Metal you find objectively good, but hardly enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I never liked that one as well. It just sounds like death metal that was ripped from a third generation tape.
Oh, but if I actually listed every classic album I don't like and why, I could be here all day.

Summoning. Epic, symphonic metal about Lord of the Rings. :cool: I should be all over this band. Every time I try though I can't get into it. I think it partially has to do with their production.

Summoning. Epic, symphonic metal about Lord of the Rings. :cool: I should be all over this band. Every time I try though I can't get into it. I think it partially has to do with their production.

Have you tried Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame? It's their most accessible album.

Summoning were going for "wall of sound" effect.You could try cranking up the volume to get the most of it.
I agree though the production isn't all that great. It reminds me somewhat of Immolation's later albums. Quite sludgy. For instance, on Dol Guldur. I mean, the sound is very clean, but the way the music meshes with the vocals and the distortion upfront, makes it pretty jarring. And it is actually.

Dream Theater - Their instrumental and theoretical proficiency are obvious, but everything that they write just ends up sounding like an instructional video. While their collective virtuosity is impressive, their music lacks feeling of any sort and very little of what they do is even remotely catchy or memorable. Also, James LeBrie's angsty teen voice make me feel like I'm listening to a boy band.

Opeth - They can pump out one riff after another, but they can't arrange them into any coherent order. Consequently, most of their songs just sound like collections of musical ideas, rather than competent musical arrangements.
Right on the first one, wrong on the second.

Deep Purple?

Smoke on the Water annoys the fuck out of me.
Thats their worst song tbh and the only bad song off of Machine Head.

I can agree about Summoning. I tried so many times to get into them mainly because they are so epic. Been disappointed every time tho'.

Dream Theater - Their instrumental and theoretical proficiency are obvious, but everything that they write just ends up sounding like an instructional video. While their collective virtuosity is impressive, their music lacks feeling of any sort and very little of what they do is even remotely catchy or memorable. Also, James LeBrie's angsty teen voice make me feel like I'm listening to a boy band.

Opeth - They can pump out one riff after another, but they can't arrange them into any coherent order. Consequently, most of their songs just sound like collections of musical ideas, rather than competent musical arrangements.

No and no

Oh god, this.

I know that Maiden is an innovative band, but I just honestly cannot sit through an entire album. Out of what I've heard, 90% of it just strikes me as mediocre.

Yes

Deep Purple?

So is that the only song that you've actually listened to? I can't listen to that song anymore, either.

I've heard more of Deep Purple, namely machine head WDWTWA? They just don't seem to do anything for me. Smoke on the Water's overrated and that riff is so overplayed, its virtually irritating tbh. Same goes for Pearl Jam but that doesnt come under metal I guess.

I seriously recommend checking out Images and Words.
I'll look it up when I get back to school. Unfortunately, I can't do it from here because I have 28k :(

Unless James' vocals are completely different from everything else I've heard from him, don't expect me to fall in love with it though.
Mainly Black Sabbath, Dio, and Blind Guardian.
I disagree that Black Sabbath is good, even objectively. I find their music to be rather minimalistic and amature at best. I certainly can't call Ozzy a bad singer though, but I absolutely hate the sound of his voice.

I'm not familiar with Dio aside from one song, but I can kind of see what you mean about Blind Guardian. I really enjoy the song Battlefield, but I really can't get into the Twist of Myth album. While on the topic of Blind Guardian though, I feel like I should mention Kamelot* and Sonata Arctica. Both bands are very talented, play high energy music and I even like both singers, but I have a lot of trouble listening to any of their songs all the way through :(
And I've heard that DT argument a thousand times before, but it's just wrong. First of all, listen to Images and Words before you say anything, and second of all, the first disc of 6DoIT is fucking solid.
If you actually expect to convince someone that they're wrong, you're going to need to cite more than 1½ exceptions.
I know what you mean. I could never get into this band either, but I think they're just too slow for my taste. If you're into Lord of the Rings inspired metal, you might want to check out Nazgul, if you haven't already. Objectively, I think they're amazing and I do enjoy them, except for the vocals, but with any luck you won't even notice them.
Deep Purple?

I don't even find that song objectively good.
Right on the first one, wrong on the second.
Mathiäs;7283788 said:
No and no
I'm pretty sure there will always be a conflict of opinion over these bands.

* I'm re-listening to the album The Black Halo right now and I take it back :headbang:

If you actually expect to convince someone that they're wrong, you're going to need to cite more than 1½ exceptions.

Sure. WDaDU, I&W, Awake, SFAM, 6DoIT, Octavarium and SC all have great, inspired songwriting. Yeah, it's overly technical sometimes, but this is just a plus on pretty much all their albums but ToT. LaBrie's voice is, a bit annoying perhaps, but certainly does not lack emotion. I didn't like his voice at all when I first started listening to DT, but I kept listening anyway because it's not as vocal oriented as most music. Eventually, his voice grew on me and I now consider him one of my favourite vocalists.

I can see why you'd dislike Dream Theater, but you are wrong to question their songwriting skills. If you think their music sounds like something from an instrumental video, you need to listen more carefully.

Sure. WDaDU, I&W, Awake, SFAM, 6DoIT, Octavarium and SC all have great, inspired songwriting. Yeah, it's overly technical sometimes, but this is just a plus on pretty much all their albums but ToT. LaBrie's voice is, a bit annoying perhaps, but certainly does not lack emotion. I didn't like his voice at all when I first started listening to DT, but I kept listening anyway because it's not as vocal oriented as most music. Eventually, his voice grew on me and I now consider him one of my favourite vocalists.

I can see why you'd dislike Dream Theater, but you are wrong to question their songwriting skills. If you think their music sounds like something from an instrumental video, you need to listen more carefully.
I listen to and write technichal death metal, so the technical structures don't bother me, it's their lack of direction and focus when trying to bring all their ideas together into a whole song, which is pretty much the same problem I have with Opeth.

I've actually listened to all of Opeth's albums though and the only one that I slightly enjoyed was Ghost Reveries, which everyone seems to insist is their worst album. I have Dream Theater's Train of Thought album, but the only song that I can ever get into is Stream of Consciousness. I'll check out their other albums when I get back to school, but like I mentioned earlier, most of their work so far hasn't encouraged me to check out the rest of their stuff.

Deicide - Legion

I cannnot get into that album for some reason. I fucking love the first one, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.