metal masterpieces (songs only)

worldwide_suicide said:
no, i'm not.

How is it not? it's the pinnacle of what metallica was famous for. If you're going to say Metallica weren't that good then... then... i don't know. I just think it's insane not to give metallica the credit they are due. Who the fuck cares about their post-80's material, or how popular they got. If somehow they remained one of the undiscovered bands of the era, people would fucking DIE when they heard Master Of Puppets, i have not an ounce of doubt about that. People get funny about popular bands though.

Opeth - Blackwater Park - The Amen Corner - The Night And The Silent Water
Emperor - Ye Entrancemperium
Cryptopsy - Crown Of Horns - Phobophile - Benedictine Convulsions
Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked
Swallow The Sun - The Ship
Bloodbath - Cry My Name

Mumblefood said:
Metallica - Master Of Puppets.

I listened to this earlier today and it is indeed a good song, its just not one of metal's best imo. Definately Metallica's best though.

Splintered Vision said:
Opeth - Blackwater Park - The Amen Corner - The Night And The Silent Water
Emperor - Ye Entrancemperium
Cryptopsy - Crown Of Horns - Phobophile - Benedictine Convulsions
Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked
Swallow The Sun - The Ship
Bloodbath - Cry My Name

I listened to this earlier today and it is indeed a good song, its just not one of metal's best imo. Definately Metallica's best though.

let me get this straight.

bloodbath? swallow the sun? nile? and cryptopsy make the cut. but metallica's master of puppets isnt a masterpiece in your eyes?

and some people continue to ask me why im so insensed and arbitrary on this forum....:zombie: :cry: :erk: o_O

NineFeetUnderground said:
let me get this straight.

bloodbath? swallow the sun? nile? and cryptopsy make the cut. but metallica's master of puppets isnt a masterpiece in your eyes?

and some people continue to ask me why im so insensed and arbitrary on this forum....:zombie: :cry: :erk: o_O
agreeing with you here... :rolleyes:

Mumblefood said:
How is it not? it's the pinnacle of what metallica was famous for. If you're going to say Metallica weren't that good then... then... i don't know. I just think it's insane not to give metallica the credit they are due. Who the fuck cares about their post-80's material, or how popular they got. If somehow they remained one of the undiscovered bands of the era, people would fucking DIE when they heard Master Of Puppets, i have not an ounce of doubt about that. People get funny about popular bands though.

It's just kind of boring.

Maybe it's just boring to you because you've heard it so many times. It's good but it gets old oddly fast... But If it is a masterpiece then, well, every Opeth song is better... I mean, you'd rather listen to any Opeth song over MOP right?

Here's my dirty dozen

Metallica - One - They have many, but this was my 1st introduction to metal. This is & always will be the 1st song I think of, when this topic comes up.

Opeth - Deliverance

Alice in Chains - Rooster

Pantera - This Love

Fear Factory - Descent

Korn - Blind

Led Zeppelin - Dazed & Confused

Nevermore - Final Product

Prong- Rude Awakening

Black Sabbath - Snowblind

Tool - Sober

Type O Negative - Christian Woman

Opeth - Too many to mention... really!
Metallica - Master of Puppets, Fade To Black, One, Orion
Queensryche - Suite Sister Mary

Damn, just too many to mention overall.. Not gonna write all that shit...

Halbu said:
Maybe it's just boring to you because you've heard it so many times. It's good but it gets old oddly fast... But If it is a masterpiece then, well, every Opeth song is better... I mean, you'd rather listen to any Opeth song over MOP right?

No. I think people are forgetting something about "era"... none of us (sans maybe MMCPA) were THERE in the mid 80's when this shit was comming out. But i've done my research on 80's metal, and while there is a lot of good stuff, there is NOTHING even close to being in the same realm of Metallica. NO thrash bands were doing what they were. Metallica had this flair for writing extremely melodic songs while still being very thrashy, and also having the gift of being able to write in a somewhat progressive fashion. Ever notice how nearly ALL other thrash bands write shorter songs? or how Metallica had a knack for really nailing song structure and flow consistently for songs topping the 8 minute mark? In many respects, they were the Opeth of the 80's. Sure, Testament might've been faster, and pretty melodic... but the songs never went anywhere, and they NEVER pulled off anything with an extended song, and never had anything like say the middle section of MoP. There was Heathen who was trying to do the whole "long thrash song" thing sometimes, but they were not even close to as good at it as Metallica.

I have some older friends who were actually metalheads in the mid 80's, and they all say people were SHITTING A BRICK over metallica. It's easy for me to see why when i look at other metal bands of the era... metallica really does stand alone in their own little realm in the thrash world, by being much more talented in the songwriting department, and really knowing how to write memorable songs.

I also find it laughable that someone would say it gets old "oddly fast"... is that a fucking JOKE? if it got old fast, WHY THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE STILL TALKING ABOUT THEIR 80'S OUTPUT? Metallica was my first metal band when i was 11. I'm almost 23 now, and i can STILL put on AJFA or MOP and really enjoy it. Same can't be said for some of the other bands i was into in my early teens.

It's very trendy to bash metallica, obviously. I think it's gone too far though when punk kids of 15 who just heard metal for the first time 2 years ago don't even have the decency to respect the influence Metallica had and since they saw the guys who showed them some cool metal bands bashing metallica they feel dumb and insecure for not bashing them.

You know this same thing is happening with Opeth now, right? Opeth is a very popular metal band, and people are now starting to bash them for being an "entry level" metal band. I don't know what it is about metal, but most metalheads feel the need to bash the popular bands of the genre once they start digging deeper. Sometimes it's warranted (Children Of Bodom, Cradle Of Filth, etc.), but in the case of Opeth and Metallica, it is NOT. I used to be guilty of this too. I even went through a phase when i started listening to swedish metal about 7 years ago when i would bash metallica at ever oppourtunity just to show how "cool" i was for having found some pretty good lesser known bands. It took 2 years for me to realize i was being a fucking douche and only saying it so i could be like "oh yeah? i know more than you about metal" when the topic came up.

ok my rant is done. let the bashing commense.

Mumblefood said:
No. I think people are forgetting something about "era"... none of us (sans maybe MMCPA) were THERE in the mid 80's when this shit was comming out.

Thanks Mumble :)

I was 10 when Led Zeppelin (I've always considered them the 1st metal band, but that's just my opinion) arrived on the scene. I've followed music since then, listening to bands come and go.

In the world of metal, there are very few bands that stand the test of time.

From the 70's (late 60's), I feel only two metal bands music can still measure up today - Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. I never really liked Black Sabbath, but I cannot deny what they've meant to metal. But it was the 80's when metal REALLY became metal. Adn with all the speed/thrash metal, Metallica far and away owns all. Exodus, Anthrax, Testament - they had good music, but not even close to Metallica. Who knows what they thought when the Black album was release, but they are the only metal band of that "era" I know who stepped truly into the big league. After that, metal music has for the most part stayed hidden from popular view, and only us who seek it out listen to it.