Melodic Death Metal Masterpieces

What song is the ultimate melodic death metal masterpiece out of these two?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NocturnalSun

The Dark Wanderer
Which song out of these two songs would you call the 'ultimate melodic death metal masterpiece?' The artists are Dark Tranquillity and In Flames because they are the 2 most known melodic death metal bands and are probably the most polar of the genre. You either love them or hate them bitterly. So what will you choose?

Both songs are unfamiliar to me. But I´m getting into melodic death metal
right now. Could you please tell me on which records I´ll find these two songs? Thanks!

but nonetheless, I put those songs up there because they are masterpieces of melodic death. There may be (in other people's opinions of course) better songs of theirs, but I'm grading simply on the feel of the songs and the degree of epic they rise to.

Moshpit said:
Could you please tell me on which records I´ll find these two songs? Thanks!
The DT song slips my mind, but December Flower is on The Jester Race.

Anyway, I voted December Flower. Why? Because Dark Tranquility are massively overrated. Not a bad band, just not nearly as good as people make them out to be.

NocturnalSun said:
yea, I was thinking Moonshield, but that would be the sucker vote just because EVERYONE knows and loves that song. I picked these two up there because they're not among their top songs, but still masterpieces.

btw the poll goes on till Xmas
heh.... i said that because Moonshield is one of my least favorite IF songs. Of course everyone loves it.

I voted for December Flower, for I think it has alot more work getting an established melody and motive incorporated into the song, and the main riff is simply cooler ;). However, this was a tough choice for me because Insanity's Crescendo is one of my favorite songs, especially because of the female vocalist (I'm a sucker for good female vocalists, especially in metal), and the very solid V to I end.