metal

Arasmas

New Metal Member
Jun 15, 2007
Beijing
ok guys here is my long overdue treatise on heavy metal. basically what it comes down to is that 99.99999999% of it is absolutely terrible, and there are only a few classic bands that are actually worth listening to. so i won't deny that i enjoy some metallica, sabbath, opeth, etc. from time to time. but these people on this forum that basically listen to 100% metal are completely retarded.

ok well obviously if you are a teenager then you are excused for being a little naive, i mean when i was in high school i listened to a lot of metal bands. but the point is I GREW OUT OF IT. i can't even believe these 20-somethings (not to mention 30-somethings and above) that actually still listen to and respect metal like it's some kind of serious music.

this kind of brings me around to a point i have about the music listening habits of the entire world population. that is, people tend to like what they liked when they were teenagers, for their whole lives. we all know the baby boomer parent types that only listen to buffalo springfield and mountain and whatever. in comparison - for many people my age, metal was the music we loved during our formative high school years. and this is fine. every kid is an idiot, and since we are easily swayed by trends and other people's dumb opinions during these years, we usually like shitty music.

the thing is, people like me have learned that there are other worlds of music out there that simply put metal to shame. i simply cannot understand how somebody could be exposed to such extraordinarily mind-expanding musicians as bob dylan, neil young, the rolling stones, john coltrane, j.s. bach, and beethoven, and STILL want to listen to metal. literally the only reason i listen to metal these days is for an occasional dose of nostalgia.

the only conclusion i can draw from this is that people above the age of say, 20, who still list above 50% of their favorite bands as metal bands, are musically stunted. these people do not have the capacity to appreciate music. but naturally they don't realize this about themselves - they think they are the best musical critics they know. and it is impossible to persuade them otherwise - somewhat akin to trying to persuade a fundamentalist mormon that there is no god. nothing you can put into words will have any effect on them whatsoever.

but of course, they will staunchly defend their love of the world's most self-parodic genre. but don't worry - i've heard all the arguments in the book. and here's the thing - i'm someone who has been there and back. i KNOW why people like metal. because i kinda do, in a way. but i've realized that it is nothing more than a fun, kitschy alternative to real music.

thank you for your time.

-wes

LOL...post of the week! ===>Retard!

Honestly, I think you completly out of the track. How you can juge someones taste. Anybody could say stuff like that. I could say, you can appreciate music cuz you stuck in the 70's!. Ho he only listens to rap so he's childish and dont like music! This is going nowhere. Plus, saying that metal in a non-serious music is probably the dumbest thing I've heard this week. Metal is probably a style of music that is too serious sometimes.

I mostly listens to metal because it's my favorite musc. It's a passion.I also listen to a lot of prog, rock, folk and classic stuff. But this doesn't means I'm dumb!

How old are u?16...and saying you listen to metal for nostalgia:heh: This post is completly childish.

You know why you cannot persuarde believers that there is not god? Because you cannot tell anything about it, you cannot proove it. Truth is not. And this comparison/metaphor explains all I think about your post. I won't explain or argue about it, because it's only a point of view, nothing else. Furthermore, it's even only a personnal experience, and if it's the way you react toward metal, so be it. Who cares. Whenever you get good or valid argument to explain why metal is silly, reply please.

Nice post below, I really am starting to see Arasmas as someone who seems to deny his past only because he was younger and more naive. Metal was essentiel for you to learn these things (that may be the only proof that metal is silly, lol), so next are you going to kill your mother or is it done already?

- they think they are the best musical critics they know.

Aren't you, right now, acting a bit like that yourself? Like you are the best musical critic then?!

You are taking a very objective view of music here and you're basically saying that YOU know more about real music and what's good than metal fans, as if this makes it THE TRUTH.

I don't think so. You can't speak for everyone, cause you simply can not go inside other people's head to see how they perceive different kinds of music. Ever thought that some people may have started with classical music or The Rolling Stones or whatever, but then grew out of it the same way you "grew out" of metal. Some people may now only listen to Neil Young or the Rolling Stones for the nostalgia. They may now laugh at that stuff and listen to... I don't know... Opeth? And like it better.

On the other hand, I do agree with you that it's really weird when you see people whose favourite bands are all metal. But so what? Some people pretty much only listen to country, others only listen to 20+ years old rock music, some people only listen to The Beatles and they all like it that way. It's very propable that they haven't even properly taken a look at other kinds of music, but that's their loss.

And yeah, I have to say here that my view of music is very, very, very limited. I'm 17, had a huge metal phase two years ago. Only for about the last year or so have I been looking extensively for stuff that has nothing to with metal.

But the biggest difference between us is that I don't see metal as being inferior to anything. Other types of music contain a lot of shit too. Metal is a part of the "real music" as much as whatever you may be listening. You liking Bach and Beethoven doesn't make your music taste perfect.

I am reminded of a quote by Steven King: "I'm a salami writer. I try to write good salami, but salami is salami. You can't sell it as caviar."

I think metal is a salami genre. 99% of it can't even begin to come close to the harmonic complexities of e.g. classical or jazz, or even generate the same kind of deep emotional response. But there are things you get in metal that you don't get from any other genre, either: there are very few other genres that can create the raw visceral feeling that metal does. I'm not saying those types of atmospheres don't exist at all outside of metal, just that they're less common. So for me, listening to metal is kind of like reading Steven King; I'm expecting to be entertained and thrilled, but I'm not looking for deep, thought-provoking literature.

basically what it comes down to is that 99.99999999% of it is absolutely terrible, and there are only a few classic bands that are actually worth listening to.

