Metal 2014

So everyone, what's your album of the year?

I want to say Behemoth because I think Satanist is special (the EP is excellent too) but I have to go with Dead Congregation because I can't stop listening to it.

Worthy of it's own thread, Jimmy...go for it. I'm too lazy.

For me, for pure songwriting prowess, the album of the year is Casualties of Cool by about 100 miles. It's not a heavy metal release, though.

For extreme metal, I'd have to say something like the new At the Gates or the new Decapitated (it gets shit on here but I fucking love it) or DC...brutal album. CC's new one is great. The new Nero Di Marte is good/interesting, too. More mainstream but the new Insomnium is great as well, though a slight letdown compared to their previous two.

For melodic/hard rock - Devin Townsend Band - Sky Blue. Just a fun album to listen to. So chill and relaxing. As usual great tunes, and Anneka sounds killer. Sort of a depressing album in it's own way.

For prog - By far the new Nightingale. A true masterpiece. Close second is the new Anubis Gate...fantastic record.

I didn't get around to much black metal this year but from what I have heard, I like the new Enthroned the best. Different from their older stuff but it's good. I couldn't get into the less mainstream stuff this year like the new Mayhem or Sargeist.

Honorable mentions: Sanctuary, Threshold, November's Doom

Exmortus - Slave to the Sword

without a doubt!

Yeah this topic definitely deserves its own thread, and probably lists of albums not just 1.

Yeah. I agree.

If I had to pick one it would either be Exmortus - Slave to the Sword Or At The Gates - At War With Reality. That album is so fucking epic from start to finish.