Metalcore

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is straight-up hardcore (disregarding hardcore punk for a minute)? The only bands I can think of in the genre are Throwdown and Hatebreed, really.

Hm...well, Since The Flood is a pretty good example and I just mentioned them. Terror, Bury Your Dead, Evergreen Terrace, etc. are all hardcore and not really metalcore.

The Flood aren't bad. I could do without the excessive breakdowns, though.

I'm actually starting to dig some of the straight edge groups as well. xTyrantx and xKill Everyonex are pretty fucking good and have a strong old school hardcore punk influence.

Well, there's the breakdown-based songwriting, vocal trade-offs (not really required in metalcore but it's the genre that currently uses them most), some old-school "-core" influence in the tempos and shit, and overly chuggy guitar riffs...I tend to agree with you, that shit is way too gay to be real metalcore :p

I doubt most metalcore kids even know who Discharge is, so I don't see how they got thrown in as an influence.

Maybe. The younger Scene kids I've come across seem to be just as ignorant of punk as they are of metal.

Because those kids are usually influenced by the likes of Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Atreyu, Job For A Cowboy, Unearth (I like them but that's irrelevant), etc. They're usually influenced by current trends.

Unearth are one of the better modern mainstream-core bands...they don't pussy out or anything like KSE does. The Oncoming Storm has a bunch of good riffs and solos.

Did anyone listen to The Concubine when I posted them?

Yeah, Unearth and Parkway Drive are the only two mainstream metalcore bands I can think of that don't really compromise their music.

I listened to The Concubine. I liked it. :)

Because those kids are usually influenced by the likes of Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Atreyu, Job For A Cowboy, Unearth (I like them but that's irrelevant), etc. They're usually influenced by current trends.

Everyone always hates on jfac :mad::mad::mad::mad:

ill like em till the end.

edit: mostly because of them, i wouldnt have discovered good death metal.