Maryland Deathfest XI

Manilla Road?
Yet another pointless band.
Who the heck would want to see Manilla Road?????

LOL - Good to see some extremely deserving hard working bands getting more attention, esp here in the States.

They are certainly not for everyone.
I would love to see them.
I am still kicking myself for not seeing them on the tour they did many years ago with Enslaved and others who I can't recall.

I have Dopethrone. It's a good album. But yeah, they just did not bring it live. I seriously have had way more fun seeing The Sword. But they're too "mnstrm" for MDF and I get that.

I could definitely see EW being very odd live, depending on what they play.
I would still love to get the chance.

I really like the Sword. I seriously enjoy all three full lengths (And I think they have a new one on the way).

It seems the main issue is how known it is that these guys didn't come up metalheads and that bothers many.

It's about the tunes. If you like it, then like it......

It seems the main issue is how known it is that these guys didn't come up metalheads and that bothers many.

Ugh. God how I hate people who think this way. Who cares if that's not what they listened to growing up? As long as they're into the music they play NOW that's all that matters...and of course like you said if the tunes are good.

Yeah dude, I think The Sword are fucking great. They really came into their own on Warp Riders, too. And they are a lot of fun live.

I will admit to having a little narcotic enhancement while I watched Saint Vitus and Electric Wizard, so I was in a nice daze while both bands played, and I enjoyed both sets. Since I enjoyed it in my "impaired" mental state, I'm not so sure what there is to criticize.

I like slow bands. I'm always bewildered when slow, morose bands (even ones like Katatonia, Paradise Lost, or Swallow the Sun) are referred to as "boring". They're playing their style in the mood and tone it was meant to be played in. I've seen a number of doom metal bands play long sets without ever once addressing the crowd. I still enjoyed it! This includes some funeral doom - like Mournful Congregation. It's not boring, it fits the style. Do you really expect Electric Wizard to tell the crowd to "jumpdafuckup" or some shit?

I like slow bands. I'm always bewildered when slow, morose bands (even ones like Katatonia, Paradise Lost, or Swallow the Sun) are referred to as "boring". They're playing their style in the mood and tone it was meant to be played in. I've seen a number of doom metal bands play long sets without ever once addressing the crowd. I still enjoyed it! This includes some funeral doom - like Mournful Congregation. It's not boring, it fits the style. Do you really expect Electric Wizard to tell the crowd to "jumpdafuckup" or some shit?

Afuckingmen! Couldn't agree any more. To me, a great live band is a band that plays their material flawlessly in their respective style.

Ugh. God how I hate people who think this way. Who cares if that's not what they listened to growing up? As long as they're into the music they play NOW that's all that matters...and of course like you said if the tunes are good.

I totally agree. Hell, I was too sheltered to grow up with metal.. I had to learn about it later! I'm sure there are plenty of others like me. It doesn't make our love any less genuine.

The only thing that bothers me about people who got into metal later are the bands that started out in one genre, but then in the wake of metal's popularity, re-marketed themselves as metal bands. Though this is just as much the fault of the labels (IE - Victory Records) as it is the band.

I mean if there was never Ozzfest and Warped Tour continued to actually mean something, no one on this forum would even know who Shadows Fall or Killswitch Engage are.

The only thing that bothers me about people who got into metal later are the bands that started out in one genre, but then in the wake of metal's popularity, re-marketed themselves as metal bands. Though this is just as much the fault of the labels (IE - Victory Records) as it is the band.

I mean if there was never Ozzfest and Warped Tour continued to actually mean something, no one on this forum would even know who Shadows Fall or Killswitch Engage are.

This is true, but I'm probably too young to know about bands who marketed themselves as metal because metal was popular.. >_> In my experience, metal hasn't been popular since I was a little kid.

Though an ex-bandmate totally wanted to re-market the band as "hard rock" because Metallica did it. e_e

Let's face facts here Jason. Saying metal is popular again I think is a bit of a stretch. If these bands wanted to get popular, they would choose more of a mainstream rock sound than metal. Just saying...

As for bands changing sound, I think it depends on the band. Bands change sounds due to different circumstances. Some get sick of playing a certain style, others do it to progress their sound and yeah, there those that do it for a financial reason.

I totally agree. Hell, I was too sheltered to grow up with metal.. I had to learn about it later! I'm sure there are plenty of others like me. It doesn't make our love any less genuine.

You're not. I more or less had the same childhood. Hell, I didn't even really listen to ANY music until I was 17.

REPULSION
PAGAN ALTAR (UK) - Exclusive US show!
BROKEN HOPE
PIG DESTROYER
VINTERLAND (Sweden) - Exclusive US show!
WEEDEATER
GRIDE (Czech Republic)
LOSS

HOLY SHIT YES! PAGAN FUCKING ALTAR! They were among the top bands I was disappointed couldn't make it to Rites of Darkness. Loss included! If the MDF guys can scoop up even more of those bands, I'd be stoked! C'mon Root, Behexen, Evoken, and Stargazer!

They're also seriously handpicking like the best Czech death/grind bands. All we need now is a Lykathea Aflame reunion to come through and it'll be pure Czech perfection.

Gotta say I'm really glad this fest is taking in a lot of doom bands.

Wanna go?

Also, per the previous conversation, I should have clarified the time line.
I did state this was in the wake of OZZFEST which should have led you to know I wasnt talking about 2012 here. I am speaking late 90s into the next century.