Marshall Mode Four

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
So... I was wondering if you guys can give me some opinions on how it is?

I found a good deal on one. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger. Looks like an interesting amp.

Can I at the very least expect some Valvestate-y sounds out of it? I mean, I'm not expecting a Dual Rectifier, but I always thought VS's and AVT's make pretty decent budget amps, and this always seemed to me like an AVT on steroids...

Anyone got any clips?

Thanks. :)

I think the general consensus is that they sound like ass. Never tried one myself so that just hearsay.
You can find shit tons of pathetic sounding clips on youtube.
Their cabinet are awesome though.

Crap in what sense? As in solid-statey?

I actually just pulled the trigger, haha.

To my understanding, this was just a valve state with a bigger power section. I don't think I payed more for it that what a Valvestate sells for locally. We'll see how it does. I'll make sure some clips get posted. :)

Yeah... saw the pathetic clips on youtube, haha.

Just generally awful sounding imo, pretty fizzy. Venue I used to work in had them as house backline and I don't think I ever heard someone get a decent sound out of them unless they were using pedals/multifx in front of it. Maybe you'll have better luck with it though.

Listen to some Woods of Ypres. Mode 4 was the main amp on the majority of their albums.

I knew a dude who played one of these around town, I thought his tone was solid but he hated the amp. I bet you can dial in something badass though. Please do post some clips when you get to running it through its paces.

I was going to say what Lasse said... Alex Skolnick of Testament really likes them.

I tried one, and didn't care for it. I was looking more for a classic Marshall tone at the time, and these are a bit different.