MATT BARLOW RETIRES FROM ICED EARTH

I hate to say this, and people are gonna flame me for it, but this band has become a joke over the last few years. It hurts to say it, but it's true.

come-at-me-bro.jpg

I hate to say this, and people are gonna flame me for it, but this band has become a joke over the last few years. It hurts to say it, but it's true.

come-at-me-bro.jpg

I totally agree with you. I have lost interest in them about 5 years ago. I had zero interest in seeing them live ever again or buying a CD after the last few were so mediocre.

Color me totally unsurprised. That doesn't mean I like it, but let's face it - IE's basically in its death spiral, anyway.

I actually *am* kinda surprised, because, like you, I thought IE was in its death-spiral. Not creatively, but I just figured Jon was heading towards laying that entity to rest. After all, the whole concept of bringing Barlow back in the first place was dependent on the idea that they would no longer be doing extensive touring. That's why they would be able to take on a guy committed to a full-time job. So it's a surprise to hear that things have changed and that Jon wants to increase touring again.

I'm just sad that I only got a chance to see Iced Earth 23 times with Barlow. :Spin:

(oh, and what was with the attack of the street-team at the start of this thread?)

Neil

I gave up on this band years ago, and am not remotely surprised by this news, but it's still kind of sad. It really isn't Iced Earth without Matt Barlow.

And according to the unofficial replacement metaller rules, isn't it Wade Black's turn next? Or does Jeff Scott Soto get a week or two in there first?

Color me totally unsurprised. That doesn't mean I like it, but let's face it - IE's basically in its death spiral, anyway.

This.

I thought the second coming of IC with Barlow was kind of a limited act, where Jon and IC would do an album every now and then and a small tour here and there. I didn't think they were so serious.

Anyways....I think it's time for IC to bow out before they tarnish their legacy even further...

I am sad now:(:(:(

But you have to do what you have to do. Hopefully he will still do some studio work. The release said him and Jon were not done working together. Maybe they have something already in the works, or maybe another band will ask him to just do the studio vocals like Prymaze did. I know some people may not agree but Matt Barlow is one of if not the greatest metal vocalist of how time.

pick for new Iced Earth singing the guy from Mercenary that isnt with them anymore.

Well, this certainly blows. Sure, it wasn't that hard to see it happen, but that still doesn't make it not suck. Thankfully, I got to see them at PP with Barlow. The only time I'd seen them before that was at the HoB in NO with Ripper, which wasn't bad, but I'm a Barlow devotee.

It should be interesting to see who comes in now.

Good luck to Matt Barlow. I'd have made the same choice in his position. I hope all goes well, both for him and for the band.

I think everybody should wait to see what the band does this year. Jon is in the studio now feeling more energized and focused than he has in a long time. He vows a kick-ass album is in the works. I realize my opinion is biased. But I'm excited about what's going down in the studio. I haven't heard Jon with this much spirit and resolve to prove the naysayers wrong in a very long time. Give the guy a chance. Even if you haven't liked the last few albums, try the new one and see what you think. See the band on tour this fall with the new singer. You may be surprised.

I think you guys should wait and see what happens before deciding Iced Earth is dying. Jon Schaffer has too much integrity to hire anyone who can't live up to the Iced Earth name. Give the forthcoming album a chance before dismissing the band.

I think you guys should wait and see what happens before deciding Iced Earth is dying. Jon Schaffer has too much integrity to hire anyone who can't live up to the Iced Earth name. Give the forthcoming album a chance before dismissing the band.

This. I don't think Iced Earth has put out a weak album yet, and that includes Something Wicked Pt. 2 (which, in fairness, did take me a while to get into). Jon is a perfectionist, and has always did what he thought was best for Iced Earth and best for the fans. I think a lot of people just bitch, for the sake of bitching. There was plenty of Barlow worshiping going on when Tim was in the band, and then it seems that the very same people were going absolutely apeshit that Jon fired Tim to get Barlow back, because they suddenly became Ripper worshipers. What happened? Barlow leaves again and this is now the death of the band? People said the same thing when he left the first time, and that was hardly the case. The Glorious Burden was awesome, Something Wicked 1 was awesome, and Something Wicked 2 was great. I eagerly await what Jon has in store for the band now.

I think everybody should wait to see what the band does this year. Jon is in the studio now feeling more energized and focused than he has in a long time. He vows a kick-ass album is in the works. I realize my opinion is biased. But I'm excited about what's going down in the studio. I haven't heard Jon with this much spirit and resolve to prove the naysayers wrong in a very long time. Give the guy a chance. Even if you haven't liked the last few albums, try the new one and see what you think. See the band on tour this fall with the new singer. You may be surprised.

So hey, out of curiosity, don't even know if you can announce it or not, but will Matt be on this album, or will the new guy?

This. I don't think Iced Earth has put out a weak album yet, and that includes Something Wicked Pt. 2 (which, in fairness, did take me a while to get into). Jon is a perfectionist, and has always did what he thought was best for Iced Earth and best for the fans. I think a lot of people just bitch, for the sake of bitching. There was plenty of Barlow worshiping going on when Tim was in the band, and then it seems that the very same people were going absolutely apeshit that Jon fired Tim to get Barlow back, because they suddenly became Ripper worshipers. What happened? Barlow leaves again and this is now the death of the band? People said the same thing when he left the first time, and that was hardly the case. The Glorious Burden was awesome, Something Wicked 1 was awesome, and Something Wicked 2 was great. I eagerly await what Jon has in store for the band now.

We AGREE! :headbang:

Well, yeah it's your job :lol:

The chance I'll give is what I always do anyway. Buy the album and then listen to it.