for translation for us. I'd quite like to know myself....

...but you know what Confluence makes me think of? It's fucked up, but I imagine that this German guy is giving in to being possessed. Perhaps something similar to Father Karras in the Exorcist. And while he recounts his final moments, the possession starts to slowly take over...I mean, those parts at the end where the voice starts to morph and distort just fucks with my head. And then there's that final gunshot.....genius. :cool:

For that reason, I might not want to know the translation, heh. I remember when Haddsie was translating that Tool track from Aenima. Remember that one? It sounds like a Nazi rally from Nuremburg in the 40's but is actually a recipe for some kind of cake. :loco:

The German language is pretty scary. o_O

AND NO EGGS!!! I always loved how the climax that sounds like KILL ALL HUMANS!!! translates to that. :Spin:

It was a recipe for cookies, I remember a Tool show I went to shortly after ÆNIMA came out, they had that German guy come out dressed as a chef and sang that song. He tossed a bunch of eggs into the crowd afterwards.

Concerning Manes, dammit I read that the dude is reading from a text, but I forgot which. I didn't recognize the name either way.

The German language is HATEFUL. You say "pretty flower" and it comes out "I will rape your mother and then have a skull-keg party out of her dome." :loco:

Phew, I listened to that German bit once and I need to listen again 'cuz I'm so rusty, but I can tell you that it was pretty fucked up. It's hard to tell exactly what happens in the end (besides the gunshot) because the voice gets all distorted. I don't want to get this wrong, but it's basically about this guy talking about his wife and their problems (with sex) and then I guess he shoots her in the end.

NAD, can you find again the name of that text that the guy is reading from? I would be really interested to know that.

H.

Let me search the code666 forum, I think that's where I found it...

tidbit:
But there is also one small complain and that's the outro "Confluence" which is nothing more than a boring spoken passage from a German movie (spoken in german).

Hmm that's all I could find. I wonder where the hell I read that or if I'm just making it up...? :loco:

How stupid that someone would call that bit boring? I think it ends the album perfectly.

Did you know that the man is narrating the problems of shafting his wife because she bleeds too much each time he fucks her?

We should find the text. Maybe even write to the band or Michelle at code666.

JayKeeley said:
Did you know that the man is narrating the problems of shafting his wife because she bleeds too much each time he fucks her?
Wow. I always got the feeling it was fucked up (the ending is highly disturbing), but damn.

Nearly every single review I've read (including our fellow 'zine compadres Russell and Dreamlord :p ) says it's a stinker way to end the album, I think it's great. Fits the downright frightening vibe of the whole album, beginning with the bit on cannibalism in the beginning. Beginninginning. :D

One sucky thing, the damn glue came undone in mine so the CD plastic holder thingy has become separated, first time that's ever happened with a digipak to me. :Smug:

As far as I know it's a soundtrack from a film. "Der Todesking" or something. You should be able to find this information (by courtsey of ... ?) on the cover.

As everyone has so rightly said, the German piece was "about a mans’ relationship to his wife. It’s from a movie called "Der Todesking" – watch it if you haven’t already… Life and death and everything" - from Torstein himself :)

Plus "The screams under the break before the "no need to sleep…"-part of the 1st track is also "real", you know. Recorded from tv, I think – it’s the screams of some woman getting electro-shock treatment for her mental illness. When you know that, the screaming gets a little more disturbing… "

Eek!

:wave:

i just translated the whole bit, if anyone is still interested... here goes:

"I really do love my wife. But a few months ago, she suddenly started to bleed heavily everytime after we had done it together. I told her to see the doctor. But that didn’t help either. He said she was perfectly well, that idiot. Also, my wife often assured me that there was no need to worry about it. But one knows these things... everywhere they write that things like that have psychological reasons. And this can’t be quite normal, can it? We then thought about it a bit... bathed really carefully and so on, but everytime i thought that things were getting better, she began to bleed like a slaughtered pig again. I probably didn’t have enough time for her. Working six days a week, sometimes overtime, just for the good of the two of us. And, while at work, i would think about out problem all the time. Yet... i wasn’t able to contemplate it really deeply. My mind was nailed shut. (i didn’t get the next sentence, sorry). The whole thing seemed to bother my wife a lot less than me. Sometimes i forgot who of us was the sick one. And to all of that came her understanding manner: „no, it’s not your fault, no i’m not feeling sad, i like being with you“. I was getting fed up with that. It made me aggressive, then she wanted to calm me down which made me even more furious. I couldn’t bear this friendliness any longer, do you understand? I always responded to her in bed, too. I never just used her. So why was she punishing me like that? I thought: „something can’t be right“,
yesterday was our anniversary. And we wanted it to be especially beautiful. I took a day off, even though there’s so much work to do at the moment. But i wanted to spend this day with my wife, all alone. First we went to the museum, then we ate in an overpriced restaurant and after that we went to the cinema. I was somewhat distrustful, but my wife had been so happy all day long and when we went to bed i just knew: „this has got to be good“. It even seemed to work out well and i was really glad that everything was alright again. But suddenly, she began to cry, i didn’t even have to ask the reason why because i felt how it was getting wetter down there. And that was it. I let out all the hatred of the past months. Then i didn’t even care anymore. i took a (not audible), severed her head from her body, (not audible) and the whole shit was flowing out (not audible), she began to swell up (inaudible) and then she bursted."

Cheers again! I owe a bit of ale to this crowd...
bigdaddy.gif

My personal favorite summer beer. :kickass:

Nice avatar Shakermaker. :)

you're welcome :)

and yeah, my avatar was an obvious choice, clockwork orange being one of my favourite movies and kubrick being my favourite director :)

Been listening to MANES - Under Ein Bloodraud Maan and I have to say, I'm liking it a LOT. Should make an interesting review.

Anyone heard Ned I Stillheren or Maanens Nat? Are these demos or EP's? Just curious if they're worth the purchase...

I do , and it will sound as fresh in 2 years and more I dare say. The demos are good stuff too