Metal 2016

Their first two albums shit on everything they did since.

While their first two albums are excellent (Johann De Farfalla was one of my favorite bassists and he was on there), I wouldn't say that's true. Still Life, Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, and Damnation are all fantastic albums.

As for Sorceress, I'll have to wait for the full album to get my opinion. Mikael's vocals on this one are a bit odd in comparison to Heritage and Pale Communion so that might take getting used to. I'm interested in the doom and sludge influences on this though. Could make for a more distinctive album.

You must be deaf. It's heavier than their two previous albums and I really like the guitar. Lack of growls is compensated with nice clean vox.

Ya I've seen this description being used all over the place. It's almost like the first reviewer to hear the song said "wow, new Opeth is heavy" and then everyone just took that and ran with it. I don't hear any heaviness at all. Vader is heavy. Sulphur Aeon is heavy. 70's infused geeky Opeth prog rock isn't heavy. The clean vocals have always been great with this band, but let's not kid ourselves - this is not the Opeth that we all know. But of course, if you enjoy it, good for you.

I don't enjoy it as I do Still Life but it's not reasonable to dismiss the band cause they don't play the stuff they used to anymore. I didn't accept Heritage, but I do accept PC and the newest single.

The problem with Morningrise is that some tracks could have ended a few minutes sooner, especially Black Rose Immortal. There's a point where it could have ended perfectly and kept going for another 5 minutes.

I've got a pile of Opeth albums buried deep in my collection. You guys are making me consider brushing them off.

I've got a pile of Opeth albums buried deep in my collection. You guys are making me consider brushing them off.

I'd encourage you to give them a chance. Their discography is pretty great and it would be a shame if you missed out on something you might like due to to "controversy". Believe me, I walked that road before.

The problem with Morningrise is that some tracks could have ended a few minutes sooner, especially Black Rose Immortal. There's a point where it could have ended perfectly and kept going for another 5 minutes.

I definitely agree with this, there's a point like 13 minutes into Black Rose Immortal where he whispers the name of the track and it should have ended there, rather than meandering about for another 5 minutes. It's still my favourite Opeth record, despite being a compositional mess because I enjoy the general sound of it much more than what they did after. The folky accoustic sections especially I much prefer to what they were doing on later works.

Ya I've seen this description being used all over the place. It's almost like the first reviewer to hear the song said "wow, new Opeth is heavy" and then everyone just took that and ran with it. I don't hear any heaviness at all. Vader is heavy. Sulphur Aeon is heavy. 70's infused geeky Opeth prog rock isn't heavy. The clean vocals have always been great with this band, but let's not kid ourselves - this is not the Opeth that we all know. But of course, if you enjoy it, good for you.

Vader heavy? Pshaw. Last Days of Humanity are heavy.

I think what people are referring to when they describe the new track as heavy is the change in guitar tone compared to the last two albums. Listen to Sorceress and The Devil's Orchard back to back and you'll see what I mean.

MESHUGGAH: 'The Violent Sleep Of Reason' Album Details Revealed

meshuggahviolentcd.jpg

Vader heavy? Pshaw. Last Days of Humanity are heavy.

I think what people are referring to when they describe the new track as heavy is the change in guitar tone compared to the last two albums. Listen to Sorceress and The Devil's Orchard back to back and you'll see what I mean.
Are you actually implying Vader isn't heavy or that a shitty goregrind band with toilet flush vocals is heavier than them?

No, I was just pointing out that saying X isn't heavy because Y is heavier is pretty stupid. Last Days of Humanity is heavier in my opinion, but they also suck.
How the fuck? Have you listened to Impressions in Blood? There's nothing heavy about toilet flush vocals and completely inaudible instruments. Vader hits harder than almost any band out there.

Depends on your definition of heavy I guess; I tend to just think of heaviness as being an indication of how "extreme" a band is, it doesn't necessarily connote quality. I'm not really a Vader fan tbh, but obviously they're better than LDoH. LDoH just represents for me the point at which music becomes so extreme that it actually is unlistenable, which is why they spring to mind if I'm trying to outheavy someone.

I think we have completely different definitions of heavy then. Heavy is what makes me headbang not what sounds the shittiest.