First of all good post, I should admit but it's written in a kinda forced adult/mature view. For example this statement holds true for most of the populer music.. Maybe classical music may be hold as an exception but it is not that popular anyways.

That being said, there is no need to bash the good/productive groups too just because they are metal.

Also your tastes may not be disputed however, you mentioned Neil Young, and Hey hey my my into the black is one of his famous songs right? There is only one pattern throughout the the whole song, in the first three minutes of Heir Apparent you hear 4 times more riff, no need to say the riffs are more complicated and for me sounds better. My point is you are overreactive or this post is written in a touchy mood of yours.

With a revise this post should make a good example maybe..

Arasmas - I am 43yo. I listen to New Age, Jazz, the Blues, Classical, all kinds of world music, most 80's pop still makes me smile...yet I would estimate that well over 50% of my favorite bands are considered metal bands - I guess I'm musically stunted :Smug:

Why must you always be on about insulting others' taste in music? Does it somehow make you feel better about yourself? Or are you really just a little troll who is only trying to get under everyone's skin?

I think this entire post is applaud-worthy.

ttytt I disagree with some of your points - for example, you say that older people who are still into metal heavily are musically stunted. some people, maybe. others, perhaps they've tried to get into other genres (such as jazz, classical, blues, etc etc etc) and just come back to metal because they can't gain the appreciation for those other genres. maybe they just don't like the music and what it does (or doesn't do) for them. being a deaf dolt is one thing, but genuinely trying to like other styles of music and just not liking it is another. that's where I disagree.

on the other hand, a lot of people who listen to metal are close-minded - just like the baby boomer generation is, or just like people born in the 20s or 30s are (if they can even still hear :erk:). and tbh when I read your post, I think that you're more addressing those people (the deaf dolts) rather than people who try to get into music and just can't like it, for whatever their reasons may be.

for example, metal-archives is a site where elitism runs rampant, maybe just as much as a site like anus. a big majority of the posters there are some of the most self-aggrandizing "know-it-all" "musical elite" that exists in ANY genre of music, much less one as (arguably) small as metal is. they believe that any genre other than metal sucks or is of lesser value, when in fact it's quite the opposite. metal is generally a self-parodying genre that doesn't hold a whole lot of artistic merit in the grand scheme of things, and that's what they don't understand.

am I right, arasmas?

I'm on a tangent now so I'll stop and wait for replies before going further.

Rattlin_Rapala_Fishing_Lure-06786_bs.jpg

I like a ton of metal but I won't deny most of what I like is due to teen angst and isn't musical genius or something.

Some points I agree with Arasmas but he is tarring everyone with the same brush a bit. At the end of the day people like what they like and people should spend more time enjoying what they like then worrying about the complexity or intellutualisms of the style of music they listen to as it is hardly worth it.

Metal likes to think it is on a higher plane for the most part, because a lot of individuals like to feel they know something the whole world doesn't. And metal is a very self-parodying genre (particularly the longer it goes on), and the 99% arguement is really almost valid right across the board of any musical style (for me at least as I can usually find something I enjoy or admire but I think it has to do with being brought up in a household with so many varying sounds).

In saying all this, liking 'different things' for the sake of liking something different is just as pointless. If metal (for example) is all that someone wants to listen to, then more power to them, that's their personal preference.

At the end of the day people are still too worried about how their musical taste - and via that themselves - are preceived by other people but, hey, that is human nature - we judge and measures ourselves against others.

Also your tastes may not be disputed however, you mentioned Neil Young, and Hey hey my my into the black is one of his famous songs right? There is only one pattern throughout the the whole song, in the first three minutes of Heir Apparent you hear 4 times more riff, no need to say the riffs are more complicated and for me sounds better. My point is you are overreactive or this post is written in a touchy mood of yours.

so what are you saying exactly? out of n.y.'s gigantic, rich, extensive catalog, there is one song you think is rather simple? well i hate to break it to you, but a lot of neil young's music (not to mention a lot of really great music) is very simple on the surface, but that's disregarding subtext, as well as subtleties in the performance that are nonexistent in music as blunt as metal, where everything is basically full-volume all the time

Arasmas, we all have theories and ideas, and I do respect yours. However, you do come across as high-brow and somewhat arrogant. To say some are "musically stunted" is a perfect example of this. Music is an art, that when executed well , should move the listener, regardless of genre or what an individual prefers. Believe me, when I say, your "treatise" as you called your initial post will not sway my listening profile in anyway. Try and get over yourself. When you achieve some humility, then your on the road to being enlightened. Don't assume you know what is good for others on this forum. When all is said and done it will come down to "you either like it or you don't" Peace.

so what are you saying exactly? out of n.y.'s gigantic, rich, extensive catalog, there is one song you think is rather simple? well i hate to break it to you, but a lot of neil young's music (not to mention a lot of really great music) is very simple on the surface, but that's disregarding subtext, as well as subtleties in the performance that are nonexistent in music as blunt as metal, where everything is basically full-volume all the time

:lol: So if a song is simple in it's structure it can still be subtle beneath the surface, but if a song is simple in dynamics it can't? What's the logic here :loco:

Maybe your musical ear is stunted, if you can't hear the subtleties in metal music? I'm not saying there aren't crappy, shallow and non-subtle metal bands in bunches, but your percentage rate is just ridiculously wrong in my book, and there are as many crappy, shallow and non-subtle bands/artists in most genres. There's even a lot of crappy, shallow and non-subtle classical music, believe it or not!