metal masterpieces (songs only)

MetalManCPA said:
Testament was viewed upon as a follower, whether you believe that to be true or not.

To go in that direction, Metallica were followers of Dave Mustaine, as well as the entire NWOBHM.

To Pate and Vegetaman - again, at least I think this discussion does have to do with perception. Perception makes a masterpiece as much as a person's individual taste does. I am not a Pink Floyd fan, yet in the music world Dark Side of The Moon will forever be a masterpiece whether I agree with that or not.

And although Black Sabbath may have kicked ass in the 80's, they were not palying the newere/harder styles of MEtallica/Slayer/etc. I liked Testament quite a bit - Over the Wall being my favorite song (and I remember showing my Grandmother the video from Headbangers Ball).

You can still disagree with DSOTM being a masterpiece and not consider it a masterpiece.

Don't resort to the "At least I..." style of debating.

At least I have an arguement!

Pate said:
You can still disagree with DSOTM being a masterpiece and not consider it a masterpiece.

Don't resort to the "At least I..." style of debating.

Here's where I don't agree with you.

Whether I like a particular artist, or an album, or a song, doesn't mean it isn't a masterpiece.

The Mona Lisa is considered a masterpiece worldwide for the ages. Yet to me it's just a woman posing - nothing special. Yet I will not deny in the world of art it's importance.

I never liked Pink Floyd, yet I will not deny the importance of DSOTM to music in general.

You arguments are personal in nature, whereas mine is more of an understanding of the bigger picture. My personal like/dislike for something does not diminish it's importance to the masses.

The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Aerosmith, Elvis Presley (to name a few0 - artists that should rightfully be considered "hall of fame" material are bands I found to be OK but not special. But without them the landscape of music would probably be much different.

mas·ter·piece
Pronunciation: 'mas-t&r-"pEs
Function: noun
1 : a work done with extraordinary skill; especially : a supreme intellectual or artistic achievement

2 : a piece of work presented to a medieval guild as evidence of qualification for the rank of master

Opeth: When, Demon Of The Fall and Deliverance
Emperor: With Strength I Burn and Ye Entrancemperium
Burzum: Der Som En Gang War
Borknagar: Colossus
Arcturus: Kinetic
Dan Swanö: Add Reality
Metallica: Master Of Puppets
Bathory: One Rode To Asa Bay
Moonsorrow: Pimeä

To answer the topic at hand...

Opeth: The Moor, Ghost of Perdition, Bleak, When, Demon of the Fall
Testament: Over The Wall, Practice What You Preach, The Legacy
Savatage: Edge of Thorns, Strange Wings, Morphine Child
Nevermore: The River Dragon Has Come
Black Sabbath: Dirty Women, Children of the Sea, Sign of the Southern Cross, Computer God, Headless Cross
Dio: Holy Diver, Don't Talk To Strangers, Last In Line, Lord of the Last Day, Killing The Dragon

Vegetaman said:
To answer the topic at hand...

Opeth: The Moor, Ghost of Perdition, Bleak, When, Demon of the Fall
Testament: Over The Wall, Practice What You Preach, The Legacy
Savatage: Edge of Thorns, Strange Wings, Morphine Child
Nevermore: The River Dragon Has Come
Black Sabbath: Dirty Women, Children of the Sea, Sign of the Southern Cross, Computer God, Headless Cross
Dio: Holy Diver, Don't Talk To Strangers, Last In Line, Lord of the Last Day, Killing The Dragon
Didn't you read the rules, no dragons in this thread. :lol:

many songs(if not all) of MoP album are better than the song itself...Orion,Damage.Inc; To live is to Die, Desolation song(metal?),Third Eye, The moor,A fair judgment, Masters Aprentice, Soul Evisceration, Mass Strangulation, The halocaust of tought......................................o wait this is my Winamp playlist:cry::err:

Vegetaman said:
What are you talking about. As an avidly insane Testament fan, I can fairly say that Metallica can't lay a finger on them. Metallica never did anything as amazing as "Over The Wall", "Alone in the Dark", "Souls of Black", "Practice What You Preach", "The New Order", "Disciples of the Watch", "The Preacher", "Into The Pit", etc... AND their whole 'The Gathering' album...

And Testament never sold out. :heh:

Testament was way fucking ahead of their time.

Masterpiece songs? Only a few come to mind

Enslaved - 793 (Slaget Om Lindisfarne)
Agalloch - In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion
Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design
Opeth - Serenity Painted Death
Arcturus - Roedt Og Svart

metallica - for whom the bell tolls
megadeth - countdown to extinction
dream theater - in the name of god
opeth - the drapery falls
pantera - cemetary gates
acdc - thunderstruck
dio - holy diver
iron maiden - flight of icarus
faith no more - the real thing (try listening before you make all the "they started nu-metal comments)
rainbow - man on the silver mountain
i could go on and on, but i could live on these songs

NineFeetUnderground said:
let me get this straight.

bloodbath? swallow the sun? nile? and cryptopsy make the cut. but metallica's master of puppets isnt a masterpiece in your eyes?

and some people continue to ask me why im so insensed and arbitrary on this forum....:zombie: :cry: :erk: o_O
Dude, phobophile is definately a metal masterpiece. IMO its the pinnacle of DM, it combines the beautiful acoustic piano with sheer brutality in such a way that it actually works; it is Cryptopsy.

metallica-welcome home (sanitarium)
metallica-the unforgiven
metallica-nothing else matters
...all the other of metallica!

gojira-from the sky
gojira-deliverance
dimmu borgir-the insight and the carthasis
dimmu borgir-progenies of the great apocalypse
dimmu borgir-king of carnaval creation
dimmu borgir-morning palace

NineFeetUnderground said:
let me get this straight.

bloodbath? swallow the sun? nile? and cryptopsy make the cut. but metallica's master of puppets isnt a masterpiece in your eyes?

and some people continue to ask me why im so insensed and arbitrary on this forum....:zombie: :cry: :erk: o_O

Yeah, that pretty much sums up what i was saying, thanks for putting your own spin on my words.