Metalcore

Bands like Despised Icon have hardcore riffs in them. What's not to get? Listen to Despised Icon and then listen to a straight death metal band and you would hear a difference.

I've never heard a hardcore punk band with a heavy metal riff like Despised Icon. I've listened to them back-to-back with traditional death and I don't see where the supposed punk comes in.

Breakdowns aren't specifically punk, Metallica, Pantera, plenty of bands did them before metalcore. And I haven't heard these so-called hardcore riffs in Despised Icon. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I kind of agree with SouthernTrendkill. In terms of the content of the music the vast majority of deathcore(and most metalcore) bands aren't doing anything new that hasn't already been done by a shitload of metal bands in the past/present. So in that regard, I don't think the music can be pegged as somehow "less" metal.

It's just that the 'deathcore/metalcore "scene" happens to have its roots more firmly planted in the "hardcore scene" as opposed to the "metal scene".

I kind of agree with SouthernTrendkill. In terms of the content of the music the vast majority of deathcore(and most metalcore) bands aren't doing anything new that hasn't already been done by a shitload of metal bands in the past/present. So in that regard, I don't think the music can be pegged as somehow "less" metal.

It's just that the 'deathcore/metalcore "scene" happens to have its roots more firmly planted in the "hardcore scene" as opposed to the "metal scene".

:kickass: Thank you so much, that's exactly how I feel. I don't get exposed to the scenes very much but from what I've seen, that's exactly where the distinction lies.

:kickass: Thank you so much, that's exactly how I feel. I don't get exposed to the scenes very much but from what I've seen, that's exactly where the distinction lies.
I'm sorry but both of you are just wrong by definition. The riffs are there. It has nothing to do with the scene. I'm sure if you ask V5, who likes both death metal and metalcore, he'd be sure to tell you the same thing.

Well I like both death metal and metalcore, they're my 2 favorite genres of all-time. So I'd know too. Just because people SAY that it's something doesn't mean that the evidence is really there. I still can't find non-metallic hardcore riffs in The Ills of Modern Man.

There is plenty of hardcore in The Ills Of Modern Man. But then again there's plenty of hardcore in Reign In Blood as well. Breakdowns and all.

Metalcore is influenced by new hardcore. I can agree that there's very little old school hardcore punk influence in metalcore.

The metal that's influenced by old-school punk is usually termed "crossover."

Tell ohiogrinder that so he shuts up.

Metalcore thats been kicking my ass lately:

Faust Again
Maroon
7 Angels 7 Plagues
Fear My Thoughts
Raunchy
Parkway Drive

Show me. Show me how the supposed "punk" elements in an album like Despised Icon's The Ills of Modern Man haven't already been a part of metal for years. 'Cause you know what? They have. All the aspects of punk's heaviness have been in metal since the 80s, and I can't find anything in the aforementioned album that connects it to punk other than the things that were already an important part of metal. It truly is metal connecting back to itself.

The Ills Of Modern Man is definitely more death metal than The Healing Process (although it's also shit in comparison to The Healing Process), but you should still be able to notice the hardcore influence...mainly in some of the chords they use, because they're not commonly used in pure death metal. Also the speaking vocals and some of the screaming definitely show hardcore influence. On a more random note, their drummer is amazing :D