Metalcore

anyone whos seen ion dissonance live can vouch that theyre horrible

Iondissonance.jpg

First of all, ION DISSONANCE is fucking awesome. And if you like them you should also check out Crowpath, because they are like a more metal version of ID.

Second, I actually really like Minus the Herd. They're just trying to go in a different musical direction with it. Instead of just making yet more fast mathy/technical hardcore (something every other fucking band is trying to do right now), they're making HC based heavily on catchy rhythm and infectious crushing beats. And on that note they succeed with MTH. If you can get into the groove of the album, it absolutely crushes.

If you really just don't like their new direction then fine, but don't fault them for trying to do something different from the rest of the herd.

I liked it too, but my favorite is definitely Breathing Is Irrelevant. Oceanic Motion, Failure In The Process Of Identifying A Dream and the two Binary tracks are awesome!

they did a split with despised icon, who are pretty great, therefore I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt

that said I will now go listen to them

also! where's the line between bands like pig destroyer (typically considered grindcore or "grind 2.0" or some such) versus some of the more brutal deathcore/metalcore stuff?

Pig Destroyer may not be part of the raw punky origins of the genre but they are grindcore in a broad sense.

who's heard the new dead to fall? really top stuff. i had never heard anything from them before. very impressive.