Metal 2016

Just listened to the new Meshuggah album.

I have to say I quite like it. It's still not as good as their early material, but that era is long gone now. This is definitely an improvement on Koloss which I think is one of their weakest albums. I have to disagree with QTH saying that the groove is gone. I'd say this is 3x groovier than Koloss was! Did we listen to the same album? The cringe-named track "Our Rage Won't Die" may just be the grooviest shit they've ever written. "By The Ton" and "MonstroCity" too. On that note, did they hire Wayne Static to name these fucking tracks?

It's definitely an evolution of their sound, but there are still tons of sprinkles of all the albums from Chaosphere and up. Definitely gonna give it a few more spins.

The only album I really like that much is ObZen. With tracks like Combustion, This Spiteful Snake, the title track, and Dancers to a Discordant System, it really is their pinnacle in my opinion.

Reactions: nizzon
On that note, did they hire Wayne Static to name these fucking tracks?.
Considering he's dead, I'd say probably not.

I haven't listened to the new Meshuggah yet because I've really stopped caring about them. I'll get to it at some point. Looking forward to the new Car Bomb album much more.

This just came out yesterday, psychedelic Middle Eastern drone/prog is how they describe themselves, from Sydney. Really well done.

Reactions: Carpe Mortem
Top albums so far this year? I know we're less than 2 months from the EOY lists, so mine may change since I ordered a few more for this year, but:

Abnormality
Meshuggah
Opeth
Devin Townsend Project
Megadeth
Metal Church
Obscura

Testament will probably be in the top as well

I would have to look to make a list but new Eternal Champion and Ghoul are top tier stuff. Just got my EC album yesterday but I've played it five times or so and it's just so fucking good.

Top albums so far this year? I know we're less than 2 months from the EOY lists, so mine may change since I ordered a few more for this year, but:

Abnormality
Meshuggah
Opeth
Devin Townsend Project
Megadeth
Metal Church
Obscura

Testament will probably be in the top as well

Vektor
Cult of Luna
NAILS
Ihsahn