Mathmetal... Any advices?

~Neurotica

perfectly insane
Mar 27, 2006
I'm interested in mathematic metal... And as I can see - ppl here have pretty wide spectrum of fave bands. So maybe you could advice me some stuff with mathmetal to listen?..
Thanks

Dr. Ugs said:
what exactly defines math metal?

cause its first time i hear that.

oh well... its when the rythm is not standart... It comes from instruments - bass, drums, guitar... When music sounds broken... And you cant foresee or gueess when the next hit of drum, or guitar part will be... The set of notes is different. Not usual like - 4/4...8...16....32...
for example - Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan, Uncrossed (russian band)...

Meshuggah's music is some of the most easy to play.

...Anyways on math metal. Math metal is when everyone in the band stops right during a riff, one of the band members shouts out a math problem, another member yells the answer, and right after the band goes back into a riff at the exact same time. It's so technical I could barley explain it.

The Greys said:
...Anyways on math metal. Math metal is when everyone in the band stops right during a riff, one of the band members shouts out a math problem, another member yells the answer, and right after the band goes back into a riff at the exact same time. It's so technical I could barley explain it.
eum.. I doubt it

The Greys said:
Meshuggah's music is some of the most easy to play.

Well maybe technically its not that difficult (if not to count that not every musiciant can play like them), but creation of their stuff needs gold brains...

Black Core said:
? :confused: I totally know the next drumhit or guitarstring of their songs, but maybe thats cuz I listen to them so often

1. it was said figuratively =)
2. Usually it works when you listen at first...
Besides Pantera is MM, but not totally... I like em very much.

~Neurotica said:
Well maybe technically its not that difficult (if not to count that not every musiciant can play like them), but creation of their stuff needs gold brains...

You don't need gold brains to chug one note with mutes inbetween the same note.

I remember discussing this here already. end

tool, you already listed most of the others I know. Mushuggah guy's side progect sol niger within. Some King Crimson qualifies as metal, and they are math rock junkies, so you get some metal, not to mention just plain great music. Try the album thrack, or if you are old school, try red.

I know that mudvayne is math metal, but I don't know what I think of them yet, whether or not to reccommend them or not. I know I am forgetting something really obvious, sorry.

Math metal to me isn't that it isn't predictable. Meshuggah all adds up to 4/4, eventually. You can hear haake tapping quarter notes on the cymbol. the riffs take off on something like 23/8 for a while, hit some fit peice measure like 14/8 to put it in sync to add up to 6 measures or something of 4/4, and then go again. Math metal is just not in common time, and usually involves math a little, like adding 23/8x5+14/8*1 = 128/8 = 64/4 = 16 measures of 4/4. Now, it gets even more complicated then that. I just demonstrated what meshuggah sort of does. Tool is math metal because of patterns. For example, they base the song lateralus on the fibbonacci sequence. King Crimson plays in polyrythmics. For example, they have one guitar playing in 13/8 and one in 12/8, in 1/8=beat (not the dotted 1/4 note gets a beat, which is just a varient based on really fast beats, like cut time), so it seems like the guitar is off, and then on, and then off, ect. There are many takes on math metal, I hope this helps a little.

TylerTheNuke said:
tool, you already listed most of the others I know. Mushuggah guy's side progect sol niger within. Some King Crimson qualifies as metal, and they are math rock junkies, so you get some metal, not to mention just plain great music. Try the album thrack, or if you are old school, try red.

I know that mudvayne is math metal, but I don't know what I think of them yet, whether or not to reccommend them or not. I know I am forgetting something really obvious, sorry.

Math metal to me isn't that it isn't predictable. Meshuggah all adds up to 4/4, eventually. You can hear haake tapping quarter notes on the cymbol. the riffs take off on something like 23/8 for a while, hit some fit peice measure like 14/8 to put it in sync to add up to 6 measures or something of 4/4, and then go again. Math metal is just not in common time, and usually involves math a little, like adding 23/8x5+14/8*1 = 128/8 = 64/4 = 16 measures of 4/4. Now, it gets even more complicated then that. I just demonstrated what meshuggah sort of does. Tool is math metal because of patterns. For example, they base the song lateralus on the fibbonacci sequence. King Crimson plays in polyrythmics. For example, they have one guitar playing in 13/8 and one in 12/8, in 1/8=beat (not the dotted 1/4 note gets a beat, which is just a varient based on really fast beats, like cut time), so it seems like the guitar is off, and then on, and then off, ect. There are many takes on math metal, I hope this helps a little.

Yeah, I'll try to find that band - King Crimson. About Mudvayne - they have pretty many elements of mm, but not totally again... And damn, I just love them...
It will make you laugh but even System Of A Down has those mm parts in their music (mostly in drumming). Tool - I really heard that their music is not ordinary in technical aspect, but I never thought its mm. I guess I'll listen to them more attentive...
Meshuggah. I guess Haake is crazy. And I'll say again that I think, their music takes pretty much to think about. Damn, even to remember riffs without notes will take a month I guess lol...
Yes, its helped. Thank you very much.

Some bands of interest:

Theory In Practice
Behold... The Arctopus
Martyr
Spastic Ink
Goreguts
The Number 12 Looks Like You

before people shit on me, not all these are totally "math metal", but if you like the idea of rhythmic complexity and unpredictability, you may like these bands.

Mumblefood said:
Some bands of interest:

Theory In Practice
Behold... The Arctopus
Martyr
Spastic Ink
Goreguts
The Number 12 Looks Like You

before people shit on me, not all these are totally "math metal", but if you like the idea of rhythmic complexity and unpredictability, you may like these bands.

I'll try em, thank you

The Greys said:
You don't need gold brains to chug one note with mutes inbetween the same note.

I remember discussing this here already. end

I have a feeling I've argued with you about this before... but go learn "I" all the way through and tell me how easy it was to play... and I mean play it right.