Metal covers of pop and other songs

urinalcakemix said:
I liked that cover. Its absolutely hilarious. I highly reccomend it

*Runs and hides*

COB's cover of "Talk Dirty to Me" also made me laugh my ass off. Sorry kids, Poison is pure pop music.

Also Demons and Wizards have done a shitload of covers live, aside from the allready mentioned "White Room" :

"Hell's Bells" by ACDC
"The Trooper" by Iron Maiden
and "School's Out" by Alice Cooper.

The ACDC cover on the Fiddler in Paris bootlege makes the hair on the back of my neck stand when Hansi screams on it.:kickass:

Soul of Ice said:
Can't...resist...being slightly off topic...
Edge of Sanity - Blood of My Enemies (Manowar!)

Yeah I didn't mention this one because I assumed we were straying away from metal covers (if we did metal covers, this list would just go on forever...).

I think the EoS cover of Blood Of My Enemies is far superior to the original. It's fucking awesome.

Best cover of any band covering any band, at least IMO, was Dream Theater covering "Cemetary Gates" in Dallas @ Gigantour last year. Anybody else witness that?

biggs0072000 said:
Sorry kids, Poison is pure pop music.

Drop the whole metal attitude. There's lots of good stuff in pop music.

What made me laugh my ass off was the "Poison playing pop music" comment. LOL

ragingsaxmachine said:
Best cover of any band covering any band, at least IMO, was Dream Theater covering "Cemetary Gates" in Dallas @ Gigantour last year. Anybody else witness that?

If you like Pantera, I guess that would've been good. I would've been groaning myself. However, seeing a band I don't care for much doing a cover of a band I really don't care for...well....thats a horrible mix of things.

Iron Maiden - That Girl (FM)

This was odd because this cover (which was on the Stranger In A Strange Land single) was done soon after the original.

Magius said:
Firewind covers the Scorpions "Pictured Life." One of the very few metal to metal covers I like better than the original.

:p

Speaking of Firewind and Scorps, Avalon (with Chity Lanka) did a pretty wicked cover of The Scorpions Alien Nation.

Vanden Plas does do great covers.

Dummy Burger does a pretty cool cover of Accept's "Metal Heart." I normally hate Accept covers. Udo has such a unique delivery, most Accept covers sound bad. The death growls actually sound pretty good for that song.

Bryant

AngraRULES said:
Drop the whole metal attitude. There's lots of good stuff in pop music.

What made me laugh my ass off was the "Poison playing pop music" comment. LOL

Tis all good sir. :kickass:

Just wanted to avoid getting cited for straying too far off topic.

Edguy - Hymn (Ultravox)
Freedom Call - Dancing With Tears in my eyes (Ultravox)

...and for non-metal bands covering metal toons, how about:

Tori Amos - Raining Blood (Slayer)
Lucy Silvas(?) - Nothing Else Matters (Metallica)

Vanden Plas doing Georgia On My Mind...who would've thought?

Riot always cranked out good covers...Burn, A Whiter Shade Of Pale, Out In The Fields...

Up above someone mentioned Nevermore's Silent Hedges...believe that was a Bauhaus cover, right?

Rock on!

biggs0072000 said:
COB's cover of "Talk Dirty to Me" also made me laugh my ass off. Sorry kids, Poison is pure pop music.

This is the only Bodom cover I've yet to hear (besides their rare Sentenced covers that they only did live as a young band in Finland). Is it any good?

Angra--Genesis: "Mama"
Wonderland--Lionel Richie: "Hello"
Star One--David Bowie: "Space Oddity
Poverty's No Crime--Rush: "Distant Early Warning"
Lana Lane--Kansas: "The Wall"
Gamma Ray--Pet Shop Boys: "It's a Sin"

Soul of Ice said:
Forbidden - 21st Century Schizoid Man (King Crimson)
Also covered by Voivod.
Metal Church - Highway Star (Uriah Heep)
Didn´t know Bloackmore, Gillan, Lord, Paice and Glover were members of Uriah Heep when they wrote this song.

A few more:
Liege Lord - "Kill The King" (Rainbow)
Dark Angel - "Immigrant Song" (Led Zeppelin)
Voivod - "The Nile Song" (Pink Floyd)
Chastain - "Barracuda" (Heart) (also covered by Meanstreak)
Within Temptation - "Running Up That Hill" (Kate Bush)